PDA

View Full Version : Strange stargazing exp. 2 nights in a row

RisenPhoenix
16-02-2012, 07:43 PM
For the last two nights in a row while on my balcony I noticed a lonely star in the sky and both times after I'd been staring at it for a while it slow flickered to black. On the second night though the one that flickered black slowly lit up again then went back out. Wondering if anyone has an explanation for this.

Greybeard
18-02-2012, 02:09 PM
There is a phenomenon known as "clouds"....

A more imaginative possibility is that the Lone Star Electric Coop turned off the lights for non-payment. It is a well-known fact that even stars have periods of inflation and collapse in their volatile economies.

Venus and Jupiter are near each other in the west shortly after sunset now. Venus is applying to the conjunction, which occurs on 13 March in 10 Taurus, when both planets will be in exact Trine aspect to Mars in the East. They will be separated by about 3 degrees of declination, with Jupiter farther south. On the 25th and 26th of this month Moon will conjunct first Venus, then Jupiter. Venus is nearing her maximum elongation now, and so is very big and bright.

For those of you interested in astrology, and depending on just where you are located, Venus and Jupiter will be in the 8th House, and Mars on the cusp of the 12th about 8:30 at night. The houses of the horoscope are always in the same part of the sky. By 9:30, Mars will be in the 11th House, and Venus/Jupiter in the 7th.

If you watch the two planets as they set over the horizon, you will notice that even though the two planets are in the same degree of the zodiac, Venus sets about 8 or 9 minutes later than Jupiter. This is because of the difference in declination mentioned above. The two planets, as they set, will be on the cusp of the 7th House, whch is the western horizon. At that time (about 11:30 at night, again depending on just where you live,) Mars will be in the 10th House, and Saturn will be rising and in the 12th. Both Mars and Saturn are retrograde.

You can watch the retrograde motion of Mars by comparing its distance from Regulus, a bright star right on the ecliptic and at 00 degrees of Leo, on successive nights. Mars, on the 12th of March will be in the 10th degree of Leo. He will move backwards in the zodiac, toward Regulus to his west, at about one degree every three nights. On 13 April Mars reaches his direct station and comes as close to Regulus as he will get (a bit less than 4 degrees), and then slowly begins moving away from that star toward the east.

RisenPhoenix
23-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Forgot about this thread. Lol.

Morpheus
16-07-2012, 12:25 AM
You probably were looking at a man made satellite, possible obscured for a time by another one.

I read there are over 11,000 space objects circling the Earth, most stationary in orbit.
Around 1000 in this debris field is actually operational.

Everything else is non functional space junk.