PDA

View Full Version : Cedar

Albalida
12-02-2013, 12:48 AM
This seemed the best place to post this topic, even though it's definitely leaning more towards the physical properties and general energetic (genergetic?) traits of this type of wood, rather than communication with the dryad, or the oversoul of all cedarwood or whatnot... those, anyone who wants to weigh in with personal experiences along those lines, are very welcome to do so as well. :smile:

After some cursory researching, I've read that Cedar is a Mediterranean conifer tree. The oil of this tree repels moths, which was why the wood was so valued for making clothing storage boxes. It looks like it started out as a folk term for any similarly hardy and aromatic wood, which was why trees all over the world (juniper cypress, some kinds of mahogany, and trees now classified under the genus cedrela) would also be considered cedar.

As well as repelling moths, termites don't like to eat cedarwood either.

I was wondering if anyone would recommend some reliable offline resources about cedar wood? Books, or even woodworking magazine issues?

Arcturus
13-02-2013, 12:31 PM
nothing to add other than i have always had an attraction for cedar trees...i love the way the branches reach out

Ciqala
15-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Cedar is one of the four sacred plants in my native culture. Mostly because it is used as a sacred cleansing herb when burned, much like sage.

Wilderness debris huts are lined on the bottom and top with cedar to keep away insects. Cedar also keeps away bad spirits.

When burned cedar is one of the most powerful cleansers.
But be careful because too much of the fumes can be poisonous.

In gardening, you never put cedar bark mulch near plants you want to survive. Unless you communicate with the cedar and ask it not to harm the plant in question, but to keep away other unwanted weeds.