Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Animals (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Aquiring a cat or cats! (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40455)

Ninoushka 04-09-2012 06:09 AM

thank you for the compliments on Charlie guys :D
Can't wait to see who you decide to take in Starbuck ;)

Emmalevine 04-09-2012 01:38 PM

I'm probably getting an 18 month old tortishell female :smile: Am going to see her tomorrow and with any luck bringing her to her new home!

Berry 04-09-2012 02:04 PM

Congrats on your bringing home a cat tomorrow! What a blessing! They are fine solitary or as pairs. We've had 4 cats and now we are down to one. I hope you'll be posting lots of photos of your new kitty!

Ninoushka 04-09-2012 02:32 PM

I hope to see pictures tooo !!!
The crazy cat ladies club is now open :D

sesheta 04-09-2012 05:10 PM

It does seem easier to have at least 2 cats - that way if you're not home, they can keep each other company and have someone to play with :)
I have 5 cats myself, and they are just a joy to me - there is never a day that goes by without them making me laugh or smile! They comfort me when I'm sad, and are great reminders to simply stop, relax, and enjoy a cat nap :cat:

Emmalevine 04-09-2012 05:34 PM

I'm home most of the time. I did say to the lady I'd be happy to have two but she said this particular cat would be better alone for at least the time being so it has most of the attention. It would be possible later on though. I have two guinea pigs so she won't feel entirely alone! :smile:

sesheta 04-09-2012 06:10 PM

A few tips -

- the more expensive the cat toy/scratch post...the less likely they are to play with it or use it, lolol! A cat will be just as happy with a piece of ribbon, or an empty cardboard box....

- Not all cats respond to catnip....some have no reaction at all - and I had one cat who seemed to be somewhat allergic, because any time she got near catnip, all she would do is sneeze!!

- Try to start trimming their claws as soon as possible - the earlier you get them used to it, the easier it is. I find that alternating between brushing them (which most cats LOVE) and trimming claws, then giving them a few treats at the end, seems to be a good combination :smile:

Enjoy your new companion :D

Xan 04-09-2012 11:44 PM

On the other hand, if the cat goes outside claws are needed for escaping up trees... out of range of dogs and other predators.

Xan

sesheta 05-09-2012 05:50 AM

To Xan

On the other hand, if the cat goes outside claws are needed for escaping up trees... out of range of dogs and other predators.

Absolutely - that's why I mentioned just trimming the claws, not getting the cat de-clawed (which I am totally opposed to, even if it's a strictly indoor cat!!) :smile:

Emmalevine 05-09-2012 05:36 PM

Oh dear it so nearly broke my heart seeing all the rescue cats in their small spaces :icon_frown: I wish i could have rescued them all!

But here is Tori, 18 months old and incredibly cute! She's friendly and interested in her new home, only disappearing behind the sofa at times for some quiet.