Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2016, 01:16 AM
Clear Blue Sky Clear Blue Sky is offline
Guide
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 542
 
Book of Job

I am reading through the Book of Job in an English Translation Bible. I understand that it may have originated from a story written in Ugaritic text, and that some say the Hebrew language used in it is 'intricate' in that many places it could be interpreted several different ways.

I was wondering if any here familiar with the Hebrew scripture could highlight any significant areas where the Hebrew understanding of Job differs from English bible translations. Or significant areas considering the range of possible meaning of the Hebrew text.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Moon_Glow Moon_Glow is offline
Master
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Over the river and through the woods...
Posts: 2,422
  Moon_Glow's Avatar
Hi Clear Blue Sky - My grandfather was a theological translator for the Brazilian Bible Society and the American Bible society.

He was able to read and write in many languages and translated both the old and new testament from the traditional Hebrew to English, Portuguese, Spanish and many other languages.

My grandfather was kick out of the American Bible society because they felt his translation of the word "virgin" as relating to Mary in the New Testament was incorrect. The word "virgin" translated in the ancient Hebrew to "young girl" and that did not sit well with the American Bible Society.

I know that you are writing in regards to the book of Job but this thread caught my eye and I figured I would share my experience.

Just to put it out there my moms family is Jewish so I do have an understanding of Judaism as well ( I hate when people comment when they don't know where I coming from)
__________________
"We have no right to ask when sorrow comes 'Why did this happen to me?' unless we ask the same question for every joy that comes our way."

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2016, 01:53 AM
Clear Blue Sky Clear Blue Sky is offline
Guide
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 542
 
Moon Glow, thanks for responding.

Your grandfather may feel vindicated. I have come across a number of commentators and translators admitting that the 'virgin' translates to 'young woman.' Also the bible I use sometimes says that things can have two meanings.... like a statement of Job that could read to support either bodily resurrection or disembodied afterlife.... which is why it is good to check with the "source" so the two groups keep each other from changing things too much after thousands of years. :)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2016, 01:30 PM
AHIYAH AHIYAH is offline
Master
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 1,230
  AHIYAH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Blue Sky
Moon Glow, thanks for responding.

Your grandfather may feel vindicated. I have come across a number of commentators and translators admitting that the 'virgin' translates to 'young woman.' Also the bible I use sometimes says that things can have two meanings.... like a statement of Job that could read to support either bodily resurrection or disembodied afterlife.... which is why it is good to check with the "source" so the two groups keep each other from changing things too much after thousands of years. :)
One must put all the facts on the table. Fact one Job wished he could've recorded his words Job 19:23 so the question remains " who wrote the book of Job. It's commonly accepted that Job supposedly happened around the time of the Torah and some believe Moses wrote it, one must ask why it isn't included in the Torah. In any case Job 26:7 shows Hebrew poetry. It's basically when two ideas are related. This isn't the case all the time. If one could identify the use of "Northern Skies over empty space" and how it relates to the Earth being suspended over nothing you'd see it is talking about the Northern Kingdom. The northern kingdom being scattered into all the Earth.refer to the Hebrew word Tohu mentioned in B'reisheet/Genesis to get a better pic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Clear Blue Sky Clear Blue Sky is offline
Guide
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 542
 
Thank you for revisiting this thread. It was a thing I did before bad troubles and tribulations of my own began..... (helped me brace for them lol).

My belief is that the Job we have was written from a clever Hebrew poet, seems to have lots of intricate meanings, puns, symbolism of a master Hebrew linguist.... and also that this Hebrew literary wonder was an adaptation from an older Ugarritic text of a Babylonian story.

I had a long study of it but the moderators put it into the 'my space' section because no one else responded to it.

One thing I saw was that Behemoth was reference to Job, and Leviathan was reference to God. (Job 40 and 41).

of Leviathan his underside is jaggd patshards leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing sledge -- similar to how cuneiform was written by pressing marks into clay.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2016, 07:59 AM
AHIYAH AHIYAH is offline
Master
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 1,230
  AHIYAH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Blue Sky
Thank you for revisiting this thread. It was a thing I did before bad troubles and tribulations of my own began..... (helped me brace for them lol).

My belief is that the Job we have was written from a clever Hebrew poet, seems to have lots of intricate meanings, puns, symbolism of a master Hebrew linguist.... and also that this Hebrew literary wonder was an adaptation from an older Ugarritic text of a Babylonian story.

I had a long study of it but the moderators put it into the 'my space' section because no one else responded to it.

One thing I saw was that Behemoth was reference to Job, and Leviathan was reference to God. (Job 40 and 41).

of Leviathan his underside is jaggd patshards leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing sledge -- similar to how cuneiform was written by pressing marks into clay.
Interesting, i would say that these beasts are either extinct or are allegorical beasts, i mean the bibles mention other beasts with six wings, eyes looking in every direction etc. i prefer to take them as allegorical beasts.I really wished it would've started from the other end of the book. We could look into this Satan character which just means Adversary and why is he/she allowed to present his/herself with the sons of God. Maybe because the Satan/Adversary is a son of God. One must wonder why there are two names missing in the line up of the Tribes of Yaakubah mentioned in the book of revelations. I can almost(that's ALMOST) guarantee that when ever you come to the line up of the tribes of Yaakubah why there are names missing and keep an eye on the order of the names in which they appear in any given line up. You may or may not be aware of this and I'm only pointing them out. Since we have already come to this Behemoth have a look at Job 40:15
15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
"I made with thee" maybe thats the enemy within. and "he eateth grass as an Ox" the word eateth is in the feminine. I'm just pointing things out. Remember Nebuchadrezer? Same thing happened to him. I don't know if that relates and it probably does. I can't say much else atm.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2016, 03:56 AM
Clear Blue Sky Clear Blue Sky is offline
Guide
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 542
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHIYAH
Interesting, i would say that these beasts are either extinct or are allegorical beasts, i mean the bibles mention other beasts with six wings, eyes looking in every direction etc. i prefer to take them as allegorical beasts.I really wished it would've started from the other end of the book. We could look into this Satan character which just means Adversary and why is he/she allowed to present his/herself with the sons of God. Maybe because the Satan/Adversary is a son of God. One must wonder why there are two names missing in the line up of the Tribes of Yaakubah mentioned in the book of revelations. I can almost(that's ALMOST) guarantee that when ever you come to the line up of the tribes of Yaakubah why there are names missing and keep an eye on the order of the names in which they appear in any given line up. You may or may not be aware of this and I'm only pointing them out. Since we have already come to this Behemoth have a look at Job 40:15
15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
"I made with thee" maybe thats the enemy within. and "he eateth grass as an Ox" the word eateth is in the feminine. I'm just pointing things out. Remember Nebuchadrezer? Same thing happened to him. I don't know if that relates and it probably does. I can't say much else atm.


