PDA

View Full Version : Religion vs. religions

akbar
06-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Does each religion have a separate God? Why they insist on special name or names for their God? Does God approve any language necessary to be prayed? Does not He know other languages? Does he approve only special manners to be prayed as different armies observe different orders for show off? Does religion not believe that the God is one, the God of universe and mankind?

The God is one but religions differ and they (God forbid) compel the God to be only their. Groups had/have been fighting for their separate identities and even for preferences including languages, races, nations, religions for the God to be their. Any one religion is not willing to share his so called God with any other religion and struggles to prove his claim. Each claims the God's preference. Each claims having God's authority or (God forbid) authority over God. Faith in the God including mercy, kindness, love, justice, brotherhood, fraternity and good social behaviors do not fulfill the need of having a separate religion so some or more additions, conditions and other specialties are necessary requirements. Religions require clergies to teach such specialties and clergies require specialties of concerned religion for their existence. How clergies can say that their can be any way out other than observance of such specialties?

All religions join such competition so separate additions, conditions, and other manners are included for keeping separate entities. Claims of superiorities are necessary to satisfy respective followers, so each religion claims having best additions, conditions. Places of worship, designs of worship places, manners/timings of worship, holy days/observance of such days, holy places/pilgrimage of such places, and traditions/observance of such traditions from birth to death and even names of individuals are kept different for maintaining religious differentiations. I know some clergies who insist on observing particular manners for eating, drinking, walking, sleeping, entering a building or coming out and many more. They also insist on related prayers for all such occasions to be learnt by heart. Religions must be different with different holy personalities for attaining blessings and for getting approvals for heaven.

Clergies of each religion claim that heaven or blessings of the God are only for their followers excluding all others, so this can be a perfect base for scuffles and also wars. Some where in holy books followers are admonished not to be friendly with others and they are motivated to wage holy wars against those who do not accept their God. I appreciate wisdom of all religion followers that they do not fight in spite of having such perfect bases of differentiations and live in peace on the principle of live and let live. Does this mean that they have turned hypocrites?

Please allow me to point out some hypocrisy (as I think). Please forgive me if I am wrong. People of many religions believe that there is an endless life after death with unimaginable pleasures, satisfaction and happiness. Such life is invisible. I think that had there been a visible life just equal to this life we are living then people would have given much importance to such a life. People do prefer to live with ease in coming future and for this purpose they save, work and even suffer; so had there been a visible transformation/migration from one continent to another or from one planet to another then people would have been much concerned about even such time was/is equal to their present life. If this is correct then hypocrisy certainly exists otherwise why they do not care much for that endless life? Why they cheat, torture, kill and lie? Why they remain cruel and unkind? This certainly means that they do not believe in that endless life and even then religions do accept their eligibility for heaven and blessings of their God above all other humans not belonging to their creed or group. If you do not mind this seems to me hypocrisy.

I do believe in life after death and that human soul will never perish. I also believe in the God

akbar
06-02-2007, 01:47 PM
This God or that God,

Of turban

Monkey
06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Generally speaking, when there are wars or arguments between religions and religious, its not because one believes that there god is different to the other person's god, rather they are fighting over perceptions of the one God. For example, John might believe that only through faith does one go to heaven while George might believe it is only through good works that one goes to heaven, but it isn't a different God that they are fighting over. Its more about how we serve, perceive, worship, issues like that. At any rate however, it is true that there are a lot of hypocritical statements made in the cause of religion.

On the other hand however, hypocrisy does not only belong to religion. Many people are generally hypocritical. They tell their children to not smoke when they grow up and will do it with a cigarette in their fingers. They commit themselves to exercise and don't do it, they announce themselves to be honest people but often lie, etc. Even in science, there are lies, cheating, competition, egos, hypocrisy, etc, and science is suppose to be above such things.

I would also remind that while there are very rich mainstream religious organisations out there, the New Age, Spiritualist, type movements are also making a bundle of money. John Edward charges $600 for an hour of his time and there is a three year waiting list. I am not saying it is wrong for him to do that, just trying to put things in perspective, that no one is immune to hypocrisy, faults, small-mindedness, ego, etc, and that no organisation is perfect either.

I think you have to look beyond the hypocrisy in all areas of life and look for what is good and true in people, beliefs and organisations. I think we also need to also look beyond our own hypocrisy and find the good in ourselves. Perhaps the world won't look so wicked if we can find the good in ourselves and in others.

kundalini
06-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Hey akbar, they were really insightful posts and Monkey, your post nicely complemented akbar's and balanced it all out. Great insights, K.

akbar
07-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Generally speaking, when there are wars or arguments between religions and religious, its not because one believes that there god is different to the other person's god, rather they are fighting over perceptions of the one God. For example, John might believe that only through faith does one go to heaven while George might believe it is only through good works that one goes to heaven, but it isn't a different God that they are fighting over. Its more about how we serve, perceive, worship, issues like that. At any rate however, it is true that there are a lot of hypocritical statements made in the cause of religion.

On the other hand however, hypocrisy does not only belong to religion. Many people are generally hypocritical. They tell their children to not smoke when they grow up and will do it with a cigarette in their fingers. They commit themselves to exercise and don't do it, they announce themselves to be honest people but often lie, etc. Even in science, there are lies, cheating, competition, egos, hypocrisy, etc, and science is suppose to be above such things.

I would also remind that while there are very rich mainstream religious organisations out there, the New Age, Spiritualist, type movements are also making a bundle of money. John Edward charges $600 for an hour of his time and there is a three year waiting list. I am not saying it is wrong for him to do that, just trying to put things in perspective, that no one is immune to hypocrisy, faults, small-mindedness, ego, etc, and that no organisation is perfect either.

I think you have to look beyond the hypocrisy in all areas of life and look for what is good and true in people, beliefs and organisations. I think we also need to also look beyond our own hypocrisy and find the good in ourselves. Perhaps the world won't look so wicked if we can find the good in ourselves and in others.

Good arguments by you. You are right that societies have many other hypocricies but I am particularly concerned about hypocricies in the name of God/gods so I have pointed out.

Monkey
07-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Why are you particularly concerned about religious hypocrisy?

TzuJanLi
07-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Greetings..

Consider the different languages.. they all see the same flower, but name it differently.. They all have spiritual awareness, but express it differently.. usually based on localized customs and cultural influences.. It's all one thing, being experienced differently..

Be well..

akbar
08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Friends, do you think that their are or may be different gods and not one God? If so I do not agree with you. If the God is one then why so much differences on faith about God?
I say and believe that the God is one and insist on nothing else. I would not write or preach you any thing else. I have to write the name of God with out any additions or conditions. If you feel any please let me know. This is the difference between my faith and religions. Unlike religions I have no objection to any traditions, languages, modes and places of worship etc.
My faith consist of only one point and that is the God. I speak of the God given human values which you and I share so nothig special from me.
I speak of religious hypocricy because we are discussing religions and spirtuality.
I hope you would not mind if I reproduce here my poem to make my point more clear which I sent in my introductory post.

I am your friend also,

May not be of your skin,
May not be of your nation,
May not be of your language,
May not be of your standard,

Yet I can live as you live,
Yet I can sing as you sing,
Can love your art and ways of life,
The land you live in or any sight,

I can join you in sad and glad,
Can share your hopes and wear as you clad,
Can join you in prayers where you pray,
Though I shall say silently what I have to say,

The God I pray is your God also,
May be more yours than mine also,
The God of universe and mankind also,
I am your friend also.

I can join you to defend the just,
If you are to help weak or oppressed,
But if I happen to meet the others,
If they claim to behave as human brothers,
I may be very easily inspired also,
No restraint shall then I abide by also,
I shall embrace and say to them also,
I am your friend also.

TzuJanLi
08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Greetings..

There are many interpretations of "The One God".. in fact, i sincerely believe that each of us has a slightly or vastly different personal understanding of "God".. that does not alter "God", it speaks of our individuality.. it is through sincere interaction that we can more closely approach harmony in our understandings of "God"..

