Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritualism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   🤓HISTORY OF SPIRITUALISM🤓 (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140866)

bobjob 24-04-2022 02:39 PM

It seems to me that the conversation has anyway wandered off from the topic title.

BigJohn 24-04-2022 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazada guess
Pardon me for interrupting BigJohn ,but I would like to know what you mean by 'lot of the tricks'.

One of the problems that has always been a part of Spiritualism is what you are 'seeing' real or is it being faked. If it is being faked, how is it done. That is what I was referring to in regards to a 'lot of the tricks'.

BigJohn 24-04-2022 03:21 PM

Wikipedia has an interesting description of Emanuel Swedenborg. It reads:

"Emanuel Swedenborg was a Swedish pluralistic-Christian theologian, scientist, philosopher and mystic. He became best known for his book on the afterlife, Heaven and Hell. Swedenborg had a prolific career as an inventor and scientist."

A Pluralistic-Christian Theologian is one that sees other religions as part of the 'greater pie' that in affect, believes all religions resonate as part of the whole.

As a Scientist, he identified as one with a 'special marker'. He was able to bring forth new inventions which seems came thru Angels and Spirit. If that is true, it might indicate a higher 'level Spirit' and Angels used him in a special way.

As a Mystic, he was able to go to Heaven and Hell which he wrote extensively about.

BigJohn 24-04-2022 03:51 PM

Emanuel Swedenborg claimed in his book "True Christian Religion" that he was a "Servant of the Lord Jesus Christ". At the age of 53, he had a major change in his life during the Easter holidays in the year 1744 which happened just over 278 years ago.

hazada guess 24-04-2022 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
One of the problems that has always been a part of Spiritualism is what you are 'seeing' real or is it being faked. If it is being faked, how is it done. That is what I was referring to in regards to a 'lot of the tricks'.

oh I see. I can assure you that the readings I've had(apart from 1),are legit. You can tell unless you are trying desperately to kid yourself
and to hear what you want to hear.
Anyway, let's get back to the threads subject.(Sorry).

bobjob 25-04-2022 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Waters
However, there are also Biblical scholars that question the timing of such "prophecies". They suggest that the "prophecies" may have been written after-the-fact.
https://www.christiancourier.com/art...lical-prophecy

Is such material really relevant to the thread title? :confused:

BigJohn 25-04-2022 12:03 PM

Emanuel Swedenborg believed that when a person died, the person would transition to the afterlife minus their physical body which is left behind. The deceased person doesn't linger around. He claimed what we perceive as Spirits are Angels and Evil Spirits.

As a 'Medium', Swedenborg didn't get his messages from 'Spirits' but actually went to Heaven and Hell and got to see first hand what those places where all about.

The more I study Swedenborg and other beliefs, the more it seems we are living in a 'reality' we might have created. There is also the possibility we have gotten virtually everything 'wrong' and in some cases, have given up the 'search'.

Still_Waters 25-04-2022 01:33 PM

QUOTE 69 EXCERPT:

Quote:

If you look at some of my posts in Judaism and Christianity, I try to explain in several places that if one examines, for example, the writing styles in Hebrew of the creation accounts, it seems odvious to me they were written by different persons or groups.

I have read the posts that you are citing now, and I agree with you that it seems obvious that the creation accounts were written by different persons or groups.

However, I'm trying to connect what you are writing now to your statement about Samuel's spirit communications being so noteworthy.:confused:

Still_Waters 25-04-2022 01:57 PM

QUOTE 77 EXCERPT:

Quote:

As a 'Medium', Swedenborg didn't get his messages from 'Spirits' but actually went to Heaven and Hell and got to see first hand what those places where all about.

The more I study Swedenborg and other beliefs, the more it seems we are living in a 'reality' we might have created. There is also the possibility we have gotten virtually everything 'wrong' and in some cases, have given up the 'search'.

The Yoga Vashistha story (Lila and the king) which my teacher translated many years ago says exactly the same thing that Swedenborg said ... one is living in a "reality" that one creates for one's self. :D

As far as Swedenborg actually going to Heaven and Hell first hand, Charles Leadbeater (Theosophical Society) claims to have personally witnessed the many heavens and hells that the multitudes create. Which heaven and hell did Swedenborg visit? :biggrin:

Still_Waters 25-04-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob
Is such material really relevant to the thread title? :confused:

BigJohn had indicated that the Spirits gave significant "prophecies" so this seems very relevant to the nature of Spirit communication.

How reliable is communication with the Spirits? That is the point.