PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Stars

Aquatic_Dragon
23-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Ive always heard from people that seeing shooting stars is a sign of good luck, the bad thing is i can honestly say ive never seen one in my entire life, whereas my girlfriend will see them all the time, she will say 'oh look a shooting star' and by the time i look up its gone.

I just wondered what the message behind seeing shooting stars are and also how often do you guys see them? And im also confused why ive never seen one before? :confused:

thunderseed
23-08-2011, 07:25 PM
October 7 - 8 the Draconid Meteor shower will be happening, unfortunately just the like the Persieds meteors a few weeks ago, the moon will be interfering again.
I don't know about any message, though i've heard that if you wish on one, your wish may come true!

Maybe you aren't seeing them because you aren't looking in the sky, at the right time, for long enough... Check out the Draconid shower coming up, there may be a chance you will see some despite the waxing gibbous moon.

You have a better chance at seeing a meteor if you stay up at night, in the country, and watch a meteor shower. Meteors happen all the time, just not as much, but better chance of seeing them during showers. Best time to watch them tends to be early in the morning, like around 3:00 am - 4:00 am, to 5, they just get more active later on in night.

Aquatic_Dragon
23-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Thank you thunderseed i will look up the draconid meteor shower and hopefully i will be able to see one for once :D

Greybeard
24-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Exercise extreme caution when looking for shooting stars. Sometimes the darned things come clear to the ground. Not a good idea to be standing where they impact.

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AVSW_enUS374US376&q=meteor+craters+in+the+united+states&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1339&bih=579

You can see some pictures of meteor craters at the site above. ("Shooting stars" are meteors falling through our atmosphere and burning due to its friction.)

If you really want to see the stars, there are two places I have been that have no equal on Earth. At Magdalena, New Mexico I have read a newspaper by starlight. No moon, just stars. The night sky is equally bright at Real del Catorce down in Mexico, not too far from Matehuala. It will take your breath away to see such a sky.

whitelotus
24-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Here in india people belive that if you see a shooting star and make a wish.it come true. i made a lot of them.. when i was a child....
but now forgot what it was.....and whether it came true or not....

Clover
29-11-2015, 03:05 AM
Shucks, saw a few tonight. Why not?
The sky is on fire!:color:

Exercise extreme caution when looking for shooting stars. Sometimes the darned things come clear to the ground. Not a good idea to be standing where they impact.

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AVSW_enUS374US376&q=meteor+craters+in+the+united+states&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1339&bih=579
:eek: :eek: