Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritualism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   🤓HISTORY OF SPIRITUALISM🤓 (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140866)

bobjob 05-05-2022 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazada guess
Right,lets agree to disagree.There's the thoughts on Spiritualism according to Wikipedia.

What is there to disagree about?

Details are either fact or not fact and they can be checked. Beliefs/ideas/thoughts about what should be considered part of the history of Spiritualism (thread title) are likely to vary.

bobjob 05-05-2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busby
I spent many hours involving myself in this website - many years ago.

http://www.victorzammit.com/

It's a great site but I haven't looked at what it has to say about the history of Spiritualism. :smile: What were you involved in doing there?

bobjob 05-05-2022 02:48 PM

For balance, the NSAC has this to say on the 'History' page of its website. (https://nsac.org/who-we-are/history/)

"On March thirty-first, the Anniversary of Modern Spiritualism is observed. In the year of 1848, tiny raps manifesting through the mediumship of the Fox Sisters at Hydesville, New York, announced to the world an intelligence personified beyond the grave. An intelligence that was accepted as based on Natural Law and not miraculous or supernatural as heretofore had been accepted. This is the fact that distinguishes Modern from Ancient Spiritualism."

It goes on to say:"There have always been spirit manifestations, and we need but refer to races of the past; religious leaders and sensitives who were guided by the voices from beyond."

It then opens out with: "On the twenty-ninth of January is celebrated the Anniversary of Emanuel Swedenborg, a remarkable Seer of pioneer days, who was the first to conceive the Spirit World as a realm of law. The spiritual manifestations of Edward Irving from 1830 to 1833 and the Shakers from 1837 to 1844 paved the way for the Hydesville manifestations. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in The History of Spiritualism, in speaking of the Shakers and their spirit visitors, “When the spirits left they informed their hosts that they were going, but that presently they would return, and that when they did so they would pervade the world and enter the palace as well as the cottage.”

I found the piece very informative and hope others will too.

blessings :hug3:

bobjob 05-05-2022 02:49 PM

The NSAC ends its History page with: "For references on Modern Spiritualism, refer to:

Modern American Spiritualism, Emma Hardinge

History of Spiritualism, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Modern Spiritualism Course
Morris Pratt Institute
11811 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226"

Sound advice I'd say.

hazada guess 05-05-2022 02:55 PM

Well, we've got my reference and your's,so I should say that clears up the history of Spiritualism.:biggrin: .With that I'm afraid I have to go as I'm busy again.Take care,:hug3: .

bobjob 05-05-2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Well, we've got my reference and your's,so I should say that clears up the history of Spiritualism.:biggrin: .With that I'm afraid I have to go as I'm busy again.Take care,:hug3: .

I think the information trawled up is as satisfactory as we're likely to get. We have the SNU with facts from its well-respected historian/archivist along with some information from the NSAC.

That covers both sides of the big pond along with the land down-under (I think) because much there is in line with the approach of our SNU.

BigJohn 05-05-2022 04:31 PM

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualism

Right,lets agree to disagree.There's the thoughts on Spiritualism according to Wikipedia.:biggrin:

Thanks for bringing up that information. I found it very informative. I especially like the part how Anton Messmer played a 'role' in bringing forth Spiritualism.

BigJohn 05-05-2022 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob
lol :biggrin:

The latest research by Paul Gaunt, historian and SNU archivist, can be found here: https://www.snu.org.uk/the-pioneer-journal

Highly recommended for anyone interested in the history of the religion, philosophy and movement of Spiritualism.

I looked at his research.
It is nice that such information can be presented without being questioned.

From what I have 'seen', most Spiritualists seem to be clueless at how they came about. They generally can not see how Emanuel Swedenborg, Franz Anton Mesmer and Andrew Jackson Davis fit in the history of Spiritualism.

Generally when the History of the Fox Sisters is discussed, it generally lacks what other things were going on that influenced the movement, the influence of their geographical location and how Modern Day Spiritualism spread so fast.

BigJohn 06-05-2022 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob
What is there to disagree about?

Details are either fact or not fact and they can be checked. Beliefs/ideas/thoughts about what should be considered part of the history of Spiritualism (thread title) are likely to vary.

If you should witness a 'crime', you might be surprised as to what some of the witnesses 'saw'. Because of that, it is hard to ascertain what details are either fact or not fact and they generally can not be checked.

To really grasp the history of the Fox Sisters and Mother (note: I also include the Mother), visiting the physical area, generally helps in getting an understanding of the area and what 'happened'. Some of the things I was surprised to find is that where the home existed, is a 'museum' which consist of the foundation of the home. The home had been taken to Lily Dale, New York in 1915 which is a Spiritual Camp. The previous year, the home was dedicated. A trip by vehicle would be about 150 miles but the house took a longer route. The building was disassembled, and shipped across Lake Ontario to Buffalo where it was trucked to Lily Dale, New York where it was reassembled. The building caught on fire in 1955 and was destroyed. The building claiming to be the Fox Home at Lily Dale is a replica.

BigJohn 06-05-2022 05:30 AM

The Fox Sisters debuted their first public Rapping Mediumship at Corinthian Hall in Rochester, New York. It is interesting to note that the Corinthian Hall was open for business on June 28, 1849. The Fox Sisters event was November 14, 1849 to a crowd of about 400! To the surprise of many, the Hall, which was the concert hall, was on the third floor. The cost for admission was $.25 per person and if a man had two ladies, the price was only $.50. A person might ask, why 2 ladies, and the reason was that the price included a chaperone.

In 1929, the Corinthian Hall was torn down and became a parking lot next to a Holiday Inn. I stayed at that Hotel once. When I took a shower, the water tasted terrible. Later, I found out, that outside the water and sewage lines had been laid side by side and over time, had corroded. The water was being contaminated by sewage. That is how I got familiar with the Corinthian Hall.