Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non Duality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Doing and Happening (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136412)

Uday_Advaita 28-07-2020 03:11 AM

Doing and Happening

Doing and Happening

Eckhart Tolle has famously said in his book – The Power of Now:

1. “Doing and Happening are NOT different.”

More than 2500 years ago, the Master Gautam Buddha said it differently:

2. “Events happen, deeds get done, there is no individual doer thereof.”

It takes a while for the profoundness of the above teachings to sink in. I have been struck with the simplicity and depth of these teachings and if I were to put forth my takeaways / experiential understanding, it would be:

a) Every Doing is a happening because if an Event is to happen, the necessary effort will also happen.
b) Conversely every Happening may not be a doing by someone as Events do happen naturally
c) Events happen, regardless of whatever efforts you may take to prevent them from happening.
d) Events do not happen, regardless of whatever efforts you may take to make them happen.
e) All actions / non-actions, doings or no-doings, that originate from humans do not need to pass the test of Good or Bad, Right or Wrong, as these are part of (but not separate from) the totality of functioning of this phenomenal World.
f) Feeling Guilty, Blaming yourself or the “Other”, Judging the ‘Other” as right or wrong for something done or not done either by you or by the Other – would only lead to strife and disharmony.
g) You will never ever get answer to the question – “Why” something happened or did not happen. The simplest answer is “Why not”, - in other words – acceptance of “what is” at this moment will remove all your doubts
h) Total conviction of the above teaching would lead to lasting peace and harmony.

As I usually say at the end of my post – Easier said than done.

Namaskar

Moondance 29-07-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
Doing and Happening

It takes a while for the profoundness of the above teachings to sink in. I have been struck with the simplicity and depth of these teachings and if I were to put forth my takeaways / experiential understanding, it would be:

a) Every Doing is a happening because if an Event is to happen, the necessary effort will also happen.
b) Conversely every Happening may not be a doing by someone as Events do happen naturally
c) Events happen, regardless of whatever efforts you may take to prevent them from happening.
d) Events do not happen, regardless of whatever efforts you may take to make them happen.
e) All actions / non-actions, doings or no-doings, that originate from humans do not need to pass the test of Good or Bad, Right or Wrong, as these are part of (but not separate from) the totality of functioning of this phenomenal World.
f) Feeling Guilty, Blaming yourself or the “Other”, Judging the ‘Other” as right or wrong for something done or not done either by you or by the Other – would only lead to strife and disharmony.
g) You will never ever get answer to the question – “Why” something happened or did not happen. The simplest answer is “Why not”, - in other words – acceptance of “what is” at this moment will remove all your doubts
h) Total conviction of the above teaching would lead to lasting peace and harmony.

Namaskar

Hi Uday - nice post. Yes it is easier said than done.

Every human organism has the deeply innate and conditioned will to survive and enhance itself. This innate will (or conatus as Spinoza understood it) often contradicts our spiritual insights and aspirations. Especially when it comes to the complexities involved in acceptance. Accepting a situation where, for instance, someone has gravely assaulted a loved one is difficult - precisely because it is meant to be difficult!

Sometimes the only recourse is to accept that it’s difficult to accept. Because that’s how it is… That’s how IT is!

inavalan 29-07-2020 06:49 PM

This seems like getting in front of "the door" and telling yourself that that is the supreme achievement, while looking down to all those who open the door and get in.

HITESH SHAH 30-07-2020 05:48 AM

useful partially only

This is useful partially only to people of certain age in certain situation . It does lack in definitive answer to complex situation and inspiration to work had and persist in right ways.

Iamit 30-07-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Doing and Happening

Namaskar

If the manifestation is indeed infinate then it is never "Why is this happening?" but rather that this is how it must be otherwise the manifestation would not be infinate.

If there is no doer then there is noone to have personal responsibility, to practise, or to become enlighened. The teaching of no doer is like saying there is only enlightenment but noone being it, or the status quo is already what is sought.

Uday_Advaita 30-07-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moondance
Hi Uday - nice post. Yes it is easier said than done.

Every human organism has the deeply innate and conditioned will to survive and enhance itself. This innate will (or conatus as Spinoza understood it) often contradicts our spiritual insights and aspirations. Especially when it comes to the complexities involved in acceptance. Accepting a situation where, for instance, someone has gravely assaulted a loved one is difficult - precisely because it is meant to be difficult!

Sometimes the only recourse is to accept that it’s difficult to accept. Because that’s how it is… That’s how IT is!

Thanks Moondance for a wonderful insight
I have often asked this question as to how a sage would react when some one gravely assaulted a loved one. Well the answer is, it can't be premeditated. Something that will happen spontaneously. In case the event has already happened, the sage may possibly react by seeking a legal remedy.
When Nisargadatta maharaj was asked a similar question, he simply said - "I don't know" Though everyone laughed at the reply - that was the most honest answer.
True acceptance, however difficult, would come on the teaching going to the deepest corner of the heart.
Namaskar

Uday_Advaita 30-07-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inavalan
This seems like getting in front of "the door" and telling yourself that that is the supreme achievement, while looking down to all those who open the door and get in.

Thanks
Namaskar

Uday_Advaita 30-07-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
This is useful partially only to people of certain age in certain situation . It does lack in definitive answer to complex situation and inspiration to work had and persist in right ways.

Your experience is your guide. I know it is difficult in complex situation.
That is what "seeking" is all about
Namaskar

Uday_Advaita 30-07-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamit
If the manifestation is indeed infinate then it is never "Why is this happening?" but rather that this is how it must be otherwise the manifestation would not be infinate.

If there is no doer then there is noone to have personal responsibility, to practise, or to become enlighened. The teaching of no doer is like saying there is only enlightenment but noone being it, or the status quo is already what is sought.

True!
The core teaching is that there is Noone to practice, try and get enlightened. When the event happens for a MindBody, it is impersonal as there is truly Noone to enjoy the enlightenment.
Namaskar

HITESH SHAH 30-07-2020 02:14 PM

dont agree

Quote:

True!
The core teaching is that there is Noone to practice, try and get enlightened. When the event happens for a MindBody, it is impersonal as there is truly Noone to enjoy the enlightenment.
Namaskar

Experiences of advanced guides don't match with this narrative of enlightenment.