Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Films (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Black Swan (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9177)

Yozhik 14-03-2011 01:20 AM

I don't like dark movies either, ones that are dark for entertainment sake and contain no lesson (like horror movies, most criminal dramas etc).

I was a little apprehensive when going to see Black Swan, because I chose it by reading the synopsis and only later saw the dark trailers, but I thought all the dark moments and all the hyperbolae were in context and helped bring forward the deep meaning of the movie. In fact I was so impressed that I looked up other moveis by Aronofsky. So far watched The Fountain and can also recommend it as a very spiritual movie - another pleasant surprise.

Kiki04 07-04-2011 10:13 AM

I did and I loved it. It was a bit hard on me because I can relate a little too much to Nina considering that I went through the same deal last year. >.<

Deusdrum 23-04-2011 12:45 PM

Finally watched this tonight. I thought is was good for what it was within itself. It was consistent and everything fit nicely, and the acting was pretty strong.

It was a bit on the dark side, which i'm fine with in certain movies, but maybe bit too depressing in a way as well for me. I did like it though, how you are kept guessing for example, about some of the main supporting characters intentions, you see the good and the bad, how much was in Nina's mind? etc.

The best part was the Mila Kunis & Natalie Portman love scene, i thought is was- acted.. real good.. with nuances and stuff.. ;)

Mountain-Goat 28-10-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothwing
Honza, if you've seen any of Aronofsky's films (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler) it's really in the same vein. He is genius! And what Mava said - very true! I really loved the identity crisis, definitely Natalie Portman's greatest performance to date!

Never saw it at movies.Just bought it on Vid, will be watching it soon.
Interested because of Aronofsky and Portman.

Was and still am blown away by The Fountain.
Don't want to watch Requeim again because I just find it too powerful to cope with.

Mountain-Goat 11-11-2011 12:16 AM

Okay. Watched it the other day.
Pretty intense. Not as intense as Requeim, but still had me somewhat physically drained afterwards.
Brilliant performance by Natalie and main supporting cast.
Brilliant camera work, script and direction.
But, what was it about?
I saw it was about her obsession with perfection, but was there more to it?

Swami Chihuahuananda 11-11-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yozhik
I don't like dark movies either, ones that are dark for entertainment sake and contain no lesson (like horror movies, most criminal dramas etc).

I was a little apprehensive when going to see Black Swan, because I chose it by reading the synopsis and only later saw the dark trailers, but I thought all the dark moments and all the hyperbolae were in context and helped bring forward the deep meaning of the movie. In fact I was so impressed that I looked up other moveis by Aronofsky. So far watched The Fountain and can also recommend it as a very spiritual movie - another pleasant surprise.

I wrote a lot about Black Swan elsewhere , thought Natalie ruined it with the relentless moping and pouting; way overdone, way overrated, i.m.o..
Good idea for a film , but it was soured by that sad-clown face she never changed or took off.

The Fountain, o.t.o.h. is my favorite movie of all time. It's even better that Beavis & Butthead Do America :wink: :glasses2:

Mountain-Goat 14-11-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dafydd
Finally saw this film.

I personally think that the film was about Nina's inability to deal with the darker, sensual and sexual side of herself once it had became apparent to her and developed (due to the help of her ballet instructor and Lily), because it was kept hidden and smothered in a sense by the controlling presence/influence of her mother, hence why Nina embodied the essence of the white swan: pure, innocent, naive - all of which are apparent with not only her personality, but physically within the confines of her bedroom.

This inability to deal with the darker part of her psyche lead Nina (or perhaps Nina's mind) to sort after a way of repressing it, by disassociating herself (the pure, innocent and naive Nina) from the developing darker side. She embarks on this disassociation in two ways: her mind makes her believe that this darker side is actually Lily, and the transformation she goes through in actually becoming a Black Swan - hence the hallucination involving the fantasies with Lily(/imagine Nina) and the feathers growing on her, etc.

That's my two cents worth.

Ah, yeah I can see this in it. Excellent observations dafydd

hawkmoth65 19-12-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dafydd
Finally saw this film.

I personally think that the film was about Nina's inability to deal with the darker, sensual and sexual side of herself once it had became apparent to her and developed (due to the help of her ballet instructor and Lily), because it was kept hidden and smothered in a sense by the controlling presence/influence of her mother, hence why Nina embodied the essence of the white swan: pure, innocent, naive - all of which are apparent with not only her personality, but physically within the confines of her bedroom.

This inability to deal with the darker part of her psyche lead Nina (or perhaps Nina's mind) to sort after a way of repressing it, by disassociating herself (the pure, innocent and naive Nina) from the developing darker side. She embarks on this disassociation in two ways: her mind makes her believe that this darker side is actually Lily, and the transformation she goes through in actually becoming a Black Swan - hence the hallucination involving the fantasies with Lily(/imagine Nina) and the feathers growing on her, etc.

That's my two cents worth.

I agree with AC,this is a brilliant observation.Just finished watching it and I was blown away....a dark film yes but in a beautiful and deeply emotional way.Nina gradually being introduced to the dark side first by the instructor and then by Lily in the bars and clubs before the girl on girl scenes (if any of that did indeed happen in reality).

The ending too with Nina as the white swan committing suicide,was she really bleeding or was that her own hallucination as her true nature resurfaced?Fascinating and very gripping,I love these deep films.

Honza 20-12-2011 09:33 PM

It all sounds terribly sad and depressing.......a bit overpowering for me at the moment.