Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Beliefs (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Lots of Praying In the World, and Things Seem Worse (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144492)

jaminhealth 31-07-2022 07:31 PM

Lots of Praying In the World, and Things Seem Worse

overall.

I have my form of mantras and my form of prayers and do this work every day but not feeling much healing etc....if any. But I continue.

If nothing else I feel like I'm doing Some Good with my words going out
there.

JustBe 01-08-2022 10:38 PM

I was taught by spirit guides that prayer is simply a mantra of hope because we are not ok with what is.

When we make peace from within the movements affect greater change.

It’s through our actions more directly we model peace, loving kindness, compassion, so it’s up to ourselves to become the prayer.

JustBe 03-08-2022 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambo
It does seem like God is ignoring us and not answering prayers like he has given up on this planet........ Its very scary!!

Really?

My god.

If there is a god and you believe he represents good things, why in earth would you think such things? I mean you can, but it’s totally conflicting, unless you think god has abandoned you? In which case it’s not about god but you.

So your talking to yourself about yourself and just how you feel I suspect.

Bambo 03-08-2022 03:08 AM

Its just what I see....... Like my mom suffering,bed ridden for over a year now.......

JustBe 03-08-2022 03:47 AM

Quote:

Its just what I see....... Like my mom suffering,bed ridden for over a year now.......

That’s sad.

Can anyone on this earth help her?

iamthat 03-08-2022 07:11 PM

Quote:

It does seem like God is ignoring us and not answering prayers like he has given up on this planet........ Its very scary!!

This is reducing God to the level of a capricious human being. Most peoples' prayers are for their own benefit, and when these prayers are not answered they decide that God is not listening.

My own belief is that there is a host of Beings all working on subtle levels for the development of humanity, but they are hindered by not being able to interfere with human free will. However, this does not rule out the possibility of direct intervention if conditions on Earth continue to deteriorate.

Quote:

Its just what I see....... Like my mom suffering,bed ridden for over a year now......

Which is very difficult both for your mom and yourself, but this is nothing to do with God ignoring your situation. We inhabit a very dense planet and that nature of this planet is limitation and suffering. The good news is that all this suffering is only temporary - it will pass. Peace is always available within us.

Peace

Bambo 03-08-2022 07:48 PM

Yes I would like to think that.....

utopiandreamchild 04-08-2022 01:49 AM

I use to pray but not anymore, I think God/Goddess only exist in the imagination because they don't have physical presences as we do.

I think the reason why prayers go unanswered is because there's no one there to answer them.

Please someone prove me wrong.

utopiandreamchild

iamthat 05-08-2022 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utopiandreamchild
I think the reason why prayers go unanswered is because there's no one there to answer them.

And yet there are numerous accounts of people being helped by complete strangers who just happen to be in the right place at the right time. The stranger then seems to mysteriously vanish, leaving the person wondering if it was some kind of angel.

A typical story found in a very quick random search online:

In 1998, Luke was diagnosed with bone cancer at the tender age of eight. As sometimes happens, he came down with an infection, which meant he had to go to the hospital. ... One evening, Luke's mother was sitting at his bedside quietly praying as he slept. A nurse came into the room to check Luke's temperature, but his mother noted something rather peculiar about her.

The nurse was wearing an old-fashioned uniform of the type that would have been common 30 years earlier, in the 1960s. The nurse noticed that Luke's mother had a Bible by the side of his bed. She said that she was a Christian, too, and said she would pray for Luke's healing.

Luke's family had never seen this odd nurse before, and they never saw her again in Luke's remaining time at the hospital.

"I came out of the hospital fully healed of my infection," says Luke ...

And another typical example:

Back in 1980, Deb was a single mother with two infants living in San Bernardino County, California. She occasionally needed reliable babysitters.

Fortunately, her parents lived only about 30 miles away in Alta Loma. Deb would usually drop off the children at her parents' house, go do what she needed to do, then pick them up in the evening.

One night, Deb had retrieved her babies from her parents' place and was heading home. It was relatively late, about 11:30 p.m. Deb was driving her "old clunker." Among the car's many deficiencies, the gas gauge was broken, requiring her to guess when the old thing needed fuel. Occasionally, her guessing was off.

"Halfway home, the car started to putter," Deb remembers, "and I realized I was on empty. I pulled off the first off ramp I could, and it just happened to be one that was slightly uphill. Almost at the top of the exit, my car died and there was absolutely nothing around except empty fields and distant lights at a truck stop about a quarter of a mile down the road.

