PDA

View Full Version : can i do it?

cluckt
20-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Hello, Isit possible to learn the gift, and become a medium? I often feel the presence of someone or something and find myself saying out loud 'please dont let me see you' i know this probably sounds silly, but as much as i like to hear from other mediums that my family are well and safe, im really frightend of seeing them myself, but then again im also curious as to if we could all learn the gift? xxxx

Merlin6
20-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Cluckt,
From my own experience, I believe that just about everyone is born with a certain degree of talent in this field. Due to lack of use, or being told 'don't talk about that stuff' when young, you tend to lose the ability to 'tune in' as it were.
However, it is said by some that it is similar to using the muscles of the body. If you don't use and develop them, they atrophy and become useless. If you exercise them, and this applies to the mind as well, you can redevelop the ability to use your given talent as you wish.
Some people are highly developed spiritually, and have a natural aptitude for being psychic. Most people have premonitions and dreams, or Deja Vou, etc. while others never turn their minds to those pursuits.
It is possible to learn 'the gift'. I did, to a degree, but what I have has enlightened me.
Good luck

Regards
Merlin6

münchen444
20-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes it is possible to become a medium, but I‘ve found that the majority who set out to become one do not like it, in the end, for various reasons.

Like Merlin6 stated, I also believe each human being has these abilities within them. For most (who lost touch with these abilities over time), it’s a matter of “re-learning,” honing, and balancing them. I also believe Merlin6 is correct in stating that if one doesn’t actively use and learn about these abilities, they atrophy. This has, in the very least, been my personal experience, as well.

I would say, cluckt, that if you are really frightened of experiencing spirit or dealing with spirits, you would be wise to stay back from it all and channel your curiosity into reading about it, researching it and talking with others who work in the paranormal (mediums, parapsychologists, etc.) until you come to a more firm decision that this is really something you want to do, yourself. If you decide you would, I’d recommend baby steps. Even calling up a local and respectable paranormal group and asking them if you could join them on a non-client-based investigation (most paranormal groups have a cemetery or other such non-inhabited place they do trial and training investigations/equipment testing at). There is no need to jump in with both feet and, indeed, I don’t recommend doing so.

I personally abhor the term “gift” in relation to this. It is what it is, for me, and it hasn‘t always been good. I advise anyone actively thinking about pursuing such to give it a great amount of soul-searching, research and investigation. Most people get more than they bargained for and I have, absolutely, found that those who have been dealing with such experiences since childhood (and who have actively been learning and maturing with it over the years) have fared much better, over-all, in dealing with it all.

That is not to say that someone beginning to reacquaint themselves with such abilities at the age of 80 will not fare well with it. They may well might. A lot of this has to do with one’s general spiritual awareness, psychological/emotional maturity, education (spending time learning from other mediums, parapsychologists, etc.), actual hands-on experiences, integrating it all into one’s life, etc. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Science, for example, being learned either via book study (college-based, specifically) and/or through parapsychologists (scientists who study the paranormal) has fared me just as well as spiritual theories in learning to balance and rationally study and try to understand all of this (which I believe is imperative to keeping a healthy balance).

You also need to learn protective methods. This is the absolute FIRST thing you do before going into it. Prayer, visualization, etc. All mediums have their own ways and good mediums will gladly work with you to help you hone your own. Never go into a paranormal situation without spiritual protection. This is one of the most common and perilous mistakes new mediums make, I've found.

Being a medium is an on-going life process. The reason is because we change, we grow, we go in different directions all as human beings living an earthly life. Well, the abilities change as we do and in their own ways, too. It’s often like a game of “catching up” with one another, in that way.

Also, once one begins to integrate it in, it can take on a life of its own. This is why I warn people to really soul-search, investigate and research into all of this before deciding to reacquaint with these abilities. Many regret doing it after finding themselves unprepared for the Pandora’s Box of “stuff” these abilities unleash and, indeed, the types of not-so-good "stuff" that will find and latch onto one. If one is not balanced, protected, and knowledgeable within it all, it can become disastrous.

I don’t mean to come across as negative about all of this. I just find that most don't realize the depth of all that is involved with this and I wanted to share a little about how far this type of work actually goes. It can be a really wonderful thing, at times, though, particularly when you can see the smile and look of relief on someone's face that you've been able to help.

My best to you.

eyesee
20-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi cluckt,

I don't have a whole lot to add to what Merlin6 and Munchen444 said, I think they have given you good information.

I know that I became interested in mediumship whilst practicing tarot readings on another site and began to work on developing this skill with a professional medium who offered her knowledge for free at that time.

I was enjoying the process and progressing as I kept it up, but when a tragedy struck my family, I fell away from this and sort of closed myself off for a while.

I know that I have called this a "gift", because others seem to feel comfortable with that term, but I have to say that I feel more along the lines of Munchen444 on this. It is not always a gift, but sometimes a burden. Take your time to read, continue to ask others who have had some experience and then see if this is what you want.

Meanwhile, practicing your intuitive/psychic senses in other ways will help to keep those "muscles" toned!

Best wishes and blessings,
eyesee:wink:

Merlin6
21-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Munchen444 and eyesee,

After I posted my comments, I realized I had hardly scratched the surface of what cluckt needs to know in order to continue and be safe.
You have both filled in so much that I had left out and I heartily agree with your comments and encouragement to cluckt.
My compliments

Regards
Merlin6

SunMist
21-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Also, once one begins to integrate it in, it can take on a life of its own. This is why I warn people to really soul-search, investigate and research into all of this before deciding to reacquaint with these abilities. Many regret doing it after finding themselves unprepared for the Pandora’s Box of “stuff” these abilities unleash and, indeed, the types of not-so-good "stuff" that will find and latch onto one. If one is not balanced, protected, and knowledgeable within it all, it can become disastrous.

I've been reading Allison Dubois' book Don't Kiss Them Goodbye and in it she talks about how mediums have issues with empathy. Do you believe that empaths or others who have different flavors of psychism are also undeveloped mediums? Is it all one package in the end?

SunMist
21-03-2011, 02:54 AM
To Cluckt, I have a couple of times felt unwelcome presences and I order them to leave in the name of God. Seems to work so you could try that if you get scared. I've only ever seen one full apparition and that was when I was a child and was a welcome sight. Now that I'm an adult and stuck in my ways though I would freak out!

münchen444
21-03-2011, 03:55 AM
SunMist,

I’ve never read that book. What types of issues with empathy does she discuss?

I think all human beings are natural empaths and mediums. Though, for most, it appears to be a dormant or ignored aspect.

For those actively dealing with “different flavors of psychism” (very nice way to put it, by the way), I think that these various “flavors” work-off and react to each other at various levels/are inter-dependent. Mediumship, developed or not, included.

It helps me to look at it as a machine full of various parts all integral to the operation of the whole (all one package, yes). And while most mediums have specialties (be it any of the clairs; preference to certain cases: missing persons, haunted residences; etc.), a truly responsible one, I believe, keeps all levels in check and is mindful of the “input” of each during a case. A machine can break down if even one bolt falls off or if it isn‘t oiled properly. So too the machine can break down or catch fire if its limits are not respected and it’s over-worked.

I’m not sure how it is for other mediums but I have extreme issues with clairempathy becoming overwhelming in my life, in general. However, personally, I think it really helped me give my best within my mediumship work, though it was a struggle keeping a balance with it all.

tragblack
21-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Isit possible to... become a medium?

Yes.

I often feel the presence of someone or something and find myself saying out loud 'please dont let me see you' i know this probably sounds silly, but as much as i like to hear from other mediums that my family are well and safe, im really frightend of seeing them myself...

I get this way too!

For those actively dealing with “different flavors of psychism” (very nice way to put it, by the way), I think that these various “flavors” work-off and react to each other at various levels/are inter-dependent. Mediumship, developed or not, included.

With patience and attention, I've been able to start honing in on these various "flavors" and using them better.

SunMist
21-03-2011, 07:53 AM
I’ve never read that book. What types of issues with empathy does she discuss?
She only talks about it for a few pages, but she says that she physically feels the illness that killed someone if she is in contact with their spirit as well as feeling illness symptoms if standing next to a living person who is sick. She talks about how she can now tell when she connects with a spirit if they died of cancer not only because of what they tell her but a feeling in her body too.

I think all human beings are natural empaths and mediums. Though, for most, it appears to be a dormant or ignored aspect.

Glad you like it! The inter-dependence makes sense to me.

It helps me to look at it as a machine full of various parts all integral to the operation of the whole (all one package, yes). And while most mediums have specialties (be it any of the clairs; preference to certain cases: missing persons, haunted residences; etc.), a truly responsible one, I believe, keeps all levels in check and is mindful of the “input” of each during a case. A machine can break down if even one bolt falls off or if it isn‘t oiled properly. So too the machine can break down or catch fire if its limits are not respected and it’s over-worked.

I’m not sure how it is for other mediums but I have extreme issues with clairempathy becoming overwhelming in my life, in general. However, personally, I think it really helped me give my best within my mediumship work, though it was a struggle keeping a balance with it all.

Interesting...I like the machine analogy. I think for me and many other empaths I've read about the part of the machine responsible for regulating the amount of input seems on the fritz. Just looked up your term clairempathy and I like that term better to describe what I experience - empath often gets confused with regular empathy. It is quite a challenge to deal with!

SunMist
21-03-2011, 08:12 AM
One more empath aside...I find a nifty web page with a link to some great books, two I've not read yet, on clairempathy http://psychicbloggers.com/archives/957

münchen444
21-03-2011, 03:50 PM
SunMist,

I see what she means by issues with empathy, now. Thank you for explaining. I’ve had that, too, while investigating crime scenes. Particularly with rapes, suicides, and/or certain homicide victims (homicides via asphyxiation seem to be one of the worst for mediums to “re-experience,“ over all). Airplane crash sites, however, are the worst for me.

Clairempathy is a more specific term, yes, for psychic empathy. I was happy to have found it, myself, when I did. I’ll often still use the more widely-known term “empathy” for my everyday, garden-variety empathy or when I'm around people who aren't much into spiritual topics. But it is nice to have an easy-to-use term to use to describe the more specific nature of psychic empathy in places where one knows it would be understood and accepted.

stephen_gateshead
25-03-2011, 12:46 PM
I a, 90% sure i am or have the mediumship abilities and have been told i have "the gift" buy other mediums and tarot card readers but i am looking for an outsiders point of view.
this is a little insight to what has been going on with me, if anyone can elaborate on this and give me their view i would be most grateful.
why i am getting in touch with you is this.... I have always been interested in the spirit and the paranormal, when i was younger i was getting these, what i call night terrors and still continue to do so on the odd occasion but didnt realise that in the past, people have linked them to the spirit and the paranormal....
as i got older, i came to find out that my uncle was getting messages from the spirit for people in the living world, which made me think, "was this my link to where i am now"?
i took up tarot reading when i was 23 and am still learning them now and have had only one reading by a spiritualist. on this day that the spiritualist came to my house, i was very anxious and worried what i might find out..... it was all good. This spiritualist told me that i have a psychic connection and ever since then i have been recieving messages from the spirit for people i have been doing tarot readings for and people i know. their has been 4 different spirits which have used me as a channel to their nearest and dearest, one in paricular is a 6 year old girl named jaqueline who is my partners grand-parents little girl who unfortunately passed over before birth. the spirtualist i mentioned before, told me that she latches on to me because she knows i can hear her, she also likes my, sometimes childish (in a good way) behaviour. I also see alot of shadow people and beings, one which i had a bad experience with about 1 week ago but i choose not to talk or think about it..... prior to all of the above happening, i got a message for one of my friends while he was with me, i couldn't control my self in just totally changing the subject, out of the blue, to tell him this meesage from a passed relative. i didnt realise that it was a message from spirit at that time because i didnt know a thing about the spirit or the paranormal.
the reason i have getting in contact, is to see if any of my experiences are a positive sign of mediumship and psychic abilities?
Look forward to hear back from you folk

Merlin6
29-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Your abilities sound about par for the course to me Stephen, as far as mediumship and psychic abilities are concerned.

My wife used to use the cards until she worked out she was reading people and getting messages without them. Some clients need to see the cards though, as it reinforces their belief of what they are getting, but in the final analysis you don't need them.

Obviously you have to use discression with what you give out, but for the most part just give what you get.

The more you use it the better you become at it.

Regards
Merlin6

Sunshinelady
11-04-2011, 08:44 AM
with patience and dedication, we can learn to reawaken and strengthen our mediumistic abilities.

Westleigh
14-04-2011, 09:12 PM
We are all spiritual beings, so of course we are all able to communicate with spirit. But the physical environment around us is not conductive to our spiritual abilities, and most people root themselves so firmly in their physical existence that they lose connection with that aspect of themselves.

I am a good example of someone who had no spiritual or psychic experiences for most of their life, but developed them later by choice. So far as I am concerned mediumship is a skill that can be learned to whatever extent you are comfortable with it; I learned to communicate with spirits because my first experiences with them awakened such great passion in me. There are incredible things to be said for a life lived close to spirit, but it must be observed that there are severe downsides to it too. Genuine mediumistic ability comes with a warning label attached! Most people around you will not understand you or the way you see the world (some to the extent that they think you are crazy, a liar, or both) and as your understanding of and connection with the spirit world grows, it becomes more and more difficult to identify with many aspects of our physical world. And once you've developed it you can't really turn it off! I am always aware that my guides and other spirits are with me and I find that pleasant and cheerfully chat with them, but I think many people would find such a lack of privacy disturbing.

I would echo the advice that if you feel afraid when you think of connecting with spirits, you are not ready to do it. Work on that fear first, because - at least in my opinion - only when you can do spirit work in a relaxed state are you ready for spirit work. Most people who think they are interested in mediumship find that what they really want is to dabble in it; they might reach a certain point and then either consciously or subconsciously put the brakes on because they reach a point at which they are no longer comfortable going further, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It takes a certain kind of person to be comfortable leading a life in communciation with spirits, just as it takes a certain kind of person to have the daredevil attitude to bungee jump as a hobby or to have the commitment to be a concert pianist.

Good luck in whatever you choose. :hug3: