Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Mediumship (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   still working it (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143054)

bobjob 24-02-2022 07:38 PM

still working it

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn: Is that the exact wording of the expression?
Quote:

That's bobjob's world, there is no equivalent :)
not so - maybe folk know this maxim better: "All mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums." different phaseology, same overall meaning

Quote:

I understand, you see mediumship as an evolved version of psychicness.
not so - Psychic awareness doesn't necessarily precede and evolve into mediumship. So-called natural mediums have their attribute seemingly from birth and don't necessarily change from being psychics into being mediums. Another maxim is: "Mediums are born and not made." That one often brings howls of protest from those claiming mediumship can be taught.

Quote:

So there could be mediums that are very poor psychics.
That's a curious way to put it but an interesting one for mediums to respond to. Do mediums consider their psychic attributes to be as important as their mediumship ones? Do mediums consider themselves eqally as psychics? Would an experienced medium care whether she is seen as a "poor psychic" - however one might define a 'poor psychic'?

Guillaume 25-02-2022 12:31 PM

Here we've got something interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_psychic_abilities

So, to me, there could be mediums that haven't developed many other psychic abilities, and psychic people that developed many but not mediumship.

Many of them require some practice, but mediumship doesn't (very much).

bobjob 25-02-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guillaume
So, to me, there could be mediums that haven't developed many other psychic abilities, and psychic people that developed many but not mediumship.

You appear to EXPECT that mediums develop a number of psychic attributes, the kind Wkipedia lists, as a consequence of their being mediums. I find that somewhat bottom about face. Additionally just because Wiki has listed so many different psychic attributes it doesn't necessarily mean they're all commonplace and it doesn't imply any particular psychic will have all or even many of them.

As I pointed out earlier, those I call sensitives or psychics won't necessarily develop into being mediums. "Mediums are born and not made."

Quote:

I have no understanding about what, or how much, practice psychics need to become proficient - it's not my speciality. But providing mediumship isn't necessarily any different inasmuch as the delivery of any particular 'flavour' of mediumship can probably be improved by learning and practising.

Those mediums who say they have never needed to learn or practise are exceedingly fortunate but alternatively they may be over-confident they are 'performing' at their highest level. It's their personal judgement about that but others may view their delivery less generously.

BigJohn 25-02-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Here we've got something interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_psychic_abilities

I found your reference to be interesting. The title of the reference is List of psychic abilities. According to that List, one of the abilities of a Psychic is ..... Mediumship.

Guillaume 25-02-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
I found your reference to be interesting the title of the reference is List of psychic abilities. According to that List, one of the abilities of a Psychic is ..... Mediumship.

Yep, right, that was my first reaction! It's just one of them, that's it.

However ... I tend to think that there is a bit more to it, because some psychic abilities can be developed at the heart level, but mediumship, to me, occurs at the 3rd eye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob
I have no understanding about what, or how much, practice psychics need to become proficient - it's not my speciality.

In Patanjali's yoga sutras:
"Accomplishments may be attained through birth, the use of herbs, incantations, self-discipline or samadhi".

I can testify that developing samadhi revealed psychic abilities for me, including the ability to channel (living) people and sense spirits.
Have I improved them or have I just recovered what I had at birth, I don't know.

BigJohn 25-02-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/search.php

EXCERPT

As I pointed out earlier, those I call sensitives or psychics won't necessarily develop into being mediums. "Mediums are born and not made."

The first place I have found of the usage of that expression is by Billy Roberts in his book "Psychology of a Medium: And A Look At The Paranormal And The World Of Mediums" which apparently was published less then 10 years ago.

From what Guillaume previously wrote, It appears Mediums are a subset of Psychics.

BigJohn 25-02-2022 07:50 PM

Quote:

EXCERPT

Yep, right, that was my first reaction! It's just one of them, that's it.

However ... I tend to think that there is a bit more to it, because some psychic abilities can be developed at the heart level, but mediumship, to me, occurs at the 3rd eye.

The problem seems based off of definitions. I use what appears to be how the word Medium was first used with this connotation. There are some others that use the word like I do and then there are others that use the word Medium with a different meaning. As for those that have changed the definition of the word Medium, if they can explain the reason for doing that, it might reduce the friction it has caused created.

bobjob 25-02-2022 11:31 PM

Quote:

"Accomplishments may be attained through birth, the use of herbs, incantations, self-discipline or samadhi". I can testify that developing samadhi revealed psychic abilities for me, including the ability to channel (living) people and sense spirits.
Have I improved them or have I just recovered what I had at birth, I don't know.

I won't pretend I understand any of the above but it's heartening you have found it helpful.

I don't understand what you mean by channeling living peoplel but I recognise what you mean when you say you sense spirits - that's what I mean when I refer to 'a sensitive'.

Guillaume 26-02-2022 07:02 AM

Quote:

I don't understand what you mean by channeling living people

I can do readings for people. If I focus on someone who is willing to share, I can read them. But I never do it, or just for fun once in while.

Guillaume 26-02-2022 07:18 AM

Quote:

I won't pretend I understand any of the above but it's heartening you have found it helpful.

You need to understand it, especially if your specialty is mediumship! This is very scientific.

In the Eastern traditions, the development of samadhi (single point concentration) comes with the development of psychic abilities. It just happens, it has been described in sutras, commented etc etc, and anyone can do it (maybe not in this life, but the next or the next).

So psychic abilities are nothing supernatural, they are not a gift, they are not a belief, they develop naturally if we work out our attention and energy.