PDA

View Full Version : The Faerie Stone

Tobi
25-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Has anyone heard this (I think Irish?) legend about Faerie Stones?
Such a stone must be found on the banks of a stream, on a completely dry bank -not in the water. It has a natural hole through it. They are usually small enough to be held comfortably in the hand.
The possessor or "guardian" of such a stone is supposed to be given safe passage on their visits through the Realms of Faerie, that they shall pass freely anywhere, and return to their human lives safely, and not get waylaid.

If anyone knows more about this, please do add it, as those things were all I could remember.

I once found a stone like this! And strangely enough it was only a few days after I heard the legend for the first time. I still have it hanging in my kitchen on a cord.

Hazel
27-10-2012, 11:25 AM
I haven't heard the legend in this life but it feels familiar to me. Good luck!

Tobi
27-10-2012, 09:58 PM
The more I look at my "Faerie Stone" the more it looks like a fossil of some kind, as under a magnifying glass it looks as though it has miniature delicate shards of bone in it. A thought occurred to me that it could possibly be fossilized bird poop! haha. But nevertheless -that's what was given to me that day, so I am grateful!

Quagmire
28-10-2012, 06:21 PM
A favorite Irish fairy is the Sidhe ("Shee") which has been found in stories all along the British Isles ... The Irish look for them at Midsummer Eve, or any night of the full moon if you can find a river rock with a hole worn through the center by natural erosion. Cutting a hole in the middle of a stone won't work because the magic is found in the natural hole worn away by water.

As far as I understand the Sidhe descent from the Tuatha de Danann, at least those known as the Doine Sidhe. A thought occured to me when you wrote fossil that the stone might be a fairy turned into stone and its spirit still dwells within and it is the spirit that gives you safe passage. This is just a stray thought though :wink: The Otherworld as the Irish call it is vast and diverse, so if it gives you safe passage everywhere, only some places or not at all I do not know. It might also only be a pathway stone that only gives you safe passage between the worlds. I do believe with any place one wants to travel it is wise to investigate whether one is welcome or not, the faeries can be as kind as they can be mischeveous (or even crude) and do not nescesarily live by the same rules and values that we as humans does (and neither does all humans live by the same rules and values :wink:).

Saggi
28-10-2012, 10:51 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d602b3127ccefdba6a4e83cd00000030O08AaNmrRo3YtA e3nwE/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I found this one in my local park last year

A few months ago I was drawn to carry it around with me and since then people have told me I have fairies around me and others make random fairy comments out of the blue

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

LadyTerra
29-10-2012, 04:46 PM
In my Tradition--they are refered to as HolyStones and can be litterally made of anything. The only requirement seems to be that the hole is formed naturally.

I have several and AstralTravel is something with which I have been gifted--
since childhood.

We recognize AstralBeings as the Others--some of Light--some of Shadow--
some were once human--some not. The Faeries are a definite part of this Realm--to our way of thinking.

The HolyStones are a blessing upon whatever journey you happen to be taking at the time that they are found--whether physical, spiritual, or astral.

Peace and Love on your path to discovering the Mysteries...

Blessed be...

FalseAwakening
31-10-2012, 12:45 AM
oh, hmmm does that work with shells too? I have lots and lots of shells with holes in them, idk how they are made though. They are just like that... that and I find whole sand dollars :) I love them so much

but its cool that you found a faerie stone

LadyTerra
31-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Yes--shells count, too!:smile:

FalseAwakening
31-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Sweet then I must have lots of faerie friends or something :) i love my shells... I find lots of them! Well I really miss the sea at the moment. If only it were still summer

LadyTerra
01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Sweet then I must have lots of faerie friends or something :) i love my shells... I find lots of them! Well I really miss the sea at the moment. If only it were still summer

It will be (again) before you know it! Sounds like the SeaFaeries have taken quite a shine to you!:wink:

Peace and Love on your path to the Mother's Womb...

Blessed be...

Alwyna
20-11-2012, 03:48 PM
A thought occured to me when you wrote fossil that the stone might be a fairy turned into stone and its spirit still dwells within and it is the spirit that gives you safe passage... reading that caused a feeling of flipping over or leaping happily in my belly. I also have often heard that if you look through the hole of a "holy" stone you can see the "invisible" "other" world. Maybe you, Tobi, would be seeing the world through the eyes of ... of....himself or herself... ?????Whhhhhoooo knows. ;)

Tobi
20-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Well, for me, the oddest thing about finding that stone (which was years ago now) was this: I read about the legend of the Faerie Stone in a book one evening. It was described in a rhyme. I can't remember exactly how the rhyme went, but it was about finding a little stone with a natural hole through it, on the dry bank next to a stream, untouched by the water...and the thing about it bestowing safe passage through the realms of Faerie (presumably keeping the traveler clear-minded and safe from misleading Faerie Glamours, and mischief-makers)
That's more or less what I recall the rhyme talked about.
Anyway the really weird thing is, I went actually to look for a stone like that the very next afternoon. For the sake of pleasant curiosity, and because of reading the legend. And that was when I found the stone.
Apparently, also according to the legend they are not so easy to find, so I thought this was quite awesome!
I've found loads of tiny ammonites with natural holes through them too, some really small, like 1/4" diameter and smaller, but find them in fields. They are so lovely, and make perfect necklaces.

Asrais
27-11-2012, 03:44 AM
I believe part of the legend is that if you look through the hole in the stone, you will be able to see into the world of the fairies. I think they are also known as witch stones.