Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Vegetarian & Vegan (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Love Being Vegan (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=75583)

seanssf 03-10-2014 06:42 PM

Love Being Vegan

Hi :smile:

Just thought i'd mention how great it has been so far having transformed my diet from meat and garbage mostly, to now being vegan.

This is the first time i have loved eating what i eat, the taste buds are back :D The selection of foods and recipes are amazing. I'm almost trying to edge myself forward to going fully raw just to feel the added health benefits as well.

I have so much energy now. I never thought i could give up meat but now i don't know how i used to eat it. All the poor animals that are suffering makes me very sad, they should be left alone to be free. I'm so glad i now have no part in that but really wish it would end and that everyone would experience the benefits of being vegan :D

Love & Peace :happy3:

knightofalbion 03-10-2014 07:04 PM

Good for you!

mogenblue 11-10-2014 12:45 PM

Whisky is vegan too, you know... :D

Heaven 12-10-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogenblue
Whisky is vegan too, you know... :D

lol, you had to mention that mogenblue! lol :tongue:

Heaven 12-10-2014 05:55 PM

That's great seanssf!! :thumbsup:

mogenblue 12-10-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaven
lol, you had to mention that mogenblue! lol :tongue:

Well, seanssf is from Scotland and whisky is scottish too. What else could I do?

:D

kralaro 12-10-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanssf
Hi :smile:

Just thought i'd mention how great it has been so far having transformed my diet from meat and garbage mostly, to now being vegan.

This is the first time i have loved eating what i eat, the taste buds are back :D The selection of foods and recipes are amazing. I'm almost trying to edge myself forward to going fully raw just to feel the added health benefits as well.

I have so much energy now. I never thought i could give up meat but now i don't know how i used to eat it. All the poor animals that are suffering makes me very sad, they should be left alone to be free. I'm so glad i now have no part in that but really wish it would end and that everyone would experience the benefits of being vegan :D

Love & Peace :happy3:

Thanks for sharing :)

Pagandell 12-10-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanssf
Hi :smile:Just thought i'd mention how great it has been so far having transformed my diet from meat and garbage mostly, to now being vegan.This is the first time i have loved eating what i eat, the taste buds are back :D The selection of foods and recipes are amazing. I'm almost trying to edge myself forward to going fully raw just to feel the added health benefits as well.I have so much energy now. I never thought i could give up meat but now i don't know how i used to eat it. All the poor animals that are suffering makes me very sad, they should be left alone to be free. I'm so glad i now have no part in that but really wish it would end and that everyone would experience the benefits of being vegan :D Love & Peace :happy3:

Yeah ........... I just cant get my head round the suffering, how come we let it carry on, its beyond me.

Time for change I say. :dontknow:

Tobi 14-10-2014 12:22 AM

I happen to think vegan food is just so scrumptious anyway. I am not a totally raw food person, even though I do like quite a lot of raw food, I do like cooked as well. Make me happy, give me Nut burgers....brown rice....gravy....steamed broccoli...lentil stew with hunks of toasted garlic Ciabatta....Or curry made from winter squash, onions, potatoes, with roast Pumpkin seeds on top
All comforting Autumn-Winter dishes, and something to look forward to next to the log fire in the evening....

Squatchit 14-10-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi
Or curry made from winter squash, onions, potatoes, with roast Pumpkin seeds on top

That sounds just like what we are planning for tomorrow. Except it's a carrot & pumpkin curry. Never made it before, but it sounds yummy. :smile:

Tobi 15-10-2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatchit
That sounds just like what we are planning for tomorrow. Except it's a carrot & pumpkin curry. Never made it before, but it sounds yummy. :smile:

Carrot and pumpkin curry sounds delish!
Sesame seeds would go nicely with that. Or if you like a big crunch, toasted pistachios.
1/4 cup Pistachios contain about 6 grams protein.

Squatchit 15-10-2014 08:23 AM

Toasted pistachios sounds scrummy. Might have to nip to the shop later! :D

We're planning on using the pumpkin seeds toasted on top. If it's a success, I'll share the recipe here, if you like?

Faith33 15-10-2014 09:59 AM

You ladies have inspired me with these combinations and am planning on sticking to my own thing, whether my men join me or not...I have to cook separately for them anyway...

I would love your recipes to the vegetable curry...if possible.

LPC 15-10-2014 03:22 PM

We grow most of our own food, and my dear wife is the expert. I do the manual tasks like rotovating, manure and compost spreading (!), strimming, etc....

But when it comes to cooking, we share that. Pumpkin curry is one of my favourites, too. I cook it with sultanas and apples, plus a little fresh chilli, to add to the taste.

Tobi 15-10-2014 08:41 PM

Yes please DO share your recipe Squatchit.
I was thinking about the carrot & pumpkin curry today, and bought some carrots to get ready!

Your recipe sounds lovely too LPC. I'll try that. I have a lot of apples at the moment.
It's good that you have a Rotivator. Digging is such hard work.

Squatchit 16-10-2014 07:33 AM

It was quite the disaster! :confused1:

I had reservations about the length of time the carrot would be cooking :icon_scratch:, but we decided to stick to the recipe. :book1:

It smelled absolutely divine when we started. That was just the ginger, garlic & lemon grass. (We used ginger instead of galangal, as we couldn't find galangal).

The upshot was the carrots were hard as rocks and it was way too hot (spicy-wise). I had one mouthful and that was enough! :help:

I think it can be seriously tweaked to be a lovely dish. If anyone has a go at it (and gets it right), let me know! :D

Carrot Pumpkin Curry - serves 4

Ingredients

150ml vegetable stock
1 inch piece galangal, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lemon grass stalk (white part only), finely chopped
2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and chopped
4 carrots, cut into chunks
225g pumpkin, deseeded and cut into cubes
2 tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
3 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste
400 ml coconut milk
4-6 sprigs of fresh Thai basil
25g toasted pumpkin seeds, to garnish

Method

1. Pour the stock into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the galangal, half the garlic, lemon grass and chillies and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and pumpkin and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until tender.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and stir-fry the shallots and the remaining garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add the curry paste and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.

3. Stir the shallot mixture into the saucepan and add the coconut milk and Thai basil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with the toasted pumpkin seeds.

Squatchit 16-10-2014 08:59 AM

We are actually going to give it another go tonight as we've got most of the ingredients in. I think toning down the chilli and letting it cook for longer might work.

We've always got the chippy down the road if it goes wrong again...:tongue:

knightofalbion 16-10-2014 12:50 PM

Two chillies? One is enough I would have thought. If that. Not to everyone's taste.

You could pre-cook the carrots to get them to the desired tenderness.
Or even use tinned. That would work with that limited time frame.

Faith33 16-10-2014 04:52 PM

This is a beautiful dish...I'd probably omit the chili all together, though.
Since having tons of carrots in the fridge and a pumpkin bigger than me, tomorrow, I'll be trying out this recipe.

Because curry paste is impossible to find around here, would curry powder be a suitable substitute?

Squatchit 17-10-2014 07:59 AM

I reckon curry powder would be just as good. We made it again last night and only used half a chilli pepper and 3 teaspoons of curry paste. And we par-boiled the carrots. It was delicious! :D

Let me know how it turns out for you Hope! :smile:

Faith33 17-10-2014 03:14 PM

I didn't get around to making it yet...had been battling with my huge pumpkin, peeling, seeding and steaming it.
From that I made a beautiful pumpkin pie, not as a dessert, but as a main dish. The crust is savory and the filling is sweet...no added sugar here since the pumpkin was very sweet on its own.

Thinking about making it later tonight for tomorrow, though...I'll add the curry powder instead....(need to tweak it a bit more, since I can't find coconut milk either....*sigh*)

Squatchit 18-10-2014 07:04 AM

Pumpkins aren't the easiest vegetable, are they? :tongue:

No coconut milk? Hmmmm, that makes it tricky. I can't think of an alternative. Hope you come up with something! :smile:

LPC 18-10-2014 07:50 PM

BTW the seeds are very nutritious eaten as a snack - and if you are (or know) a man over 50 with prostrate trouble starting, then they are the answer!

knightofalbion 18-10-2014 08:04 PM

Yes, packed full of good nutrition

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-benefits.aspx

Emmalevine 02-11-2014 09:52 AM

Thanks for the receipe Squatch, I think I might have a go too! I won't use chillis though as I don't get on well with them and I don't like overly hot food anyway. A pinch of chilli powder is always enough for any receipe that requires a chilli or two.

Squatchit 03-11-2014 09:04 AM

Let me know how it goes and whether you liked it Starbuck!

I've got a detox cookbook on loan for a couple of weeks and we've made a couple of the dishes - they are absolutely delicious, and healthy to boot! Who'd have thought cabbage soup could be so exciting!!! :D

Jared.L 03-10-2016 07:35 AM

Well done, bro! I am a raw vegan for 6 years now and I am so happy I gave up on junk food!

CarolineD 03-10-2016 07:38 PM

Being vegan is so good! Just need to get used to it