Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritualism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   🤓HISTORY OF SPIRITUALISM🤓 (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140866)

bobjob 06-05-2022 07:20 AM

This thread has attracted only a tiny handful of contributors and now has stopped making progress so I'm leaving my small contribution to the conversation as it stands.

Anyone interested in learning about the history of Modern Spiritualism has plenty of information as a start point for their own research. By following earlier posted links (s)he will find a huge amount of information already extensively researched and fully catalogued by the highly-experienced lecturer, historian and archivist of the UK's Spiritualists' National Union.

My guess is, however, that most seekers and Spiritualists alike will be much more interested in what Spiritualism offers in this 21st century.

blessings :hug3:

sky 06-05-2022 09:22 AM

@ bobjob....
What you have contributed has been very interesting and valuable to me who knows very little about the beginning of Spiritualism, thanks.

bobjob 06-05-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky
@ bobjob....
What you have contributed has been very interesting and valuable to me who knows very little about the beginning of Spiritualism, thanks.

I'm pleased you found it helpful. :smile:

I too know only a little about the early days because although I've read a fair few pieces over my 38 years of being a Spiritualist much of the detail hasn't stayed with me. I have no need for it but I know where to locate information if I ever do. Paul Gaunt is my turn-to souce for all Spiritualist history. :smile:

bobjob 06-05-2022 10:44 AM

"To really grasp the history of the Fox Sisters and Mother (note: I also include the Mother), visiting the physical area, generally helps in getting an understanding of the area and what 'happened'." I very much doubt such a visit would significantly help one grasp distant historical events but I'm sure the trip would be enjoyable in its own right. Upstate New York is a very beautiful area albeit with far too many view-blocking trees for this open-desert preferring south-westerner. :wink:

bobjob 06-05-2022 10:54 AM

"I looked at his research. It is nice that such information can be presented without being questioned." I'm sure Paul Gaunt would value knowledgeable researchers questioning the information he has presented. They could point out the weaknesses in his own research and cataloguing so he can correct his errors.

He's really easy to contact and I have regular email contact with him.

"From what I have 'seen', most Spiritualists seem to be clueless at how they came about." clueless? hmmm...... :wink: I expect most adult Spiritualists know exactly "how they came about" - the birds and the bees and all that good stuff? lol :tongue:

bobjob 06-05-2022 11:08 AM

"If you should witness a 'crime', you might be surprised as to what some of the witnesses 'saw'. Because of that, it is hard to ascertain what details are either fact or not fact and they generally can not be checked."That's what 'fact-checking' is about and independent corroboration of details is looked for as one way of doing it. When it's impossible to verify details they're much less likely to be considered 'facts'. That's why I mentioned fact-checking.

Similarly when considering (quote) ".... other things were going on that influenced the movement, the influence of their geographical location and how Modern Day Spiritualism spread so fast." How one assesses various influences may be highly subjective and down more to belief/prejudice/ideas than the consideration of established details.

bobjob 06-05-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
In 1829, the Corinthian Hall was torn down and became a parking lot next to a Holiday Inn. I stayed at that Hotel once. When I took a shower, the water tasted terrible..........

:confused: what?

bobjob 06-05-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

From what I have 'seen', most Spiritualists seem to be clueless....They generally can not see how Emanuel Swedenborg, Franz Anton Mesmer and Andrew Jackson Davis fit in the history of Spiritualism.
Yes we Spiritualists are a pitiable bunch..... :icon_eek: Up to a few days ago I would have been numbered among the mass of ignoramuses but no more.

I can continue my work as a dedicated Spiritualist just as I've been doing for the past 38 years but now likely to be a far more effective servant of The Great Spirit. lol

blessings :hug3:

Still_Waters 07-05-2022 02:24 PM

QUOTE 188 EXCERPT

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob

... be a far more effective servant of The Great Spirit.

An awesome concluding post for this thread. :thumbsup:

bobjob 07-05-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 188 EXCERPT An awesome concluding post for this thread. :thumbsup:

There was a "lol" at the end of the sentence that you missed quoting - that "lol" was important. :wink: