PDA

View Full Version : The Conjunction

Greybeard
18-09-2011, 11:31 AM
The conjunction is the simplest and most direct of the many possible configurations of planetary energies found in horoscopy. We will use this simplest of forms to demonstrate the complexity involved in horoscopic interpretation and the high sophistication in delineation possible through careful analysis of the many elements comprising planetary aspects.

Let’s take a triple conjunction as our example. We can use Moon, Mars and Neptune as example planets. The first consideration will be the order of the planets in relation to each other. In a configuration involving three planets there are six possible combinations:

Moon – Mars – Neptune
Moon – Neptune – Mars
Neptune – Mars – Moon
Neptune – Moon – Mars
Mars – Moon – Neptune
Mars – Neptune – Moon

The three planets each move through the zodiac at different velocities. Moon is very rapid with a mean velocity of just over 13 degrees per day, Mars moves along at between a half and three-quarters of a degree per day, and Neptune moves very slowly, taking about 14 years to traverse the 30 degrees of one sign. In addition to normal direct motion, we have the possibilities of swift or slow motion and retrograde motion as well, which will affect the expression and timing of events and conditions signified by the configuration. Because the timing of events in a person’s life (whether at a very young age, or sometime later) strongly influences the form and consequences of such events, this is no small matter.

Also affecting both the timing and strength of indicated events in the life is the distance between each of the three planets. A conjunction with Moon at 7 degrees of a sign, Mars at 8 and Neptune at 11 is not the same thing as one with Moon at 7, Mars at 12 and Neptune at 16. It is axiomatic in astrology that proximity of planetary energies increases intensity, on the one hand, and using the “one degree equals one year” formula, it is clear that the timing of events will vary as a function of arc between the planets.

In the first example (Moon – Mars – Neptune) it is clear that the Moon will overtake first Mars, then Neptune, coming into bodily contact with each. This conjunction is dynamic, active. In the third example (Neptune – Mars – Moon) the exact opposite situation prevails; the Moon moves quickly away from the conjunction, having already made its contacts and making no more. Mars also leaves Neptune behind, and so no further contacts occur between the three planets. This configuration indicates a more static and passive sort of condition. The same principle applies to planets connected by aspect rather than conjunction.

The sign occupied by the conjunction is also important. If we have the Moon-Mars-Neptune conjunction in Aries, Mars is in his dignity and can act freely in his own nature...immediate, impetuous, taking the lead or initiative, setting off on adventures...while the Moon is disadvantaged in that Fiery sign. But if the same conjunction is set in Taurus, Moon is exalted...the Mother likely provides solid sustenance, the emotional nature is well-grounded and steady...while Mars is disadvantaged.

These are only a few of the considerations we must take into account in the evaluation of the nature and power of any single element or complex of elements in a chart.

The conjunction essentially implies union. It brings direct action and intensity to the point in the horoscope where it is found. The aspect displays a one-pointedness and is self-absorbed or self-intent; where a conjunction is found, the person will act without regard for other people and their interests. The conjunction is a concentration of energies, acting cooperatively (how cooperatively depends on the planets involved.) The affairs of the houses ruled by the planets forming the conjunction are brought together at the place of the conjunction. The energies of the planets are expressed vigorously and persistently even in the face of great obstacles or external pressures, and the native is unwilling to make concessions or effect compromise at this point. The conjunction is essentially self-centered, and is both unaware of and unconcerned with the not-self. The native is self-motivated where the conjunction occurs and needs no external stimulus to action. The conjunction shows an unusual gift for refining skills or talents and denotes a unique personal characteristic.

As was mentioned above, and as is true for all aspects, the order of the planets in the zodiac and the orb separating them play important roles in proper delineation, as do the signs and houses containing them.

Bertha
18-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Very informative, thanks for posting.

I have Mars/Venus conjunction, 2nd house in Sag. I have been searching for the information about the confirguration Mars/Venus, Venus/Mars, if it matters, but failed to find any.
This conj is always interpreted as a wish to collect material stuff, and money coming and going. But the fact is I feel best with a rather simple life, so I am not a big spender in any means.
The way you explain it, my simple lifestyle can be explained with Mars at 20 Sag and Venus at 21 Sag, Venus being the fastest planet, will not be in contact with Mars again......a more static and passive conj than if it was the other way around.

Natalia
18-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Very interesting. Thanks.

Avilucis
04-12-2011, 10:02 AM
This is great, thank you for posting

Greybeard
04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Avilucis....Hats Off to you. Fine Job. Wouldn't it be nice if we could make this a place where people can begin to understand astrology?

Your thread is full-bodied, professional and accurate. I see Jones is in your library. What a remarkable teacher of astrology he is.

Greybeard
05-12-2011, 12:47 PM
An applying aspect (say Venus were at 19 Sagittarius, Mars at 20 and Venus moving in normal direct motion....she will overtake and contact Mars, an applying aspect....indicates a critical juncture (this principle applies to all aspects, not just the conjunction) and the forces and events leading to that "event" are still gathering force. When an aspect is separating the event has already occurrred and what is seen is the aftermath. Applying aspects are concentrative, while separating aspects are distributive.

To understand the implictions of a close conjunction of Venus and Mars in Sagittarius, the first thing to do is to study the sign of Sagittarius, of itself and without regard to planets it may contain. Both planets will express their own essential natures (the planets each represent different types of energy) in accord with the nature of Sagittarius. Mars will tend to have more power in Sagittarius because it is a Fire sign, and Mars is of a fiery nature. The conjunction is separating, so the more dominant Mars will have passed his energy to the departing Venus, who will distribute it. Not unimportantly, it is necessary to examine Jupiter very closely, because Jupiter rules Sagittarius and therefore the two planets in the conjunction. Look to see if Jupiter is well or poorly placed by sign, house and aspects. Is he in direct or retrograde motion? Is he near an angle or otherwise prominent, or is he relatively weak and without power to act by being in a Cadent house?

Bertha
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Hello Greybeard,
thanks for getting back to this topic.

Jupiter is placed at 9* Aries, 5th house, so it should be well placed since it is a fire sign as well.
It is retrograde, but has turned direct by progression a very long time ago.
Jupiter is trine Mercury 10* Sag, and inconjunct Uranus at 9* Virgo, 10th house.
There is also a loose trine to my 0 * Sag Sun. Meaning Uranus also forms a loose square to my Sun. Besides from that my Sun is unaspected, and using Astro Dienst style, my 2nd house intercepted, making Jupiter co-ruler.

Greybeard
06-12-2011, 02:54 AM
It is its motion at birth that is determinant, not its progressed motion.

I see you use "modern" orbs for planetary aspects. I have found that wider orbs are effective. Traditionally the Sun is given 17 degrees of moiety, the heavy planets 10. This would give an orb of 13-1/2 degrees for a Sun/Jupiter aspect.

In the case of a Sagittarius Sun aspecting Jupiter, a wider orb would seem to be indicated because Jupiter is lord of the Sun, giving the two more affinity and calling for a wider tolerance in any case. Also, I would consider Sun to be square Uranus and not discount the aspect as "wide" and therefore of little significance. Uranus is Angular; he is powerful in this chart, a potent force not to be ignored.

I suspect that when you turned 9, or thereabouts (probably by age 8), there was an upheaval, or unexpected change, in your surroundings that caused you to become much more independent and self-reliant, to begin to chart your own path in life.

Does this chart then place the Venus-Mars pair in the First or the Twelfth? With early Virgo on the MC, my best guess is the First.

OK. Now you have something to base judgment on. Jupiter is well placed and trines the planets in Sagittarius... He is "well-disposed" and in mutual reception with Mars, a very friendly relationship. Not only are these two (and with the Sun three) fiery planets in fire signs, but also in the triad of houses originating at the Ascendant (Sun is in late 12th?...if this is so, this statement does not apply to him, but does to Mars and Jupiter. Also note that while Sun is in the unfavorable 12th, it is the natural house of Jupiter and Sun moves to his trine.), giving them a very comfortable positiioning. Mars in the First adds to the "power of action" I mentioned in the previous post; he will be the dominant figure in the conjunction. You have Sagittarius rising, and so the conjunction will express freely through the "personality."

Although I don't consider your 4 planets in Sagittarius to comprise a true Stellium* because only one, and not two or more, of the planets is other than Sun, Mercury or Venus, nevertheless this configuration added to the Sagittarius Ascendant makes this sign a predominant theme in your life and Jupiter is the lord of it all.

*A stellium is a gathering of 4 or more planets in one sign (or house). A true stellium has at least two planets that are not the Sun, or Venus, or Mercury (these three are always near each other). A stellium by sign is exceptionally powerful because it not only emphasizes triplicity but quadrature as well. Sagittarius is "Fire" and "Common." If your chart holds a planet in Gemini, that planet will be highly focused and of first importance in the chart. We understand that "powerful" means that a sign, or a planet, or other condition in a chart "influences, colors, determines the life" to an exceptional degree.

**Even if you already know what the word means, look up "determine" in your dictionary and study all the meanings carefully. Do the same with the word "dispose." The lord or ruler of a sign is also called the "dispositor" of planets or points in that sign. The lord disposes the planets under his rulership, and determines them in a certain direction. The planetary rulerships of the signs are extremely important in astrology, in fully understanding the "meaning" of the chart. Because Jupiter is the dispositor of the 4 planets in Sagittarius, as well as the Ascendant, he is the determinant "psychological energy", the underlying force and motivating power for these planets. Therefore, if you study Jupiter -- his sign, house, retrograde motion, aspects, mutual reception with Mars and so on -- and treat each factor first separately, and then combine and synthesize them, you will begin to see a portrait of yourself that you will easily recognize.

I just noticed what you said about intercepted sign, and am not sure I understand what is going on in this chart as far as house structure. Do you have a Leo MC?

Greybeard
06-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Hmm....I see now that you said "2nd House intercepted".

I just cast a rough chart for you and wonder how the sagittarius stellium can be intercepted in the 2nd house with uranus in the 10th and Jupiter in the 5th....For latitudes between San Diego, California and London, England, Uranus is 11th and Jupiter 6th using Placidus houses, each of them on the cusp.

Bertha
06-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Sorry if I have been unclear, Greybeard.

I am in Denmark. 1* Scorp asc, 15* Leo mc.