PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Advaita / Non-duality

Uday_Advaita
24-01-2019, 06:53 AM
Definition of Advaita / Non-duality

It is futile to define ADVAITA / Non-duality. How can you define the Souce which is transcendental to everything physical.

As the Chines sages say “Tao that can be spoken of, is not the TAO.

Yet I am making an attempt

“Advaita is neither Nothing,
And nothing like Anything,
Includes and permeates Everything,
But is not Something.”

Welcome your thoughts

Moondance
24-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Definition of Advaita / Non-duality

It is futile to define ADVAITA / Non-duality. How can you define the Souce which is transcendental to everything physical.

As the Chines sages say “Tao that can be spoken of, is not the TAO.

Yet I am making an attempt

“Advaita is neither Nothing,
And nothing like Anything,
Includes and permeates Everything,
But is not Something.”

Welcome your thoughts

I’m not an advaitin so I prefer to avoid that term*. But nonduality (small n) without the trappings; the metaphysical add-ons, the religious dogma etc., is simply a kind of shift in perception (or perhaps initially, a glimpse) where (putting this as plainly as possible) there is a sense (along the lines) that there is no separate you (as an abiding entity) moving about in life - instead Life itself is the movement. When I first had this shift nearly twenty years ago I crudely scribbled down ‘no thing exists… only everything exists’. That’s still quite a potent way of putting it. But of course, this is not something that can be grasped by the analytical mind, it’s a shift, a realisation, a felt-sense.

*Yes, advaita literally translates as non-duality. But the word advaita is (obviously) most strongly associated with the school of Hindu philosophy and religious practice known as Advaita Vedanta. Nonduality in its purest sense transcends any sort of religious framework.

iamthat
24-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Yes, it is futile. The mind tries to define things because defining things gives the illusion of understanding.

Simply abide in the Self. Then there is no need for definitions.

Peace.

Unseeking Seeker
24-01-2019, 06:01 PM
An attempt ...

That which pours out Itself without leavening Itself
That which is in you, energises you and yet not you or affected by you
Love - Magnetism

Miss Hepburn
25-01-2019, 03:08 PM
'Simply abide in the Self.'

Those words can be nebulous. They were to Michael Langford so he
wrote a book to help people :
"The Most Direct Means To Eternal Bliss"

I thought this group drawn to this topic would love it!
I do. :thumbsup: It's all about the One, Pure Awareness and how to realize it...my words.
It's really for advanced, serious people, not for the faint of heart. Ha!