PDA

View Full Version : The Astrology of the Sensory System

Greybeard
09-09-2011, 06:32 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110908141443.htm

The above link leads to an article that says our brain holds and ties together all sensory information about an object, or class of objects. It specifically refers to the senses of sight and touch. But the implication, which can be corroborated by simply observing ourselves, is that all sensory impressions of any given object or set of circumstances are stored and integrated within the brain.

In other words, our brains collect all the information they can, whether physical or otherwise, about any set of circumstances we encounter and correlate it. We carry a sort of encyclopedia in our heads that can inform us, from any past experience, about the probable characteristics of a present one.

I see an apple. My brain tells me that apples come in colors from dark red to yellowish-white, are often streaked in color, have a certain typical size and form. I can see them on the tree, in the store, and even see the tree they grew on, and the weather on the day I noticed the apple tree, the mountains surrounding the valley where they were growing.

I can smell them, taste them, feel them, hear the crunch as I bite into them.

In astrology, Mercury is the general indicator of the physical perceptive senses. [We also possess more subtle senses, call them intuitive]. Mercury rules "translation" and it is this power of the planet that makes us able to "feel" an object and then, within our brain translate the "data" coming from, say, our fingers into useful and cogent "perception" as to the classification of the object.

But Mercury's ability to translate, or interpret, the data it receives from the nervous system relies on the memory, which is the realm of the Moon. The Moon rules all processes of absorption and assimilation, and memory is one of those processes.

Mercury is not just the lord of the perceptive functions of the nervous system. He also rules our rational mind. He is the symbolic mind, the power of abstraction that allows us to "see" one thing, and transform or transpose it into another. The word "door" is not a door at all; but if I say "door" to you, you see a door in your minds eye. The mind refers the word "door" to all its memories of a door, all conveniently filed under that key word, and conjures up the impressions of "door". A door, in my mind at least -- because of early experiences -- implies "privacy" or "inner sanctum". As we can see from this simple example, not all impressions come from our physical sensory system; some are "moral", intuitive, "understood". With memories come feelings, and feelings have great power over how we perceive anything.

A study of the Moon--Mercury relationship in a horoscope will tell us volumes about how a person perceives things, how they think, and what they are apt to do with the products of their thought.

Moggy
09-09-2011, 08:46 PM
And if there is no relationship between Mercury and Moon in one's horoscope?

Greybeard
09-09-2011, 09:33 PM
What, in this universe, is unrelated to everything else?

Greybeard
09-09-2011, 09:36 PM
We can, for example, look to see if, on the one hand, Mercury rises before or after the Sun -- while looking to see if the Moon is swift or slow in course. This gives us 4 possible combinations, each of which can be given significance in terms of the basic mental functioning of the native. A relationship through aspect, rulership, etc. is not required.

Greybeard
09-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Mercury's function is, for the most part, conscious. The proximity of its orbit to the Sun suggests a function closely directed by the Will. The Moon works largely unconsciously. The combination of the two powers constitutes "the mind" in the most general way.

Besides its sign and house positions, as well as the aspects it beholds and the condition of its lord and the houses it rules, we can examine other "conditions" of Mercury, in particular [this applies to any planet, of course] as highly significant in any appraisal of the character of the rational mind, perceptive senses, and other meanings of the planet. Does it rise before or after the Sun? Is it swift or slow of course? Is it direct or retrograde? Is it under the sunbeams or highly elongated?

Each of these conditions carries particular meaning in terms of mental function because Mercury rules this part of our being. By the time we have examined each particular condition and synthesized the several qualities they imply, we have a very good portrait of mental function.

We can do the same thing with Moon, and then see how one harmonizes or is dissonant with the other. That is what I mean by relationship.

My female dog is coming into heat right now. My male was sitting here by my feet enjoying being scratched behind the ears. The female walked into the room. He got up, abandoned his pleasure at being scratched, and went to attend the female. He is obeying instinctual, primitive drives (the Moon) which have controlled what his attention (perception) is turned toward. Our conscious mind is not so independent as we like to imagine. The Moon and Mercury have a relationship here, whether or not there is a clearly observable relationship in the chart.

Moggy
10-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Well done, Greybeard!

:icon_farao:

Avilucis
12-09-2011, 11:50 PM
That was an enjoyable read, and very helpful.

I've observed myself - here's my thoughts which are by no means conclusive.

I have Moon conj Mercury, Uranus, Venus.
If I watch myself, I can see that the conjunction of Moon and Mercury gives me a type of 'living in subconscious land' perception, I feel as if I can't really focus well because I have so much going on in my perceptions.
An example is at the supermarket, when I have to be concentrating on what I'm getting, I tend to naturally focus on all other things around me at the same time, I can feel people looking at me, and I have to deal with issues that get brought up with that, I end up stressed and hyperventilating.
Those planets are in Scorpio by the way, and having Pluto also prominant, you can see why I don't like to be looked at.

Conjunct Uranus, adding to the issue because I'm rebellious and don't like to be boxed in by anyone or 'captured'.
Another connection from Moon/Mercury with Uranus, is that freedom is a 'thing' with me, I often can't see the reality, I assume everyone desires freedom just like I do. I dislike captivity, to the point where I thought our guinea pigs needed some freedom so I let them go, thinking they will be so much happier, without realising that no, they don't want to be scared and lost and afraid and eaten by a cat. So I had to go and find them and put them back in their hutch.
Often this, along with my busy cluttered up perceptions, lead me to actions which are not always correct.

I've observed that when I am foccused on something, whether it be reading, or my thoughts, if someone interrupts me, or even if I interrupt myself, I get reaction - which can sometimes feel like Scorpio, like looking at things with 'death', or can be felt as a Mars like reaction which feels like anger, but comes along with other things like drive to do anything at all.
It's 'drive' which is Mars, that stimulation which inspires you to do something, but I feel it as anger.
I'm not sure why this is, but I wonder if it's Mars square Moon/Mercury.
This can be either very subtle, or very strong, depending on my state of awareness.
These things disturb me about myself, and I have reverted most of my life to living in a fantasy world to escape it because I don't want to hurt myself or others.
But you can't escape it lol

That's my observations on how my particular Moon/Mercury placements affect me.
I'm not sure where Venus fits in with all of that.

Avilucis
13-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Oh, ok, yes so Venus is the one that looks at all of that with shock and horror at something so ugly.
Poor Venus, I'm glad she's there though.