Hypocricy is is nothing more than evidence of human frailty.. that it offends is another frailty.. to speak the words we believe is much easier than living them.. perfection is a high standard. To be able to bless your brothers and sisters regardless of their faults creates more harmony than to curse them even with your own faults, which is its own hypocricy...

Be well...

akbar
11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I do not want to impose my concept of God. I agree with the concept of an Almighty God as said in some religions though I think they do not truely believe so.
Is there any one who claims sincerity with his/her Master? Please let me know to follow him/her. When I speak of the God I mean so and any god of my personal selfish thoughts. Let me know your concept of the God to agree with.

akbar
11-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I prayed the God to accept me as his,

fool
11-02-2007, 05:35 PM
I once had the different religions explained like this ,

God ( or higher conscious or whatever ) is represented as the top of a mountain.

The many different religions are represented as many villages around the base.

each village can see the top of the mountain, but has adifferent view, and sees something different,
and when someone from a village tries to reach up to the top of the mountain, the path is different from village to village

but in essence they are all the same

karen
15-02-2007, 05:10 AM
[quote=akbar]I prayed the God to accept me as his,

akbar
15-02-2007, 05:49 AM
(Akbar:hug2: that is as humble as it gets. I sincerely believe there is one God who has created everything...the Almighty.

There is so much beauty, seen and unseen....Our home, the earth .... each other, mankind.....the spirit creatures and their realm. The majority seem at present to be in opposition to who created them and for what purpose.

So many march off to war and kill or they make the creation more important than the creator or even to the other extreme where they show no regard for his creations and destroy them. This observation must not become a judgement though. After all God knows our hearts and knows us better than we know ourselves and how many of us have come from this existense. I know i did !!!!

I guess the message of God is so wonderful that we fall into the trap of following the messenger rather than the origin of the message. We dont seek the truth ourselves but become trapped in someone elses belief either by fear or greed or simply laziness. We owe it to ourselves to build a relationship with God and to approach him with love and repentence but to give glory to God in our own interpretation without inflicting that way as a requirement on anyone else. We should be there to love and encourage, to help and to teach each other with understanding becoming united in our weaknesses rather than being divided in our pride.

God bless you Akbar[/quote])

Should I understand/take that I have find a like minded fellow? I deeply desire to have at least one. Would you be friendly enough to read my other posts and let me know where you agree or disagree with me?
I requested other friends also to let me know if they find any contradicrions, incoherence or inconsistancies in my posts.

God bless you.

karen
15-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi Akbar ...
Have just got through getting to know you through your posts. You have observed the world with a depth of honesty. You have a wonderful appreciation for what God has created but i just wonder why you have not mentioned Jesus Christ. Have you ever had him explained to you ? I believe Jesus is not God but the spiritual son of God and i call the God, my Father or Jehovah or God but also understand him to be called Jah and Yahweh by others. I believe that the Holy Scriptures/the Bible is the word of God but I understand that you can certainly have a great love and understanding of the almighty without it. It has been fundamental in helping me in my search for truth.

There has never been a time, in my 38 years, that i havnt believed in God, but it was not until i read his word that i drew close to him and truly loved and understood him. I was at a point in my life where i couldnt do it on my own any more. I was so happy to find out that i didnt have to. My life has changed so much and everything i have been able to achieve has been possible through Gods strength and guidence.Yes it got worse before it got better and there was much searching and many tests of faith but i now have a new respect for the word endurance...lol. You sound like you have turned away from certain childhood beliefs so i would love to here what were your defining moments in establishing your faith.

You may never find someone that shares your exact beliefs but that is what makes you 'YOU'. :smile:

TzuJanLi
16-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Greetings..

There is so much beauty, seen and unseen....Our home, the earth .... each other, mankind.....the spirit creatures and their realm. The majority seem at present to be in opposition to who created them and for what purpose.

I don't think that people are "in opposition to who created them and for what purpose.".. i think people see the purpose differently..some see the purpose to be that "God" created the Universe to glorify its ("God's") existence.. pets to worship and adore their Master.. That "purpose" clearly implies that "God" has a perceived condition of lacking something in its existence, it has a "need" to be worshipped, adored, obeyed, etc.. The "God" with which i am familiar has no such lack or need..

