Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Meditation (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Silencing the mind. (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=137700)

thisguyscott 01-11-2020 05:59 AM

Silencing the mind.
 
When I am not consciously aware of my thoughts they can easily consume me. So i tried a meditation of silencing the mind. I first start observing the thoughts that go through my mind and images and feelings. I then start to shut them down as they come into my mind. Not always easy. But as each thought is silenced there seems to be another layer of thought behind it so I silence it and on and on. As I get deeper and deeper I notice things become peaceful and less thought emerges. To a point where I am just an observer of nothingness. But after that experience when I let myself think again. I begin to wonder if the act of observing is a thought or just being. Is my true self just the observer or is it a thought process to. Is there a layer beyond the observer I guess. Anyone else practice that type of meditation? If so. Anyone have any opinion on it?

BigJohn 01-11-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisguyscott
When I am not consciously aware of my thoughts they can easily consume me. So i tried a meditation of silencing the mind. I first start observing the thoughts that go through my mind and images and feelings. I then start to shut them down as they come into my mind. Not always easy. But as each thought is silenced there seems to be another layer of thought behind it so I silence it and on and on. As I get deeper and deeper I notice things become peaceful and less thought emerges. To a point where I am just an observer of nothingness. But after that experience when I let myself think again. I begin to wonder if the act of observing is a thought or just being. Is my true self just the observer or is it a thought process to. Is there a layer beyond the observer I guess. Anyone else practice that type of meditation? If so. Anyone have any opinion on it?


Just my musings.............

I like doing walking meditations.
For me, the mind seems to naturally quiet itself during this form of meditation. I get to the point where a different reality comes in to focus. There is no pain, no discomforts and then the magick begins to happen. Sometimes it is so real, I can't tell the difference from what is perceived to be real.

Green.Heals 01-11-2020 09:29 AM

So this likely won't help you in what you're asking at all, but just sharing experiences.

I never really thought I meditated much. Mindfulness here, and there, and I've been practicing a little bit more as of late, through guided meditations.

Lately however, I very much enjoy to lie in complete quietness. & I don't know I've not had any experiences in anything beyond reality, well in this regard, but just that, it is SUPER RELAXING. I am just there, observing the room, the inanimate things in the room. I have no thought on them, and I have no thoughts. Which for me is unusual. I'm able to stop it all.

I really quite like it.

thisguyscott 02-11-2020 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Just my musings.............

I like doing walking meditations.
For me, the mind seems to naturally quiet itself during this form of meditation. I get to the point where a different reality comes in to focus. There is no pain, no discomforts and then the magick begins to happen. Sometimes it is so real, I can't tell the difference from what is perceived to be real.


In those meditations do you ever experience seeing spirits and such. Do you feel the energies off the trees and such. I have had experiences like this though not really a trying to meditate on the walk.

thisguyscott 02-11-2020 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green.Heals
So this likely won't help you in what you're asking at all, but just sharing experiences.

I never really thought I meditated much. Mindfulness here, and there, and I've been practicing a little bit more as of late, through guided meditations.

Lately however, I very much enjoy to lie in complete quietness. & I don't know I've not had any experiences in anything beyond reality, well in this regard, but just that, it is SUPER RELAXING. I am just there, observing the room, the inanimate things in the room. I have no thought on them, and I have no thoughts. Which for me is unusual. I'm able to stop it all.

I really quite like it.


So it sounds like you don't have to actively silence your mind like I do. You just stop all thought and be. I know it can be very relaxing. For me when all the thoughts stop I feel a real sense of peace. I think that is my natural state. Just at peace and happiness. Do you feel anything like a sense of peace and happiness. Or is there just nothing in your emotions.

wstein 02-11-2020 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisguyscott
So it sounds like you don't have to actively silence your mind like I do. You just stop all thought and be. I know it can be very relaxing. For me when all the thoughts stop I feel a real sense of peace. I think that is my natural state. Just at peace and happiness. Do you feel anything like a sense of peace and happiness. Or is there just nothing in your emotions.

Stopping all thought IS a method of actively silencing your mind.

When you have inner silence as the default state, it takes activity to start the internal thought commotion (AKA monkey mind).

Emotions, thoughts, physical fidgeting, spiritual angst are all akin. These are all unnecessary and distracting commotions, that can be allowed to cease (through meditation or other method). With enough meditation, the ceased peaceful state (inner stillness) is the default.

peteyzen 06-11-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

But after that experience when I let myself think again. I begin to wonder if the act of observing is a thought or just being. Is my true self just the observer or is it a thought process to. Is there a layer beyond the observer I guess. Anyone else practice that type of meditation? If so. Anyone have any opinion on it?
The mind was stilled, it stopped, then the practice ceased and the mind rushed in, `is there an observer?` `Is it being?` `I wonder...?` The mind was shackled and is now so pleased to be free to ask to negotiate, to consider. ....hopefully to mess up the next shackling and keep free.
Some things cant be thought through, thought is between where you are now and where you are trying to reach, just follow the process. Keep shackling.

BigJohn 06-11-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisguyscott
In those meditations do you ever experience seeing spirits and such. Do you feel the energies off the trees and such. I have had experiences like this though not really a trying to meditate on the walk.


During those meditations, I have experienced a lot of spirits and what some call the supernatural.

snowyowl 06-11-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisguyscott
I begin to wonder if the act of observing is a thought or just being. Is my true self just the observer or is it a thought process to. Is there a layer beyond the observer I guess. Anyone else practice that type of meditation? If so. Anyone have any opinion on it?



To me this sounds like the difference between dual and nondual states of mind. Some folks regard the attainment of a nondual state as the main point of meditation, and I think you can reach it from any technique. In this approach, the 'true self' is discovered when the duality collapses into unity, the observer and observed merge into One. Thought is seen as just one function among all the others and no more special than breathing or growing your hair, for example. This is connected with Buddhist ideas of no-self too, in which case the true self is the whole, the unity, the entire universe!

I suppose I don't practice meditation for this specifically, but I can see a place for both modes of awareness, moving between having a separate self/observer for regular type of everyday life; and merging with the infinite whole occasionally, as a reminder that I am part of a greater spiritual whole. Or small self / big self if you prefer that language.


Miss Hepburn 07-11-2020 01:22 AM

This 'thing' ...consumed by thoughts.
I was in a small group (5?) late one sweet, summer night while the ashram slept..
with a bald, saffroned-robed 'person', no labels...saint, guru, teacher, mahatma, sadhu...ok?
Way over 4 decades ago.

And, oh, he taught us so many things.
One simple thing he said, (regarding meditation), in that adorable Indian accent -
"If you must think, then think this...'I know You are there. I know :) You are there.
I will wait. I will sit here and I will wait for You.
Show Yourself - I know You are there! I know You are hiding.
I will sit here and I will wait!
I know You there. '
Lol. :hug3:

Talk to God :smile:---Don't be consumed by thoughts, my friends.
It's a Dance - it's a Game...enjoy the longing, the pulling and
the drawing of you in... closer and closer..His hand over hand, slowly pulling...
like pulling a row boat to shore. :notworthy:
Feel it...as the perfection of your life brings you to Him...to the One,
Home ...to your Father, your Source of Being.

That's my input to this topic, anyway.
:love4:


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums