PDA

View Full Version : Name Meanings

Aoife
31-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Hello all,

Is anyone else interested in the meanings behind given names?

I draw a lot of confidence and strength from mine at times. Because for me name meanings are something I've been interested in from a young age I wonder if, on my path, my name has been brought together to give me confidence and conformation in who I am, what I'm doing, where I've come from and where I'm going.

The name on my birth certificate can be translated thusly;

Princess . Favoured by God . Wise One
(First). (Middle). (Surname)

Or Princess Wise One for short ;-D

I am curious as to other peoples opinions of whether our names given at birth have anything to do with anything - regardless of whether parents were aware of it or not - and your general thoughts on the subject I guess.

If nothing else it's a fun exercise :-)

*In keeping with the rules of the forum if you want to participate in this thread please don't type your full name on here, just the meanings. With meanings only it would be hard for another person to work out your real name in full... I have tried googling my name definitions to be sure. If in any doubt try googling your own definitions to see what comes up for yourself before you post.

*I struggled with what catorgory to add this thread to so my apologies if you feel it should be somewhere else.

Peace and Love :-)

Jenny Crow
31-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Yes, I believe that our names are very important because of the energies they pull to us. If you can find a book by Linda Goodman called Star Signs she goes into all of this, it's really quite interesting.

I once had a friend who called her horse 'Trouble' - and you wouldn't believe the kinds of trouble that horse faced in his life and also brought into her life.

Aoife
31-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the book recommendation - I've found it on Amazon and hopefully it should turn up sometime this week :-)

That's how I feel about names too... Mine right now mostly makes me feel strong.
I know if I ever have kids I will be careful in how I choose their names.

BriarRose
31-05-2014, 04:00 PM
I dislike my given name, which means "pretty". My middle name was seemingly invented by my mother, but it is only one letter "off" from one I used in a recent past life. That makes me wonder if the unborn child influences the choice of name. I had only girl's names selected when my daughters were born. I think our names affect us because others have perceptions about the kind of person who bears a certain name. We are affected by the perception of others. Numerology also could have a bearing in all this.

Jenny Crow
31-05-2014, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=RosieCotton] .......That makes me wonder if the unborn child influences the choice of name. I had only girl's names selected when my daughters were born. I think our names affect us because others have perceptions about the kind of person who bears a certain name. We are affected by the perception of others. Numerology also could have a bearing in all this.[/QUOTE

That's really interesting about the unborn child influencing the choice of name and it's something that I've never thought of. I wonder if that does happen. And I totally agree with numerology having an influence on things. Again, Linda Goodman's goes into that too. I won't make appointments on certain days and I try to get some appointments on especially good days.

Tesla_Rain
01-06-2014, 03:11 AM
I find it interesting so I did a search. Came up with Carpenter or adze. God is gracious. Warlike.
:smile:

Aoife
01-06-2014, 09:34 AM
@rosiecotton Aw but 'pretty' is so sweet :-)
I actually used to hate my name but my feelings changed over time.

Its interesting that you mention about the similarities in past life names... I sometimes wonder about that too.

Could you explain more about numerology having an influence?

@alina11 I like your name meanings :-) ...do you feel like they apply to you in any way/ do they make sense to you?

It might interest you to also look at your grandparents surnames - I think of them like my origins in a sense.
On my paternal grandparents side I have Old counsel/wise one/ elf ruler and woodland clearing/ wood clearing/ thorn bush clearing (various definitions of both names) and on my maternal grandparents side I have gracious and servant. It feels to me like both sets were the right fit for each other :-)

Michelle11
01-06-2014, 01:30 PM
I believe names hold a lot of meaning not just our own but I also pay close attention to them in my dreams. The only thing I think may also hold true is they can also contain aspects of what challenges us. The name can describe our strengths but also our weaknesses and I am with Rosie. I believe we plan a lot of things about our life even the name.

My first name is One Who Is Like God and I tend to have perfectionist issues. My others are Gracious, Merciful and Rock. Qualities I try to embody but I'm not always successful at.

Lilyth Von Gore
01-06-2014, 01:53 PM
My first name means God is my judge. It's a variation of Danielle, which is the feminine version of Daniel.
I dislike being judged by people, and often I feel as though the only one who an judge me are my Gods.

BriarRose
01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
I don't know enough about Numerology to know why it has an influence, Aoife, but it seems to be true that it does! :smile: The responses here are so interesting. I know none of you very well yet, but the meanings of your names seem to reflect things about you on a deep level. :smile: I wanted to name my son two names that meant "poet from the fairy fort". His father refused to cooperate. The name we eventually gave him means "descending from Scotland". I had a past life there, so I am beginning to wonder if he was with me there. This was a cool idea for a thread, Aoife.

Jenny Crow
02-06-2014, 03:33 AM
@rosiecotton
Could you explain more about numerology having an influence?
-)

"Linda Goodman's Star Signs" will explain it all for you - hope you get it soon. It's quite involved, but you'll have no trouble working with it and she even shows you how to calculate the numbers of your name and birth date and what they mean for you.:smile:

Electric_Dreams
15-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Yes hun, I believe name meanings are important...its funny that you signed your post with peace and love as my daughters names are Erin(irish for peace) and Carys(welsh for love) their middle names are faith and destiny too...and I have a son called Finleigh which means magick :)⭐��⭐

elisi
15-06-2014, 12:44 PM
slightly related....my daughter named her son river.

one day when he was about 5, i had some runes out and he was interested so i told him to pick one. the one he picked was 'river'. :)