Love, bought with promises (heaven) or fear (hell).. is not true Love.. true love is born of an intimate knowing.. observing the characteristics of another and finding truth in the relationship.. true love is expressed in the willingness to let another be "who they are", and accepting their truth of themselves.. "God's" plan, as described in the Bible, would present "God" as a cosmic puppeteer, controlling its creation with the strings of hope and fear.. negotiating eternity with "freewill" and the creation's approved use of it..
GENESIS 6:1 Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose. 3 And the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years." 4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. (NKJV)

Does there seem to be an inconsistency, here..? Where "the sons of God" took women as they chose, without regard for common decency? Clearly, the Bible indicates that "God's" spirit shall not dwell with man forever.. While we are created "in "God's image", it appears that we are less than its "Son's".. we are more tightly regulated and eternally disciplined for deeds that "God's sons" enjoy without consequence.. This passage from "the word of God" is easily interpretable as thge flesh of man being unworthy for "God or his sons", that perhaps, humanity is an experiment and "God" the scientist regulating the outcome.. Maybe humanity is just a cosmic farming project, where the quality of the harvest is regulated by "God or his "sons"...

Either the Bible is true or it isn't.. we can't pick and choose, we can't interpret according to swings in cultural beliefs and standards.. people invoke the Bible as the certain and true word of "God".. and the inconsistencies challenge our reason.. what we have is cultural interpretations of simple spiritual awareness, interpretations that represent thousands of years of campfire imaginings, thousands of nights gazing into the heavens wondering and imagining.. social issues finding residence in the imaginings and consensus in the campfire circles.. belief systems evolve according to the needs of culture and the greed of the powerful..

Worship nothing, yet.. maintain a sacred reverence for ALL things.. find this truth in your own existence.. it's there...

Be well...

akbar
17-02-2007, 04:47 AM
Let me mention again that my faith does not need any references from authoritative or religious books. I have nothing to say but only one that there is a God. I hope you would not find any thing additional in any of my posts. I do not want to indulge in FREE WILL discusions but I am willing to explain my faith from every angle with a simplicity of a farmer.

karen
17-02-2007, 06:18 AM
I believe God created the earth for us with a set of guidelines in place for our own health and happiness. To me,true love is never self serving. God doesnt have a need to be worshipped but has a strong need to take care of us in the best way he knows how. How does he do that when we keep turning away from him. God does let us be who we want to be but in an effort to discipline/teach us, he doesnt disturb the consequences of our choices. Look right now at who you are...do you see any strings ?

To be knowing, you have to remain teachable and without a teacher how would we learn. There is no punishment of 'hell' if you walk away from Gods classroom. You will always make your own choice as to what your heart really desires and can withstand. My only advise is to be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it. I ask myself does my belief have a means to an end? Am i sure i am learning from the right spirit? Has the reward become more important than God himself ? I have tied the strings to myself and given them to God because i know he knows best. I dont see him as a mere puppeteer but my life-line.

I have experienced the Bible to be the word of God. I have deeply searched the apparent inconsistancies and found them to be a course of puzzle pieces that fit presisely, as long as you dont give up at the first sign of difficulty or uncomfortability. My guess is it becomes the veil for those that use it insinserely without an honest heart. Do people consider the amazing knowledge it holds.....

Who else in that period of time could have described the water cycle...Job 36:26,27
26 How great is God

akbar
18-02-2007, 02:04 PM
I read your post and agree with much of it. Christian community is the world's largest and counts in more than billion. I think it may not and would not make any difference with the addition of an ordinory farmer from a third world country.

I would like to illustrate my faith by few more posts and then hear from you about the difference between such a faith and your religion.

Regards and love,
Akbar.

akbar
19-02-2007, 04:07 PM
IGod found me. If there is one person who God can help through me, in my entire life of ministering, it was surely worth the critisism of the rest.

What sort of criticism you may possibly face? Are you also afraid of criticism being a member of civilized and free society?