Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritualism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   🤓HISTORY OF SPIRITUALISM🤓 (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140866)

BigJohn 01-05-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 107 EXCERPT:History Question:
For the Spiritualists who did NOT believe in reincarnation, what was their belief regarding birth and physical death?

The Spiritualists, who do not believe in reincarnation today, claim reincarnation has not been proved.

As for early, Modern Day Spiritualists such as the Fox Sisters and Mother, those people had not been exposed to reincarnation therefore did not know about that Eastern belief.

sky 02-05-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
As for early, Modern Day Spiritualists such as the Fox Sisters and Mother, those people had not been exposed to reincarnation therefore did not know about that Eastern belief.

Reincarnation was actually a belief in a number of early Christian communities dating back as far as the 2nd Century, it was also mentioned/found in a number of Gospels that didn't make it into the Canon.

bobjob 02-05-2022 11:01 AM

I'd be interested in hearing how many contributors to this thread are actually Spiritualists as opposed to folk just writing about Spiritualism. I know only of a couple and that includes me. :wink:

hazada guess 02-05-2022 12:53 PM

And me.:biggrin:

Still_Waters 02-05-2022 12:56 PM

QUOTE 116 EXCERPT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob
It's germane concerning reincarnation that when Siver Birch was asked he replied that even among his peers - spiritually evolved individuals - some did not accept the notion of reincarnation!

Ramana Maharshi has explicitly said that "the reincarnating ego is of the lower planes". :biggrin: (That is my understanding as well.)

On another occasion, when asked about reincarnation,Ramana simply replied that reincarnation was what they taught in the temples.

There are indeed some "spiritually evolved individuals" who do "no accept the notion of reincarnation" .... except on the lower planes.

That is precisely why I am curious about the history of reincarnation in Spiritism and Spiritualism.

BigJohn 02-05-2022 12:58 PM

Quote:

I'd be interested in hearing how many contributors to this thread are actually Spiritualists as opposed to folk just writing about Spiritualism. I know only of a couple and that includes me. :wink:

Are you once again advocating that only Spiritualist can post on this Forum?
That would 'surely' reduce the number of people who could post on this Forum.

By the way, what are your credentials?

Still_Waters 02-05-2022 12:58 PM

Quote:

To illuminate my ignorance of the thread topic, please, how does Swedenborg link to Spiritualism and its history? :confused:

My post on Swedenborg was based strictly on the information provided by BigJohn on Swedenborg's beliefs. I did not fact-check it as BigJohn's info is consistently reliable.

I can't answer your question on how Swedenborg links to Spiritualism and its history.

Still_Waters 02-05-2022 01:02 PM

Quote:

Swedenborg emerged from the Lutheran belief system so he explained "the myriads of births that take place every day" from a Christian perspective. Other wards, the questioned was a 'given' and it seems it never was dwelled upon. Even within the among Reincarnation beliefs, generally that question goes unanswered regarding plants and animals.

Thank you for your two responses to my questions. :thumbsup:

Still_Waters 02-05-2022 01:04 PM

Quote:

The Spiritualists, who do not believe in reincarnation today, claim reincarnation has not been proved.

Proof of reincarnation can indeed be challenging as there are alternate explanations for phenomenon presented as proofs of reincarnation.

hazada guess 02-05-2022 01:04 PM

Swedenborg first talked about Spiritualism in the 1700's but it was the fox sisters that bought it into the open in the 1800's.:smile: