PDA

View Full Version : Handmade Tarot Deck

Celesia
05-09-2011, 05:12 PM
I've done tarot readings for many years, and I wonder; If I make my own deck (hand draw my own cards) will they still work? I don't see why they wouldn't, but I wonder if anyone else has their own tarot deck they made themselves that either work quite well, or not at all?

Silver
05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I've wanted to make my own, too because even though some come close to what I resonate with, none are just right for me. I don't see any reason for them not to work, I mean it's mostly intuitive, if not all intuitive that gives a 'good' reading.

arive nan
06-09-2011, 07:28 AM
The curriculum of the BOTA (an occult organisation) has their members paint their own decks as a way of learning the tarot.

I believe that as soon as an object is recognised by someone as a tarot card, it will become a tarot card and can be used for what tarot cards can be used for. I believe something similar happens with runes, scrying spheres, I-Ching, or any other divination method. When someone recognises the object as a tool for divination, and especially if the person believes it will work, then that is what the object becomes and it has the potential to work as a divination tool.

norseman
06-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Interesting, Arive. I have a collection of acorns for next year's planting. Maybe .......

arive nan
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
It would be interesting to experiment with it. Like, to see if an object behaves differently or feels different once it has a rune symbol or something written on it. I plan to try out something like this when I can.

nightowl
06-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I think it is a great idea, not only will your energy work through them but they will be an actually part of the deck. I made my own runes...it really is just like you being the artist instead of a stranger...intentions in the making as well as in the using...

nightowl

Silver
06-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Aren't runes like die? How do you make your own, nightowl?

nightowl
06-09-2011, 11:21 PM

Runes are usually made of smooth stones, so if you have a certain stone you like, or you can mix and match them...you paint symbols on them to represent certain things like success, heart matters things like that and make your own interpretation guide or card. It is good to look at some that are ready made to get an idea on how to proceed...maybe a good fit for you SG the way you love your stones might be powerful tool for you...:smile:

Lifesclues
10-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I've been making my own deck for years lol stop and start maybe I'll finish on day! But I believe its not the deck its your guides/angels/higher self that are picking the cards. What ever you intend each card to be how ever you see that card is what it is and when you use the deck the appropriate card will be drawn to answer your question in a way you will understand. (does that make sense?) I think the cards have wide meanings and I don't really think any interpretation is wrong I think your guides communicate to you using your understanding of what each card means to get the message through clearly to you.

Skye
10-09-2011, 11:54 AM

I hope you don't mind me butting in on this Silvergirl?

Wood can be used to make runes and apply symbols on them as nightowl suggested.

nightowl
10-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Yep your right Skye, wood is another possibility for rune making, some even use sticks...I knew that SG loves stones so I thought I would give her a nudge in that medium, stone instead of wood...:wink:

Silver
10-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Thanks for that suggestion skye (I've always loved that name for a person btw). Does a person make up their own symbols or are there standard ones I should use?

nightowl
10-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for that suggestion skye (I've always loved that name for a person btw). Does a person make up their own symbols or are there standard ones I should use?

Hey SG,
There are a number of sites on line that can guide you through the making of them, just pick the one that speaks to you...:smile:

Silver
10-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Hey SG,
There are a number of sites on line that can guide you through the making of them, just pick the one that speaks to you...:smile:

Heheh, silly me. A person forgets the net/google has everything :D

nightowl
10-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Heheh, silly me. A person forgets the net/google has everything :D

heheee...yeah, been there lol :D Let me know how it goes...

Skye
10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Silvergirl,

As nightowl has suggested, I too would use any symbol you are drawn to, or having had a look at a few others on the net, you could be creative and choose to paint your own and, work with the feelings you get whilst drawing them, until you become more confident with other thoughts that may just pop into your mind - as they likely will do when we use our intuition. Good luck :)

Silver
10-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks both of you. I tend to be creative and have been known to doodle away in my school while the teachers drone on, lol. I'll probably have my own or variations on regular ones. Umm, I just want to hear it from you guys...how many runes are in a 'set'? If you were making your own for the first time, how many would you make?

Skye
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
There's usually 24 in set, but I guess it depends on how many you want in your own set. You could start with a small number, say seven and use these to do yourself or even a friend a daily reading. This may give you good enough feedback for you to be encouraged to add more to your set. Go with the flow and you won't be too far out if at all.

Silver
10-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Ok thanks! For a beginner like me ~ I've only seen pictures of them on line and in books. I have no clue of how to start using them. Do they roll like dice? Do you pick them out of a hat or container? Sorry.

nightowl
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks both of you. I tend to be creative and have been known to doodle away in my school while the teachers drone on, lol. I'll probably have my own or variations on regular ones. Umm, I just want to hear it from you guys...how many runes are in a 'set'? If you were making your own for the first time, how many would you make?

Well I guess that would depend on if you do a set based on the Futhark alphabet, or use your own symbols. The average numbers I have seen are 24-25, this is usually what you get in a pre-made set. I have seen witches runes between 8-12 pieces. I prefer sets of twelve...

Here are a few sets that might inspire you...at least give you an idea of what they look like in stone and wood;

http://www.secondhand-souls-4occult.com/rune-stone-sets.html

Silver
10-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks once again to you both! I mean, for me to try and swim in a sea of info out there with no compass would be well, I wouldn't even try it and I intend to. I find Tarot decks to choose from way too much choice. So maybe something more tactile like runes would suit me better. We'll see! Having too much to choose from distracts me so, I don't even make a decision. I've gone to the local book store, bought maybe 3 different decks, but none really felt like 'mine'. I've done readings on two people that were really happy with them using the decks I had, so I know I have a spark of a knack for it...

Skye
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM
The set I had came in a velvet bag but any container would probably do, as long as you can shake them together _ like shuffling cards - before interpreting them. When you lay them in a spread or how ever you want to read them, again the choice is yours. I used to lay mine upside down so the symbols were hidden whilst I read each one. They are really similar to tarot cards in how you read with them, at least that what I discovered.

Silver
10-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Ok! That's very helpful, Skye. Gives me some food for thought.

nightowl
10-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I understand how all the choices can make ones head spin :icon_eek: Just use them as examples, pick or do what feels right for you...I preferred to make my own symbols as opposed to using the Futhark...if you are comfortable with the tarot symbols, maybe transfer that type of system to the runes you create, just a suggestion :smile:

Silver
10-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey thx nightowl ~ every little bit helps, it surely does~*

rainbowcrow
10-09-2011, 10:40 PM
I am really interested in making my own divination tools to use for intuitive readings too. I would love to find a set of symbols that really resonates with me - something earthy, perhaps Pagan or Native American. I thought about coming up with my own but I'm really not sure where to start. I will probably use bone, stone or wood. Any ideas would be great, especially in the symbol department.

Silver
10-09-2011, 10:57 PM
It wouldn't hurt to make one set using all of those, make it unique / special ~*

I'm thinking I'll make my set a set of 13, always loved that number, lol.

rainbowcrow
10-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeah Silvergirl that's what I was thinking - a combination of different symbols -it wouldn't be disrespectful or anything would it? Now I just need to come up with a list of appropriate words to trigger the intuition ie; love, growth, beginnings etc.... Actually, maybe that's all I need, a good list of words then I might be able to come up with my own symbols - I'm liking this idea more and more!!

Silver
10-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Yeah and you're helping me out, too. We could choose to use chinese word symbols and mix it with others that seem to rez or go along with them.

nightowl
10-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Yeah, you go! Y'all got it!

rainbowcrow
10-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Yes!! Kind of like a Universal symbology (Is that even a word lol!)!! Ok well perhaps we should start with some words that we want to use in our unique sets.....

Love (pretty obvious one lol!)
Growth
Change
Endings/Beginnings
Journey (?)
Health

your turn :D

Silver
11-09-2011, 12:47 AM
How about

plus the four elements (?)

and

north, south, east, west.

I think that makes 13, does that make sense?

rainbowcrow
11-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Hmmmm.....good idea and I was just wondering about numbers too, but maybe I'm getting too ahead of myself lol! I'd like to add some more symbols to my set - not sure how many yet but 27 has a good feel to me.

I'd like to add....

Wealth
Balance
Knowledge
Intuition
Harmony
Success/Happiness
Stagnation
Blockage
Loss
Creation
Inner Peace

Blah...maybe I'm getting too finicky :dontknow:

Silver
11-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Hmmmm.....good idea and I was just wondering about numbers too, but maybe I'm getting too ahead of myself lol! I'd like to add some more symbols to my set - not sure how many yet but 27 has a good feel to me.

I'd like to add....

Wealth
Balance
Knowledge
Intuition
Harmony
Success/Happiness
Stagnation
Blockage
Loss
Creation
Inner Peace

Blah...maybe I'm getting too finicky :dontknow:

I guess I'm one to boil things down ~more is less???

I think that stagnation and blockage are pretty the same; balance and harmony are the same to me, I'd use harmony; etc. etc.

rainbowcrow
11-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Yep you're right! One symbol can represent more than one aspect. What sort of material are you thinking of using for your set? I'm swinging towards stone (I really want to call them my "Spirit Stones") but I realise it won't be an easy task as I am hoping to carve the symbols with a dremel tool!

Silver
11-09-2011, 03:02 AM
It's sure cheap enough to buy a bag of riverstones...

I think I'll have to look around in Michael's Crafts store (planning on going there tomorrow anyway) and see what they have in the way of wooden cubes or even plaster, who knows! such a fun place to shop.

(Don't know what a dremel tool is...)

rainbowcrow
11-09-2011, 03:10 AM
I live in a rural area so I was thinking of collecting river stones from a nearby creek. This is going to be an interesting project! Promise that I get to be your first guinea pig for a reading :D - oh and you have to post a pic of your set ok?!

Right, now off to work on the symbol side of things! Good luck with yours - I can't wait to see the finished product!

Anyone else going to give this a go?!

nightowl
11-09-2011, 03:16 AM
It's sure cheap enough to buy a bag of riverstones...

I think I'll have to look around in Michael's Crafts store (planning on going there tomorrow anyway) and see what they have in the way of wooden cubes or even plaster, who knows! such a fun place to shop.

(Don't know what a dremel tool is...)

SG,

A dremel tool is a small hand held power tool that can be used to etch things in stone or medal, they have different head attachments like a drill.

Don't forget about paint pens they are easy to work with. I'm not sure plaster would be the best choice, doesn't it tend to be a little soft on the hardness scale??

rainbowcrow
11-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Thanks for answering that for me Nightowl :smile:

Silver
11-09-2011, 03:21 AM
SG,

A dremel tool is a small hand held power tool that can be used to etch things in stone or medal, they have different head attachments like a drill.

Don't forget about paint pens they are easy to work with. I'm not sure plaster would be the best choice, doesn't it tend to be a little soft on the hardness scale??

You could be right...beena long time since I did a 3d craft project. Maybe they have some other material ~ I'm wondering about a clear plastic/plexi or something???
The more unique the better, but if I lived near a river, wouldn't have to go buy stones in the 99 cent store, LOL.

nightowl
11-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Thanks for answering that for me Nightowl :smile:

Sure, hope I didn't but in...:wink:

Aquarian
11-09-2011, 06:20 AM
You could use an ordinary deck of cards, or even Top Trumps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Trumps). :wink:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18873

rainbowcrow
11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Sure, hope I didn't but in...:wink:

Of course not Nightowl :hug2:

I found some of my stones but I'm not sure that I am entirely happy with them - I didn't have a lot of time so hopefully I can get back down the creek and spend longer on my search - the hardest part is going to be getting similar shapes it seems. Why is there just never enough time to do all the things I want to do lol?!!

norseman
11-09-2011, 09:06 PM
:D You need to assess how much time should not be available for things you HAVE to do to make space for things you would LIKE to do. :D

rainbowcrow
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Oh yes!! I love that!! You are brilliant (as always!) Norse!! :hug2: :hug3: