Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:06 PM
e-ma

Antidepressants and Spiritual Development

Hi Guys,

I was just reading in another thread about medication and antidepressants blocking up your energy system. That's really hit the spot for me because I'm going through a difficult period at the moment and don't really know what to do for the best.

I've recently started taking antidepressants and am soon to be starting anxiety medication too. It was a last resort, after almost a year of trying to heal myself naturally. It feels like such a relief to finally feel normal again - I can't describe how good it feels to have a normal day at work, without breaking down or crying or having surges of rage and frustration. I have started talking to people again, and thinking normal earth-bound thoughts.

However, the back of my mind is telling me that medication is wrong. It says that surely, if God has intended me to be depressed, then surely it is my job to sort out the problem and learn the lesson that was intended for me. I feel that medication could just be masking a deeper problem, that will eventually resurface, either sooner or later, or perhaps on another plain.

Obviously, I want to develop spiritually in this lifetime, and feel that the right thing to do is face my demons and evolve. If the taking of medication is just a temporary cover-up that is doing nothing more than having a cosmetic effect on my life, then I would consider stopping it and plunging back into hell. However, I can't help thinking if maybe my mental illness is just the same as a broken leg, and that medicine is a good thing.

A big factor in me taking the antidepressants was the effect I was having on my family. I was having a negative impact on everyone around me, kept screaming at my mum, and have said things that I have never even thought could come from my mind. It just kept getting worse, and further out of control.. so medication seemed right, to at least minimise the stress for those around me.

Many thanks for listening..
Old 11-08-2006, 10:09 PM
kundalini

Hi lonelytraveller,

I believe it was me who said that drugs, tablets etc. block up the energy system. From your words in the 'psychedelic' thread you seem to have had similar experiences with regards to 'drugs' as me.

Now, although I got myself off drugs, I next hit the bottle. Not really consciously either. I was just doing 'my' thing. That is the only way I can describe it.

I also took antidepressants. I took them for quite some time and quit the booze but in the back of my mind I knew that I didn't want to rely on drugs for stability of my thoughts. So, do you know what I did?

I come off them.

You have to KNOW you are strong and you have to KNOW you never ever give up! I cannot say anything more than this except to say that my life really did start to get better at that time.

My only advice to you is if you CAN KNOW that you KNOW you are strong enough and you CAN KNOW that you KNOW you can do it, then go for it!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:42 PM
AZCowGirl

Lightbulb Disconnection with Source...

Symptoms are viewed as the result of a deeper disturbance or imbalance of the person, as a whole, symptoms being an outward manifestation of the disturbance.

Disease results from blocking the flow of life, and symptoms are the body's way of dealing with the blockage. Symptoms are not the disease; they merely accompany the disease. Symptoms are evidence of disease. Treating symptoms is like killing the messenger for bringing bad news. In fact, by only treating symptoms, you are suppressing the body's natural response and inhibiting the healing process.

Excess stress is the pathway to disease. The stress can come from many sources, such as toxicity, trauma, pathogens, mental factors, perverse energy, allergies, heredity, habits, deficiency syndrome, etc. As the stress continues, the disease progresses. A Hungarian doctor, Dr. Hans Selye, showed the world a proper medicine based on stress reduction and stress control. He showed the negative effects of stress on the body.

Each cell in our body operates at certain frequencies. Our cells network together, to keep our body in harmony. Stress produces erratic vibrations that lead to disharmony, followed by injury and disease.

Intend to feel really really good each and everyday...Ask to be guided to what will assist you in your reconnection with Source...Love yourself...
Appreciate yourself...look in the mirror and say "I LOVE YOU"
Old 12-08-2006, 08:25 AM
e-ma

Wow, thanks - Kundalini, it was your quote from another thread, and yeah, it's amazing, I do think that we've had pretty similar experiences. I know what you're saying about 'knowing' you can get better without drugs. I think at the moment I 'know' that I am out of energy, and that I need some help. That's the only reason I caved in and took to medication. I think at our core, we already probably know the answers. Maybe I need help for a few months, and then I will go it alone again. This thread really helped, because yesterday I was in the midst of despair, imagining being dependent on meds for the rest of my life. Now I'm thinking that might not be so.

AZCowGirl, yeah, I know what you're saying. I was in a chronic state of stress for years, and didn't listen to the needs of my body, mind or soul. I had a stupid high-pressure job and took stimulants for years to try and keep on top of everything. I always knew that I would crumble in the end. All of my cells were becoming sicker, and sicker. I am now on that road to healing, and am learning to listen to myself for the first time. Maybe by blocking out the messenger (by taking antidepressant drugs) I won't be so attuned to what's going on inside. I guess I feel that I need a break from the messenger for a while! But I know what you mean, I will carry on with all of my other healing stuff (Reiki, relaxation, healthy living, etc) and hopefully it won't be for long.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Sandy

Lonely Traveller,

The prescription meds will cause you big problems, if not now then later, so hopefully you will only use them short term. Please avoid benzos - valium, librium etc. if you can. I only recently found out just how dangerous these are (recently started work in a rehab D & A) especially valium. There is proper help out there, don't be dismayed! Go to [email protected] and read through the archives where you will see what EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) can be used for. Just about everything. Physical stuff as well. Learning EFT (it's easy) will be one of the greatest treasures you will ever come across. You can download the manual for free, disks are availlable to watch it on film also. I would recommend though, that you find a qualified practitioner (there will be one in your area) and together you can work through what is making you unhappy and resolve it. I won't go on about it too much here, but will say this. It works. Love & Light to you.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
lumas

our body is the vehicle we use on this earthplane like a car if you put in the wrong fuel or bodge up the bodywork and engine to get a few more miles out of it the car will eventually fall apart on you. Having said that sometimes a vehicle will just give up and will need some work done to get it running sweet again.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
e-ma

Thanks Sandy. I have friends who use a lot of Valium. Luckily I don't. The anti-anxiety medication that I was considering is buspirone, which is less potent / habit forming I think. That said, I might give it a miss altogether. The antidepressants are doing a good job at the moment. I have been on them for 6 weeks and hope it won't be for the long haul. I appreciate your message, and would be interested to try the EFT.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:30 PM
whatsimigig

i used antidepressents for 2 years and they helped me get my life back on track and it was then that i thought i dont need them anymore and quit them.
i now use meditation as a stress relief but in my opinion i think antidepressents are ok for a while just to help you get back on track and then come off them.
x
Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM
kundalini

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsimigig
i used antidepressents for 2 years and they helped me get my life back on track and it was then that i thought i dont need them anymore and quit them.
i now use meditation as a stress relief but in my opinion i think antidepressents are ok for a while just to help you get back on track and then come off them.
x

I agree with whatsimigig, the use of antidepressants I think is perfectly fine if you are in a state of recovery from something but I believe long-term reliance on them should be avoided.

People on antidepressants should give it a lot of thought as to whether they feel they can live without them and if they feel they can and also 'know' they can, then they should give it a go.
Closed Thread