Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Beliefs (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Is there such a thing as good or bad karma? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=148376)

ReturningMoon 19-02-2024 05:30 PM

Is there such a thing as good or bad karma?

Hi everyone. I think this is an interesting topic. Let's say I choose to *deleted*. I decide not to report myself to the police
so instead I just get eaten up by guilt for it for the rest of my life.
That might not be bad karma but just what I chose to experience by free will.
This is just hypothetical but do you think there is such a thing as good and bad karma?

Miss Hepburn 19-02-2024 05:59 PM

Let's drop the word karma and it's many connotations...similar to people having many ideas about the word "God".

You ask for what we think. I think what goes around comes around ...the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
We reap what we sow.
If I plant/sow corn...I will reap/get corn...not tomatoes.
Good and bad ? Pleasant and unpleasant? Do we get what we put out, thus, deserve..I 'think' so.

FallingLeaves 19-02-2024 07:01 PM

the rules seem to be, if I do something, I can expect it to be done back to me. so, reap what you sow, golden rule, karma, etc...

Starman 19-02-2024 09:35 PM

I do not feel karma is good or bad; the word “karma” is a Sanskrit word mostly used in eastern cultures. Other phrases that refer to karma are “you reap what you sow,” which is in the Christian Bible, “what goes around comes around,” which is spoken of on the street and is akin to karma.

Karma is not good or bad, it literally means “actions.” Actions include our thoughts, our words, and our deeds or behavior. What we put out we get back; it is neither good nor bad, it’s just the universe balancing itself. We are homeostatic creatures, our mind, our body, and emotions, are always seeking balance.

Some people think of karma as a debt which they owe. It is neither good nor bad, it is just energy balancing itself. To avoid what many call karma, keep your mind quiet, speak only with kindness, and dedicate your actions or behavior to serving others and God. This is my view of the word “karma.”

peteyzen 19-02-2024 10:54 PM

Im with Starman. Well explained. The pivotal point of karma (THE THING THAT CREATES IT) IS INTENT. SO KARMA IS NEITHER GOOD OR BAD,WE SIMPLY CREATE WHAT WE INTEND IN THIIS LIFE. AND THAT CREATION RETURNS TO US.M
MY TEACHER DESCRIBED WHAT WE CREATED AS SKILLFUL OR UNSKILLFUL KARMA, AS IN WHAT HELPS US OR WHAT DOES NOT.

Unseeking Seeker 20-02-2024 01:58 AM

Being in ignorance of our true being or Self …
If we say ‘good’ is what takes us nearer to the truth
And ‘bad’ is what immerses us deeper in delusion or in trance
Then perhaps we may look at thoughts, words and deeds objectively

An action is preceded by thought and thought originates in the heart
If heart is quiescent then there is no thought and hence no ego
The actions then done are in resonance with will of God
Simply because false ego-identity has disappeared

So, what then is karma but action in ignorance
As long as ego-identification exists, karma plays out
However when we wake up in the dream, the life play ends
The dreamer and dreamed now one, all that is, is time dissolved bliss