PDA

View Full Version : What stone is a "shiva lingam"?

Kiran
19-11-2010, 02:09 PM
I found it in my stone shop, the saleswoman said neither she had heard of it before. It is small and oval, red with a white top.

Spiritlite
19-11-2010, 03:46 PM
From the top of my head you only find those in an indian river and they are collected once a year. They range in sizes to HUGE like 20 pounds to small. They signify male and female coming into one, I think the red is the male and the white is the femal and the egg shape is maternal. I personally have one and personally the energy doesn't suit me too well.
Hope this helps
Spiritlite

Kiran
19-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Thank you, Spiritlite. You explained very well. The energy seems to fit a person doing tantra and/or using kundalini. I might buy a small one and test out if it works for me.

Gracias, Kiran

SunSister
19-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Shiva lingam is also connected with the deity Shiva and represents the union between him and his wife Parvati, or between male and female. :smile: The male energy is symbolised by the shape of the stone and the female energy is symbolised by the colours of the stone. It balances the body energy and provides knowledge and creativity.

I was drawn to the stone quite a long time ago. It grows so hot in the palm of my hand when I hold it, even after all this time. :smile: I find that it helps me clear my mind. I have a tentative connection with Shiva Nataraja, so the stone helps me create the balance that this form of Shiva embodies through its dance.

Spiritlite
19-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Sunsister thanks for clarifying what I wrote...I was in error of what was male and female. It's just weird because when I hold the stone I do not get a good feeling at all and my husband too doesn't like it, I dont' know if it needs to be saged or if it's just too powerful for me right now.
xo
Spiritlite.

Spiritlite
19-11-2010, 06:26 PM
oh and if you youtube "shiva Lingham and blessing" it will show you Indians in india blessing a shiva lingham it's quite fascinating.
Spiritlite.

SunSister
19-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Sunsister thanks for clarifying what I wrote...I was in error of what was male and female.

You're welcome. :smile: I replied because shiva lingam is one of my favourites.

It's just weird because when I hold the stone I do not get a good feeling at all and my husband too doesn't like it, I dont' know if it needs to be saged or if it's just too powerful for me right now.
xo
Spiritlite.

It just may not be right for you. I personally can't stand rhodochrosite and used to have trouble with rose quartz (yes, I'm strange :wink:) so I know what it's like to get that sort of feeling from a stone. I think that either you may not need it at all (some stones stay icy cold in my hands then) or you may be out of tune with the energy it provides. Cleansing/saging it would be a wise thing to do in any case, because it gives you a bad feeling.

Spiritlite
19-11-2010, 07:27 PM
yeah I'm thinking of giving it away in fact.
Spiritlite.

sunny shine
19-11-2010, 11:24 PM
we never bring shiv lingams home, elders say it should not be kept at home, any heavy idols need a certain way of taking care thats only done in temples

Kiran
20-11-2010, 12:00 AM
sunny shine, you are from India? Yes, it seemed to me a heavy idol. I felt awkward when holding one in my hand, like holding what we alemans call a "reliquie"... something sacred that wasn't quite meant to belong to me...
Know what I mean?

Topaz
22-11-2010, 01:07 AM
I love the Shiva lingam . I have several lol . For me they are grounding but put the spark back into my body and aura . I get such a buzz they are very powerful balancing the polarities of the female and male energies in your body .

Spiritlite
22-11-2010, 01:45 AM
SunnyShine what do I do with my Shiva Lingham I now know why I have a weird feeling when I hold it I've set it aside so I don't have to see it or hold it not that I don't love the stone what do I do to honor the stone and give her/him away?
Spiritlite.

Topaz
22-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Shiva Lingam Stone...
Increases Vitality and Pranic Energy

What Is It

Shiva Lingam are a sacred stone of the Indian Hindu religion....that will intensify the vitality and level of pranic energy within your body. Its vibration has a different action depending on where you place it. To improve your overall health these stones are powerful as they stimulate the energy system of the entire body.... and will aid an overall improvement in your health and well-being.
Where Does It Come From

These stones come from only one place... the Narmada River in Western India.... one of India's holy sites. The villagers gather the stones from the river and hand polish them so that they are a smooth rounded shape. Their colors vary... but they are all a tan color with various brown, red or grey stipes, spots or patches on the stones.
The word 'Lingum' comes from the Sanskrit word for symbol.... as these stones are a symbol of Lord Shiva. These stones are an integral part of their worship practices, and have been for hundreds of years.
What Is The Meaning Of This Shape

These stones are deliberately made into the well-known shape, as this shape has a specific meaning. This shape is symbolic of the phallus of the Hindu God Shiva, and of his union with his consort Kali.
While some Shiva Lingamhttp://hcfy-images.s3.amazonaws.com/shiva2-200.jpg stones occur naturally... many of the stones are hand polished and shaped by the people who live in this area.
Within the form of the stones, there is also the shape of the cosmic egg... out of which all creation has emerged.
This therefore makes these stones encompass both the male and female, and their union... within the one sacred object.
Hindu tradition speaks of the Goddess Parvati... who shaped a Shiva Lingam out of sand... then worshipped Lord Shiva.
Within the temples there are beautiful Shiva Lingam stones that have occurred naturally in this shape... and they are particularly sacred to the devotees.
Why Would You Use It

This is a stone that carries a lot of energy. The stones are basically quartz... with a lot of impurities from the river where they originate mixed through.
Perhaps much of the reason why they have such a strong energy is the fact that stones of this shape have been worshipped by devotees for many centuries. This creates a particular type of resonance within the field of pure potentiality... that creates all that is.

sunny shine
22-11-2010, 02:58 PM
SunnyShine what do I do with my Shiva Lingham I now know why I have a weird feeling when I hold it I've set it aside so I don't have to see it or hold it not that I don't love the stone what do I do to honor the stone and give her/him away?
Spiritlite.

Give it away to any nearby temple or meditation centers or donate it to ashrams, if nothing is found in your location pray to it and ask it to move on to where it needs to be.

Spiritlite
22-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Thankyou Sunny I'll see what I can do thanks for the info.
Spiritlite.