PDA

View Full Version : Comfort In Fantasy

BLAIR2BE
02-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Intuition, Imagination
And
Fantasy Logically Reasoned

Where do beliefs come from? From experience, from others’ experience, from texts, from intuition, from imagination. To me, intuition and imagination sometimes communicate. Personally, I enjoy fiction; specifically probable fiction: Orson Wells, George Orwell, Aurther C. Clark, to name a rudimentary few; fiction, but with intuition and probability. That is what makes this type of fiction enjoyable. The probability of it makes the stories exciting and adventurous, but not necessarily true.

It is quite easy to interpret intuition and imagination into experience, truth and reason. But this creates a false reality based upon ego. Probability is possibility, not evidence and truth. The mind can and will take intuition and imagination and create a very real world around them. The logical brain can interpret probability into belief. There is something natural and comforting in having belief. Enough so that fantasy can easily be perceived as reality; the mind can spend much energy picking apart fantasies, to confirm enough bits of reason as to claim it logical and therefore true. The mind is a natural trickster.

Does the brain’s duty of reason and logic turn intuition and imagination into truth? Does truth change so easily for the whims of man? Or does man naturally create a comfortable fantasy to live within; a false reality that can cope with the intricacies of personality and insecurity? How powerful is the need for comfort and control? How powerful is ego?

Ease is the vice of humankind. Responsibility is readily forfeited for the cause of ease and comfort. Does this natural tendency reflect in spiritual quest? Of course. What has come easily and without effort in your life? What has come through perseverance and courage? Which do you value more? It would be wise to examine our beliefs and discover where they came from.

“The real is always ahead of what we can imagine”
Paul Auster

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it”
Ursula K. Le Guin

“Imagination will carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.”
Carl Sagan

“Reality does not conform to the ideal, but confirms it.”
Gustave Flaubert

“I accept the universe”
Margaret Fuller

Mother Goose
03-11-2006, 01:14 AM
It's funny to me that you posted this tonight, Blair. On another board that I'm on we were discussing the idea of reincarnation in regards to other species...not of earth. And how we would react to knowing we were actually from another planet in another life.

“Imagination will carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.”
Carl Sagan
This particular quote strikes me 'wrong' because I have a sneaking suspicion that our 'imagination' has soooo much to do with other worlds...one's we're consciously unaware of. But they may be memories from another life...which would explain to me why we find comfort in fantasy. :smile:

BLAIR2BE
03-11-2006, 01:21 AM
very interesting perspective mothergoose.

Mother Goose
03-11-2006, 01:35 AM
lol...does that mean you don't agree? *giggles* that's fine, Blair...I know I get some odd ideas from time to time...I don't normally share them though. hehehe

BLAIR2BE
03-11-2006, 01:45 AM
actually, i need some time to consider this. this is a strong idea, with many variables..........

Mother Goose
03-11-2006, 01:54 AM
ah, okay....that's understandable. i've been thinking about it for quite some time; I didn't stop to think you might need to mull it over a bit.

Mother Goose
03-11-2006, 04:22 AM
here's a link for you to check out, Blair:
http://www.paoweb.com/starwhat.htm

"Star-seeds" describe evolved beings from another planet, star system or galaxy, whose specific missions are to assist Planet Earth and her peoples to bring in the Golden Age at the turn of the millennium.

rofl....I had to edit the quote and put the hyphen in there because the obscenity blocker thingy didn't like those middle letters arranged that way. hehehehe

oh..and here's a site with a list of character traits....if you write down your answers (yes/no) as you go...at the end it'll give you some insight into whether or not you might be a st****ed. <---seeeee what I mean LOL
http://semjasebluestar.tripod.com/id6.html