With no cars in sight, Deb didn't know what to do. The kids were asleep and walking miles while carrying two kids in the middle of the night was not a good option. This was before cell phones, so she could not call for help.

"I put my head on the steering wheel while saying a short and panicky prayer," she says. "I hadn't even finished when I heard a few taps on my window."

When she looked up, she saw a clean-cut young man standing there, who Deb estimated to be about 21 years old. He motioned for her to roll down her window. "I remember I was surprised," Deb says, "but I wasn't even the slightest bit afraid, even though I normally would have been terrified."

The young man was dressed well and had a faint smell of soap. He didn't ask if she needed help. Instead, he told her to put the car in neutral and he would help her over that last, small hill toward a place where she could get gas.

"I thanked him and followed his instructions. The car started moving. I steered it toward the lights of the truck stop and turned around to yell 'thank you' again to him," Deb says.

"He was so nice! My car kept moving, but the young man was nowhere in sight. I mean, this area was completely remote. There was absolutely nowhere he could have gone that quickly, even if there was somewhere to go. I don't even know where he came from to begin with."

So perhaps prayers do get answered.

Peace

Native spirit 05-08-2022 08:00 PM

Yes i happen to Agree with you. prayers do get answered but they come in subtle ways.

Namaste

SpectralDreamer 06-08-2022 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaminhealth
I have my form of mantras and my form of prayers and do this work every day but not feeling much healing etc....if any. But I continue.

God helps those that help themselves.

Miss Hepburn 06-08-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralDreamer
God helps those that help themselves.

Hi, Tho, you mean well :)...this is one of those controversially trite sayings that means nothing because
you have to look at the source*.
It's like the phrase, 'Cleanliness is next to godliness'....someone just made it up; it does not mean it is true or accurate.
Neither are in the Bible, even ---in fact just the opposite is in the Bible!
God helps the helpless.

Plus anyone could say how insensitive this phrase is (not saying you are)---that a child, begging, hungry, living in
a slanted shanty is not being helped cuz he is not helping himself...see what I mean...

*"God helps those who help themselves" is probably the most often quoted phrase that is not found in the Bible.
It originated from Algernon Sydney in 1698 in an article titled Discourses Concerning Government.

JustBe 07-08-2022 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Plus anyone could say how insensitive this phrase is (not saying you are)---that a child, begging, hungry, living in
a slanted shanty is not being helped cuz he is not helping himself...see what I mean...

*"God helps those who help themselves" is probably the most often quoted .

Perhaps he uses that term to mean, those that can help themselves and don’t. That seems more apparent. Children cannot be really be categorised with his response because children are simply products of their environment. A product of where they land, what they know or not. They are just what the world reflects to them as being. But they too, through the totally of life can receive differently and learn about life differently and how they can be supported. The other thing with children are better models of acceptance even in adversity, than many adults. Sadly they are often not looked at to learn through, but conditioned by their environments.

You have to look at a greater interconnected relationship of life, change and evolution to see that there is opportunity for change within the whole interplay of life together.

If you had not meditated, studied and grown through those practices, you would not have reached a place of seeing the universe through different eyes. It’s through conscious shifts you come to understand how life can be. Lettjng go and understanding deeper truths. Same for myself, consciously self healing for half my lifetime brought me to understand how my attitude, my emotions, my energy reflects outwardly as a signal of sorts, because of who we have grown to know and see the world as.

Prayer lends us a place to bring hope to what we want and desire. Life itself has its own plans, inclusive of all things and change. We as humans play out part but their is much more at play to the totality..

Prayer isn’t bad, it’s a way to build trust, hope and acceptance with what is. It can move us, move us into action differently.

That’s a good thing.

We play our part, role and our lived experience where we are, with what we have.

But ultimately we do have to be the change we wish to see. And live it consciously as a model as that change. Not as a singular system but a host together.

The greatest prayer you can give is for you to become trust, hope and charity towards life where one is.

Anyway I’m just flowing with thoughts through your sharing and inspired through my understandings and realisations.

lemex 07-08-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustBe
Perhaps he uses that term to mean, those that can help themselves and don’t.

Powerful. People can change anything. Child is a symbol and also represent taking care of. Do we live up to what we should do. I think the term can also mean spirit (God) is missing and that which we point at is a human creation (social), not spirit. Are we pointing to human or spirit (God). A number of times I've noticed it said (but) God allows such things but humans allow such things to. Spirit and human work hand in hand. Spirit teaches us about ourselves then to see ourselves. Include spirit see if there is a change. : )

Sir Neil 10-08-2022 12:55 PM

You’re only really responsible for yourself, your own reality and your own thoughts. You could be saying prayers for the world, but if millions of people are paying attention to cost of living, rising fuel prices, strikes, wars and so on, then their greater number of minds and thoughts will create the reality.

‘Stuff’ may be going on in the world, but it doesn’t have to affect you. A recession isn’t like a lockdown as it’s not a blanket set of realities. Lots of people will struggle during a recession, but if you believe that it will be plain sailing for you, then that is what your experience will be. The same with strikes, living costs inflation and so on. They will only affect you if you believe so.

You may attract more money, you may get a better-paying job, you may get a job where you don’t have to commute as much. Your job may be safe whereas others aren’t. I know it sounds selfish, but you can really be responsible for anyone else’s thoughts, just your own.

So if the world seems to be getting worse, remember that it is down to mass consciousness producing reality. But if you have good consciousness, and produce good reality, then others will see you as a positive example. Then you can explain to them how you did it, and they can go and change their consciousness.

And switch off the news, delete the news apps, cancel the papers, and turn off all the Doctor Feelbads on talk radio. They all have a vested interest in pedalling fear to keep circulation, clicks or audience figures high. Keep on listening to or reading them, and the constant stream of negativity will just sleep into your consciousness and create your reality unconsciously. I don’t pay much attention to news, and am all the more peaceful for it.

Sir Neil 10-08-2022 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustBe
I was taught by spirit guides that prayer is simply a mantra of hope because we are not ok with what is.

When we make peace from within the movements affect greater change.

It’s through our actions more directly we model peace, loving kindness, compassion, so it’s up to ourselves to become the prayer.

Very interesting way of perceiving things. When we accept how things are, we don’t offer up any resistance to them. They cease being problematic, and we cease to attract more of the bad. We then offer up a more peaceful vibration, which is magnetic to different, peaceful circumstances.

Miss Hepburn 10-08-2022 01:03 PM

"...and Things Seem Worse"

I had a thought: Things ''seem'' worse...but are they?

Molearner 10-08-2022 01:29 PM

Yes….to the extent that we are creating a modern day Tower of Babel…….

Miss Hepburn 10-08-2022 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molearner
Yes….to the extent that we are creating a modern day Tower of Babel…….

Glass half empty.
I think if we looked at the population differences from now, to say, back to 500 BC...random choice. 2000 BC, I dunno.
The ratio of happy people, spiritually advanced people, maybe healthy people, compared to barbaric, cruel,
miserable, ignorant people...it would be quite interesting.
I wonder of anyone has done a study on this...I say the scale tips to the advanced, content, healthy people now.

I could be wrong, of course. Glass half full, to me.

iamthat 10-08-2022 07:43 PM

Quote:

The ratio of happy people, spiritually advanced people, maybe healthy people, compared to barbaric, cruel, miserable, ignorant people...it would be quite interesting. I wonder of anyone has done a study on this...I say the scale tips to the advanced, content, healthy people now.

Yes, this would be interesting, but I don't know how such things could be measured.

I do wonder if things have actually improved, or is it that the problems faced by people of old have been replaced by a completely different set of problems. Which may reflect the fact that humanity continues to evolve.

Taking health as an example, the health issues of 1,000 years ago may now be a distant memory but instead humanity is dealing with a whole new set of health issues. For example, the health problems created by increased obesity and old age, not to mention all the new diseases which have sprung up. Which are treated by a staggering number of prescription drugs which then cause further problems.

It is difficult to compare modern global society with a world where most people never travelled further than 10 miles from their place of birth. But it would be interesting.

Peace

Molearner 11-08-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Glass half empty.
, spiritually advanced people,

I could be wrong, of course. Glass half full, to me.

Spiritually advanced people ? Who and where ? One has to wonder why we quote the ancients…..Rumi, Hafiz, Meister Eckhardt, and countless others. The agrarian societies experienced a more natural connection to God. When we think of modern society we like to think of Manhattan and ignore the proliferation of the universal ghettos. Ask the indigenous people if they are more spiritually advanced than their ancestors. I see a world that is increasingly materialistic rather than spiritual. Maybe I should borrow some rose colored glasses ?…….😁

Molearner 11-08-2022 04:13 PM

Quote:

..I say the scale tips to the advanced, content, healthy people now.

me.

Now for my money you have precisely described the very people who do not need God…..nor desire Him……..

Molearner 11-08-2022 06:24 PM

As an exercise in truth I googled the 15 richest countries in the world and the 15 most religious countries…..there was a direct reverse correlation……basically the richer a country is the less religious it will be…..

iamthat 11-08-2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Spiritually advanced people ? Who and where ? ... I see a world that is increasingly materialistic rather than spiritual.

I see a world that is increasingly both. Even within my lifetime I have seen a huge upsurge in spiritual interests, whatever form such interests may take.

Maybe humanity is now at a crossroads - it will be interesting to see which path is chosen.

Peace

Wagner 11-08-2022 06:46 PM

Quote:

Spiritually advanced people?

That might be an oxymoron. Yes?

Quote:

Who and where?
My buddy and I have a saying: "follow the trail of Money Earning." :P

Quote:

One has to wonder why we quote the ancients…..Rumi, Hafiz, Meister Eckhardt, and countless others.

Simple. Lack of originality in expression. Best case scenario, there. Worst case? Parroting.

Quote:

The agrarian societies experienced a more natural connection to God.
Closeness to the ground precludes flights of fancy! ;)

Quote:

When we think of modern society we like to think of Manhattan and ignore the proliferation of the universal ghettos.
"modern society?" Another oxymoron? I'm too cynical for this...

Quote:

Ask the indigenous people if they are more spiritually advanced than their ancestors. I see a world that is increasingly materialistic rather than spiritual. Maybe I should borrow some rose colored glasses ?…….��
I think that you need an attitude adjustment. Spirituality is an avenue which can lead to benevolent behavior amidst a callous cacophony of otherwise narcissistic compromise in this pitiless, contemporary world.

Molearner 11-08-2022 07:35 PM

[quote=Wagner

I think that you need an attitude adjustment. Spirituality is an avenue which can lead to benevolent behavior amidst a callous cacophony of otherwise narcissistic compromise in this pitiless, contemporary world.[/QUOTE]

My attitude is to seek truths that can be verified. To that purpose the search could be refined. Let others provide verifiable evidence that the well off are demonstrably more spiritual. I might note that this very forum is minuscule in relation to any social grouping. It is to easy to start thinking that everyone is spiritual if one’s contact to the spiritual world is this forum……

Wagner 11-08-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

My attitude is to seek truths that can be verified. To that purpose the search could be refined. Let others provide verifiable evidence that the well off are demonstrably more spiritual. I might note that this very forum is minuscule in relation to any social grouping. It is to easy to start thinking that everyone is spiritual if one’s contact to the spiritual world is this forum……

Good for this forum. But your comment doesn't address what I was actually saying...

Peace.

[Edit]
PS
"Truths that can be verified?" I'm a firm proponent of Dharana, though it takes tremendous time and effort. It WILL give you what you seek if you follow it through. :) I guess I can appreciate your chiding in light of this. However, it also means I'll not be complacent to it! :P

Molearner 11-08-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagner
That might . Spirituality is an avenue which can lead to benevolent behavior amidst a callous cacophony of otherwise narcissistic compromise in this pitiless, contemporary world.

Wagner,

No idea of what you want me to respond to….So I comment on this. I have much firsthand experience that poverty leads to benevolence….the poor are very good at sharing……

Wagner 11-08-2022 08:29 PM

Quote:

Wagner,

No idea of what you want me to respond to….So I comment on this. I have much firsthand experience that poverty leads to benevolence….the poor are very good at sharing……

Eating food from trash cans? Yeah, I've been there. Sharing, as a commodity, is particularly profound when it isn't projected from the materialistically moneyed? Meh. However, poverty is not a guaranteed precursor to altruistic giving. I CAN attest to that as well! :) I'm saying that spirituality, whether it is founded in kindness or founded in foolish optimism, CAN (that is, there is a "chance of") do some good things. Again, I'm not hopeful. But maybe it might... ;)

ThatMan 12-08-2022 07:17 PM

Quote:

overall.
there.

I found out that when you let go of whatever weight you carry and just let go, give in to life, stop resisting and just breath, amazing, amazing things happen, you just have to see for yourself.

Do this while meditating, in the midst of your meditation, suddenly let go, let go, let go, accept whatever is, do not resist, let go, breath, let go, let yourself space out, let the weight fade away, let go. Let go of everything, worries, plans, people, situations, memories, problems, happiness, sadness, let go of everything, let go even of yourself, how you do this? Space out, embrace the space, the emptiness, the nothingness, give in, give in. Soon you will arrive at your natural state.