Yeah, Nebuchadrezer 7 years passing over eating grass like the ox, his back drenched with the dew of heaven until he learned that God is the God of all.... very Job like. One of Job's lines when he talked about 'wild people' in the wasteland who ate wild herbs and whom Job 'disdained to put with his sheepdogs'. like the fate of Nebuchadnezzar. the mystic William Blake did artwork panels of Job and his daughters. One of the last is of them all reconciled and happy, lounging around with the sheepdogs :)

the behemoth was stubborn. the turmoils raged against his mouth, like Job's friends and their chaos of philosophies raged against Job's words -- indeed they insult his mouth and call babbling words torrents etc in the discourse. Behemoth -- made along with Job. Stubborn and upright like Job... and yet his maker can touch him (like God can touch Job). Placid resolved and untroubled despite the trouble.

then of Leviathan it is spoken how he cannot ever be tamed or controlled or defined or harnessed -- like God's indominatable ways and will. of course the ancients knew of God through the stories of God... stories pressed into the mud of cuneiform tablets. I think also maybe a lot of the Leviathan imagery is similar to other Babylonian Baal war god imagery.

I don't doubt that the writer was inspired by some actual living animal.... but with not much travel and no photographs in those days... heck in the middle ages they assumed whales had ears, and the unicorn was invented from the description probably of a rhino.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14-08-2016, 09:54 AM
AHIYAH AHIYAH is offline
Master
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 1,230
  AHIYAH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear Blue Sky
Yeah, Nebuchadrezer 7 years passing over eating grass like the ox, his back drenched with the dew of heaven until he learned that God is the God of all.... very Job like. One of Job's lines when he talked about 'wild people' in the wasteland who ate wild herbs and whom Job 'disdained to put with his sheepdogs'. like the fate of Nebuchadnezzar. the mystic William Blake did artwork panels of Job and his daughters. One of the last is of them all reconciled and happy, lounging around with the sheepdogs :)

the behemoth was stubborn. the turmoils raged against his mouth, like Job's friends and their chaos of philosophies raged against Job's words -- indeed they insult his mouth and call babbling words torrents etc in the discourse. Behemoth -- made along with Job. Stubborn and upright like Job... and yet his maker can touch him (like God can touch Job). Placid resolved and untroubled despite the trouble.

then of Leviathan it is spoken how he cannot ever be tamed or controlled or defined or harnessed -- like God's indominatable ways and will. of course the ancients knew of God through the stories of God... stories pressed into the mud of cuneiform tablets. I think also maybe a lot of the Leviathan imagery is similar to other Babylonian Baal war god imagery.

I don't doubt that the writer was inspired by some actual living animal.... but with not much travel and no photographs in those days... heck in the middle ages they assumed whales had ears, and the unicorn was invented from the description probably of a rhino.
What I am admiring here is your persistence and imo its good persistence. With everything it has to pass my stringent yeah nah process which is why I put all the info I have against it and then I will treat it as if it was true. In saying that I believe there was an ancient school of thought that even if someone added texts to a certain collection of books classed as scripture the wise people could also use them to tell of the original story. So at this moment I will hear for words,concepts,idioms etc before I comment. So far you're opening my eyes to possible and agreeable outcomes. Be blessed my bro/sis and please continue thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Clear Blue Sky Clear Blue Sky is offline
Guide
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 542
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHIYAH
What I am admiring here is your persistence and imo its good persistence. With everything it has to pass my stringent yeah nah process which is why I put all the info I have against it and then I will treat it as if it was true. In saying that I believe there was an ancient school of thought that even if someone added texts to a certain collection of books classed as scripture the wise people could also use them to tell of the original story. So at this moment I will hear for words,concepts,idioms etc before I comment. So far you're opening my eyes to possible and agreeable outcomes. Be blessed my bro/sis and please continue thanks.


You're most welcome. If you're interested, here is the entire 'diary' of my contemplative experience reading through the book of Job. Sometimes with an occasional real-life synchronistic interface. ;-)

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=96114
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16-08-2016, 06:18 AM
AHIYAH AHIYAH is offline
Master
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 1,230
  AHIYAH's Avatar
I got to the first part and I've come back with some things to think about. Now the reason why I went into Moses possibly being the writer of this book is when such words like Sacrifice comes into use. Since this book is widely accepted as being written about the time of the Torah you'd have to wonder what feast these people are celebrating and what the sacrifices were for according to the Torah. Another thing is the Cohen that performs these sacrifices there's no mention of them being present. Consider this when stating this was Job's custom.
.
Day 1) Chapter 1. We see Job as a wealthy and great man, with his sons and daughters often feasting together. "When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would send and have them purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, "Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts." This was Job's regular custom.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums