Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   God (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=137097)

janielee 10-09-2020 05:45 PM

God

Courtesy ketzer:

“There are always those who take it upon themselves to defend God, as if Ultimate Reality, as if the sustaining frame of existence, were something weak and helpless. These people walk by a widow deformed by leprosy begging for a few paise, walk by children dressed in rags living in the street, and they think, "Business as usual." But if they perceive a slight against God, it is a different story. Their faces go red, their chests heave mightily, they sputter angry words. The degree of their indignation is astonishing. Their resolve is frightening.

These people fail to realize that it is on the inside that God must be defended, not on the outside. They should direct their anger at themselves. For evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart. Meanwhile, the lot of widows and homeless children is very hard, and it is to their defense, not God's, that the self-righteous should rush.”

― Yann Martel, Life of Pi

sky 10-09-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janielee
Courtesy ketzer:

“There are always those who take it upon themselves to defend God, as if Ultimate Reality, as if the sustaining frame of existence, were something weak and helpless. These people walk by a widow deformed by leprosy begging for a few paise, walk by children dressed in rags living in the street, and they think, "Business as usual." But if they perceive a slight against God, it is a different story. Their faces go red, their chests heave mightily, they sputter angry words. The degree of their indignation is astonishing. Their resolve is frightening.

These people fail to realize that it is on the inside that God must be defended, not on the outside. They should direct their anger at themselves. For evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart. Meanwhile, the lot of widows and homeless children is very hard, and it is to their defense, not God's, that the self-righteous should rush.”

Now that's wisdom, thanks to you both.....

BigJohn 10-09-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janielee
Courtesy ketzer:

Just curious, do you really believe all Christians are like this?

Nowayout 11-09-2020 10:13 PM

Christians do a lot for the poor and the needy, it's a Christian way. They go out of there way to work with the poor and the marginalized, er some do. Most Christians know God as compassion and love.

Some will kill for their views, just like all the other Religious folk.

Hindu, Muslim, Christian, and Jew, who has not been on that war PATH.

God is Love my Bishop would preach.

I'm good with that.

Fanatics divide love into sides.... when

Love is all we need.

janielee 12-09-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowayout

God is Love my Bishop would preach.

I'm good with that.

Fanatics divide love into sides.... when

Love is all we need.

Yes, that sounds much better.

JL

Morpheus 13-09-2020 02:23 PM

Curious, where do you see most of the aid for the despondent coming from in the world?

BigJohn 13-09-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus
Curious, where do you see most of the aid for the despondent coming from in the world?

No one seems to want to answer that question.

A lot of the aid comes from countries claiming to be Christian.

As far as I know, there does not appear to be any aid from Gnostics.
Maybe some Gnostics can provide some data on their help.

davidmartin 13-09-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJohn
No one seems to want to answer that question.

A lot of the aid comes from countries claiming to be Christian.

As far as I know, there does not appear to be any aid from Gnostics.
Maybe some Gnostics can provide some data on their help.

probably because they don't have any organised churches, sure there's a handful but they're tiny and mostly just a couple of guys
the real tell is they can't even seem to construct a forum on-line so organised giving could be years away, there's very few traditional gnostics about as far as i can tell and they don't do much

sky 13-09-2020 05:57 PM

' But when you do your giving to the needy do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing etc:

Mathew 6.3

BigJohn 13-09-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus

I think you got your answer.

The amount of aid Christians give is for the most part not given credited to Christians but people know where the aid came from.