Mantras have this mystical thing about them, they open you up to more, they wide your awareness. Just the simple repeating of words that mean something to you has the power to put you in a light trance to receive answers to whatever you seek. If you ever get an audible answer, a meaningful message, something motivational, use that as a mantra, it has even more power.

SpectralDreamer 13-08-2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagner
Spirituality is an avenue which can lead to benevolent behavior amidst a callous cacophony of otherwise narcissistic compromise in this pitiless, contemporary world.

People are just people, regardless of the context they're in. "God made man, man made religion" and "Every religion was right for that people at that time."

Whatever happens 'out there' also happens 'in here' because everything has one thing in common. The greatest of deeds are not going to be done by those that believe they are Spiritual, they are going to be done by those that are human.

SpectralDreamer 13-08-2022 08:25 AM

Quote:

If nothing else I feel like I'm doing Some Good with my words going out there.

Talk to that older person and give her a hand, she's cynical of this world too and the next time she interacts with someone will be the next time she goes shopping. Find even small acts of kindness and don't expect any rewards but do then because that's the person you are.

Dare to be different.

Moonglow 13-08-2022 01:12 PM

Hello,

It seems that saying such things as “ be the change you want to happen”
“God helps those who help themselves”, suggest that it takes more then prayer to make things happen.

If no action and/or effort is taken then one can pray all he/she wants, but change, comfort, or whatever is being sought will not happen, IMO.

Yes, there are times in which prayers seem to go unanswered. What is the intent behind the prayer? What is truly being sought after? Is there doubt? These can affect where focus is placed?

Big requests like world peace, end to suffering, end to illness, takes more then prayer. Takes change and agreements. Takes efforts to change how “we” as a society lives. Takes looking at ourselves and what causes such “ill” effects.

Can be given all the signs, guidance, encouragements, and opportunities. If one just ignores them or takes no effort to create change, then will remain where one is at, IMO.

Not always easy. Sometimes what may be desired or wanted may not be what another desires or want. At times it is just the time for the other to move on. Sometimes, patterns will repeat until efforts are made to change them.
Sometimes, it has to do with more then what I want or felt is needed.

Life is interwoven with in and with out. Prayer can bring focus, comfort, and hope. What is done with these seems up to each and every person, IMO. Also, how willing and able one is to follow through, adjust, and listen.

My thoughts on this.

Wagner 13-08-2022 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralDreamer
People are just people, regardless of the context they're in.

Your point?

Quote:

Whatever happens 'out there' also happens 'in here' because everything has one thing in common.
Awareness is the most fundamental building block of existence. :P

Quote:

The greatest of deeds are not going to be done by those that believe they are Spiritual, they are going to be done by those that are human.
That's why I used the word "can" instead of "will," to express ambivalent reticence from making a definite proclamation on the matter of correlation of such (e.g. "greatest of deeds") to spirituality. Way ahead of you! ;)

asearcher 14-08-2022 01:53 PM

i think evil, negative side is more forceful at stage 1 or so but in the end good will win.

utopiandreamchild 14-08-2022 10:11 PM

I don't think there's any one home to answer our prayers, God in my opinion is imaginary, why?, because he doesn't have a physical presences.
utopiandreamchild

Bambo 15-08-2022 05:32 AM

Well the way my mum suffered makes me wonder...

Wasnt until I spoke to her Guardian Angel that she was let go from this suffering......

I really wonder if God has turned his back on us??? (Tired of all the evil here,etc)

Sir Neil 27-08-2022 04:10 PM

Quote:

I had a thought: Things ''seem'' worse...but are they?

That’s just it. The media exaggerate everything to make it look like things are getting worse and compounding all the time: but really, everything that’s going on in the world are things which we have all experienced before.

HITESH SHAH 27-08-2022 05:19 PM

prayers

Quote:

overall.
there.

You are doing perfectly right .Prayers may not give answers to us all the time. But when we continue with it with all our faith and hope ,it gradually takes layers of ignorance, self-doubt ,fatigue, pains and one day finally it's answered .

While prayer as a good word and intention is absolutely great and wonderful thing to do , if we supplement it with small acts of charity/generosity / faith /selfless love without doing any contradictory action without any ulterior motive in our day to day life, its an icing on the cake and chances are that prayers is responded with very high priority and favorable actions .

I am in agreement that things happening in the world may be looking bad but it may simply be a perception than a reality .

Geeta 28-08-2022 03:44 PM

Lots of Praying In the World, and Things Seem Worse

There are way too many angles / reasons / cause n effect issues relating to these seemingly worse things. Those who want to pray, pray anyway.