PDA

View Full Version : how do you choose your cards

willie
04-08-2011, 10:52 PM
when doing a tarot reading, my book says I should cut the deck 3 times and take the top 10 cards (for a celtic cross reading) but somehow this doesn't feel right...and since I find tarot involves a lot of instinct, I feel I may be doing this wrong. how do other readers choose their cards for the reading...if a card falls out of the deck while shuffling, do you keep it and does it become part of the reading? :dontknow:

MYFIGO
04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
The more I have done Tarot.. the more I realize how personal and intuitive it is. What I felt fit me was to shuffle until it feels right to me.

I use three different decks and do a 3 card reading each day. I am amazed at how many times the cards are "spot on". Each deck seems to have it's own personality.

If a card falls out of the deck, I feel it wasn't ready for a "clean cut" and will reshuffle a couple more times. When the deck is ready, the cards seem to only want to cut in one place.

I love how some readers don't need to rely on the book at all for the meanings, but instinctively know what the cards are saying. So all in all, trust your instincts.

Etu Malku
04-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I've created my own Spread after many years of doing others spreads and find it to be best for Me.

The people I know that are very involved with the Tarot end up creating their own cards also. (I have not, I use the Thoth Deck)

Silver
05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm very green at cards and yet I know I have a reasonable amount of intuition, etc., recently did a simple 3-card for a friend and the 3rd card 'peeked' at me ~ the color caught my eye very strongly, upper left corner, said ok, that's it. It was a 'downer' card but I thought no, now this is the one, wasn't going to send it to her, but she said all 3 cards I pulled were spot on for her and she's displaying them near her computer.

Docha
05-08-2011, 12:53 AM
I shuffle cut once and pull the cards

If one 'falls' out I set it aside for an extra message.

I have fanned out the deck and let the questioner pick their cards, face down. They flip them as they pull them and I tell them where to place the card, though I don't need them in any particular order myself, most like to see the actual spread.

I have pulled the first card, counted down the number that is on it for the next card, and done that for the whole spread with each card giving me a different number.

How you pull the cards doesn't matter. If you do what feels right you will get a more accurate read.

psychoslice
05-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Myself i don't follow the instructions, I just become one with the cards, and whatever I feel within to do with the cards, I just do, well that's my way anyhow.

Silver
05-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Ha ha, Robert! You probably like a good game of 52-pick-up~*

psychoslice
05-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Ha ha, Robert! You probably like a good game of 52-pick-up~*
He He, yes I probably would, I never have liked playing cards, except, fish, do you know that game ?.

Silver
05-08-2011, 02:17 AM
He He, yes I probably would, I never have liked playing cards, except, fish, do you know that game ?.

:fish: ? yes, I go :fish:

I'ma very cool http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-coolfish.gif