Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritualism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   🤓HISTORY OF SPIRITUALISM🤓 (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=140866)

Still_Waters 30-04-2022 11:47 AM

QUOTE 108 EXCERPT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Then I started studying history and noticed various 'patterns' and began seeing how 'things' relate.

History has similarly helped me in "seeing how things relate" and how belief systems developed. It's helpful in relating to people holding those beliefs. It also can trigger interest in things that I want to investigate further for myself.

BigJohn 30-04-2022 12:08 PM

That is how it was for me.

The more I become familiar with the various religions/belief systems, the more I can almost predict how they can change. A 'new' paradigm would occur.

As an example, in Spiritualism, as fraud became prevalent, once exposed, laws were implemented to prosecute such behavior. It appears this might have been the main incentive that 'readings', etc., should be free.

BigJohn 30-04-2022 02:59 PM

Swedenborgians do not believe in Reincarnation. Reincarnation would be introduced later into Spiritualism but not all would accept it, not even today. They believe in the Bible but believe it has a different meaning then what most 'see' in the Bible. They see it nicely wrapped in symbols and that it expresses their main theme of the Bible which is: 'God is love'.

Still_Waters 01-05-2022 11:59 AM

QUOTE 107 EXCERPT:
Quote:

In this time period, some Spiritualist believe in Reincarnation whereas some do not. Because of this, there is at times a conflict among the Spiritualist over the issue of Reincarnation.

History Question:

For the Spiritualists who did NOT believe in reincarnation, what was their belief regarding birth and physical death?

Still_Waters 01-05-2022 12:03 PM

QUOTE 113 EXCERPT:

Quote:

Swedenborgians do not believe in Reincarnation. Reincarnation would be introduced later into Spiritualism but not all would accept it, not even today.

This question is virtually a repeat of my previous question. Since Swedenborg did not believe in Reincarnation, how did he explain the myriads of births that take place every day?

bobjob 01-05-2022 01:36 PM

It's germane concerning reincarnation that when Siver Birch was asked he replied that even among his peers - spiritually evolved individuals - some did not accept the notion of reincarnation! I wish I had his exact words to hand but he said something to the effect that one particular spirit individual declared he'd never encountered a spirit who had reincarnated!

It's an interesting story that should give us pause for thought when we consider this divisive notion that it seems a muddled one even for some spiritually progressed individuals. Tricky enough for them let alone for us dumbos in this physical world! lol :D

bobjob 01-05-2022 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Waters
This question is virtually a repeat of my previous question. Since Swedenborg did not believe in Reincarnation, how did he explain the myriads of births that take place every day?

To illuminate my ignorance of the thread topic, please, how does Swedenborg link to Spiritualism and its history? :confused:

BigJohn 01-05-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob
To illuminate my ignorance of the thread topic, please, how does Swedenborg link to Spiritualism and its history? :confused:

SIMPLE:
The various 'Histories of Spiritualism that I have looked at, all include Swedenborg as part of Spiritualism's history.

BigJohn 01-05-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjob
EXCERPT It's germane concerning reincarnation that when Siver Birch was asked he replied that even among his peers - spiritually evolved individuals - some did not accept the notion of reincarnation!

Early, Modern Day Spiritualists were not familiar with reincarnation. Those people, for the most part, were dissatisfied 'Christians' who were searching for something better. Some were just curious as was the apparent case with the Fox Sisters and Mother. Some of the things they were interested in were anti-slavery, women's rights and the right for all to vote.

BigJohn 01-05-2022 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 113 EXCERPT: This question is virtually a repeat of my previous question. Since Swedenborg did not believe in Reincarnation, how did he explain the myriads of births that take place every day?

Swedenborg emerged from the Lutheran belief system so he explained "the myriads of births that take place every day" from a Christian perspective. Other wards, the questioned was a 'given' and it seems it never was dwelled upon. Even within the among Reincarnation beliefs, generally that question goes unanswered regarding plants and animals.