Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Soulmates & Twin Flames

View Poll Results: What are twin flames exactly?
Romantic feelings mixed with mythology 10 14.71%
Two souls that were cut in half and have to unite again 25 36.76%
Different name for soul mates (people you bonded with in a past life) 6 8.82%
Other.. 27 39.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Chrysaetos Chrysaetos is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,110
  Chrysaetos's Avatar
Hi Anima,

But after you had your experience you searched about it, and you found out about the twin flame concept.. am I right?

Terminology is important, there are so many twin flame threads (also on the 'old' forum) and it's hard to tell what people actually mean when they use it.

I'm surprised to see most voters so far go for the soul cutting. I hope they realized that I made a mistake (two souls cut in half means four 'souls' coming into existence), and I meant 'one soul cut in half', unfortunately I can't edit the poll.

If the soul is cut in half.. do you have any idea why it would be cut in half? I once read that it is part of a learning lesson ('to be separate'), however it didn't explain why such a spiritual surgery would be needed to begin with..

I am very open to the idea of soul mates, and I (like to) believe we meet loved ones that we knew in the past life..

Last edited by Chrysaetos : 01-11-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 PM
muireannrose muireannrose is offline
Knower
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK/Cyprus.
Posts: 124
  muireannrose's Avatar
I voted other simply because I don't feel that I relate to any of the options.

I don't think that twin souls are souls cut in half...I like the idea of the soul being whole and complete as I believe you have everything you will ever need to feel complete.

I guess I just refer to it as a connection of the soul, whatever form that may take. :)
__________________
'humankind has not woven the web of life. we are but one thread within it. whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. all things are bound together. all things connect.'
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
LadyImpreza1111
Posts: n/a
 
What are twin flames exactly?
At the dawn of creation, we started out as one ray of energy. However that ray was split into both feminine and masculine aspects. These aspects are twin souls (AKA twin rays or twin flames.) Each aspect incarnated over and over again over the span of multiple lifetimes to gain human experience. Often times when they meet, it is often traumatic and/or short-lived but they say that they reunite on their last lifetime on this earth, so that they can ascend when that lifetime is over. This isn't like conventional relationships where you get together and play house and everything is all wine and roses. They are brought together for the good of humanity and they have a purpose-whether it is together or apart.

Do you believe they are two souls that have a special strong bond (continuing from a past life)? This is quite similar to the idea of soul mates, people you have bonded with strongly and you meet them again..

Yup. It is an extremely intense connection--more intense than that of soulmates but like soulmates, you have some past-life history.

Do you believe twin flames were one soul that was cut in half, and now they have accepted the ''Search for my twin and unite again'' quest? Do you believe this to be the main goal of life?

Yes. I believe they are one soul cut in half. That is why you hear people say "They are the guy/girl version of me, there are tons of similarities and their lives have many parallels. However, I believe your task in this lifetime (if you are meant to unite with your twin) is to become whole within yourself, healed and focus on your own growth both PRIOR and upon meeting twin. If you seek out your twin expecting them to complete you, that goes against the purpose of the bond, its the ego and the ego will derail the relationship before it can ever get off the ground. No one searches for their twin. If the twin is meant to come into your life, they will when they are destined to and not a moment before.

Or do you believe (like me) that twin flames are just romantic feelings mixed with western spirituality? I mean, it's mostly western women who talk about twin flames.
Not even. The love you feel for your twin was predestined and only upon connected with them is it brought to the surface. The person is not someone you "choose." Rather, the connection chooses YOU--that is, if you are spiritually evolved enough. Those who have found their twin flame have one thing in common--they are all "old souls." And that means that they are more spiritually evolved thus they have the capacity for unconditional love and that is necessary in a twin flame relationship. Its not just "western women" that talk about this. There are men on this forum too.

Old mythology mixed with romantic feelings = new mythology?
How come it's (mostly) western spiritual women who believe in twin flames..? It looks to be more a cultural then a universal idea.

I think this is more a matter of opinion. Its not a cultural thing because twin soul love disregards racial/cultural barriers.

I believe the human mind is extremely powerful, and if we want to believe our loved one is our twin flame, then we can strongly believe it, to the point where we accept it as an unquestionable reality.

Also a matter of opinion. Once you've met a soulmate and then a twin flame, there is a HUGE difference and if someone wanted to believe just anyone was a twin flame, then those who find themselves in the midst of a soul connection with one would be able to move on and get over theirs. Its not that easy. Its permanent and even if you go a lifetime without ever seeing yours again after getting in touch with them, most can't get over theirs. And unless you have met your twin flame, you can't even FATHOM the depths of the emotions that arise upon meeting them. Anytime you have ever thought you might have "loved" someone prior to meeting yours doesn't even scratch the surface for what you feel for a twin soul. It is POWERFUL.


Of course.. I could be wrong. I have no idea. But if we are eternal spiritual beings that have lived many physical lives, why would there be a special one? Isn't it all very relative?

We might have many people we might be compatible with but we only have ONE that is our divine complement. Sometimes they incarnate the same time we do, sometimes they are "guardian angels" on the "other side."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Chrysaetos Chrysaetos is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,110
  Chrysaetos's Avatar
Thank you LadyImprezza for your thoughts.

Lady wrote: ''At the dawn of creation, we started out as one ray of energy. However that ray was split into both feminine and masculine aspects. These aspects are twin souls (AKA twin rays or twin flames.) Each aspect incarnated over and over again over the span of multiple lifetimes to gain human experience. Often times when they meet, it is often traumatic and/or short-lived but they say that they reunite on their last lifetime on this earth, so that they can ascend when that lifetime is over. This isn't like conventional relationships where you get together and play house and everything is all wine and roses. They are brought together for the good of humanity and they have a purpose-whether it is together or apart.''

The dawn of creation? What was there before?
Two aspects that are 'one', yet have traumatic experiences. That sounds cruel to me, just like the idea of the split. Why was this ''ray of energy'' split in two aspects? (what's your source for this information?)

Lady wrote: ''Yes. I believe they are one soul cut in half. That is why you hear people say "They are the guy/girl version of me, there are tons of similarities and their lives have many parallels.''

''That is why..'' Perhaps there could be another explanation. There will always be people around that look like us physically, emotionally and mentally. Since the twin flame concept is not widely accepted and only few believe in it, these experiences of meeting that 'special one' could be coincidental.

Lady wrote: ''Those who have found their twin flame have one thing in common--they are all "old souls."''

What's an ''old soul''?

Lady wrote: ''I think this is more a matter of opinion. Its not a cultural thing because twin soul love disregards racial/cultural barriers.''

Sounds like a western and social Christian idea, where all humans are one and race is unimportant. It does relate to culture. And still it's mostly western women who believe in it. Why isn't there evidence of rainforest shaman, Inuit, or Taoists believing in it? We can find out about their beliefs, but so far I haven't found anything about twin flames.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 PM
LadyImpreza1111
Posts: n/a
 

The dawn of creation? What was there before?
Two aspects that are 'one', yet have traumatic experiences. That sounds cruel to me, just like the idea of the split. Why was this ''ray of energy'' split in two aspects? (what's your source for this information?)

I've read this in multiple articles. I guess there are people out there who always want to prove/disprove anything related to metaphysics or even religion if it isn't something they believe in. All I know is that what I've experienced is real. Definitely not something I've manufactured myself. My imagination was never this good.
And when I say "traumatic" what I am referring to is that those who have found their twin go through a roller coaster of emotions. We don't just feel our emotions. We feel theirs too. And when our emotions go to them and then come back to us, they are magnified. Be it good or bad. Thats probably where the term "twin flame/soul came from. Because just like identical twins come from one egg split in two, twin souls come from one soul split in two and the bond is just like that of identical twins-Telepathic and empathic.



''That is why..'' Perhaps there could be another explanation. There will always be people around that look like us physically, emotionally and mentally. Since the twin flame concept is not widely accepted and only few believe in it, these experiences of meeting that 'special one' could be coincidental.

Few believe in it because few experience it. I don't remember where the heck it was I read it, but I read somewhere that mayb 2% of the global population has experienced this. That could explain why few "believe" in it.

What's an ''old soul''?

An old soul is one soul that has incarnated multiple times and has learned the many lessons they are meant to learn. Think of each lifetime as a grade in school. Younger souls start out in kindergarten and each lifetime gives you so many karmic lessons you have to learn. If your lifetime ends and you didn't learn what you were meant to learn, that lesson carries over into the next lifetime and in that case, its like you "repeat" the grade. Older souls are those who are nearing "graduation." And they are closer to leaving this earth, without needing to return again. You can tell the difference between an older soul and a younger one. Younger ones are more focused on money or status. Alot of the way they live is ego-driven. Older souls are more focused on careers or jobs that might not be as financially lucrative, but they help other people.Older souls are more compassionate, and many have psychic gifts(I have abilities too though I'd say the visions I get are very sporadic.) and in my opinion, they probably just look at the world and life in general differently.


Sounds like a western and social Christian idea, where all humans are one and race is unimportant. It does relate to culture. And still it's mostly western women who believe in it. Why isn't there evidence of rainforest shaman, Inuit, or Taoists believing in it? We can find out about their beliefs, but so far I haven't found anything about twin flames.

I don't know what you mean by "western." Are you referring to the U.S.? Because I've talked to people both on this forum AND other websites from different countries worldwide who have experienced this phenomenon.
If you look at religious figures like H.H. the Dalai Lama, and maybe even historical figures like Mother Theresa.........some of those are called Botsivattas (and I'm sure I spelled that wrong because I almost always do.) They are the rare souls that have reached high levels of enlightenment and THOSE people incarnate with both souls within. And in that case, they don't experience earthly desires therefore they don't feel the need to seek love.

I USED to be Christian but I actually walked away from religion this year because it doesn't match my beliefs about what happens when this life is over.My twin is Catholic. With the twin flame belief, there is alot of focus on reincarnation and in Christianity, they teach people that when you die, you go to heaven or hell. Not reincarnate. So I'm pretty sure Christianity would go against the grain of the whole Twin soul phenomenon.
I happen to live in Alaska but I don't make a point of asking Inuits what their beliefs are because everyone is different and I hardly talk about it to even people I see on a daily basis because the bottom line is, if they haven't experienced it, they don't understand. So there is no way I'm going to seek out people I don't even know just to see what they believe. Just because you don't always find shamans, Inuits, etc. that believe in it, that doesn't mean they don't. It just means you probably haven't spoken to enough to get enough opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-11-2010, 01:07 AM
7luminaries 7luminaries is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,221
  7luminaries's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Thank you LadyImprezza for your thoughts.

Lady wrote: ''At the dawn of creation, we started out as one ray of energy. However that ray was split into both feminine and masculine aspects. These aspects are twin souls (AKA twin rays or twin flames.) Each aspect incarnated over and over again over the span of multiple lifetimes to gain human experience. Often times when they meet, it is often traumatic and/or short-lived but they say that they reunite on their last lifetime on this earth, so that they can ascend when that lifetime is over. This isn't like conventional relationships where you get together and play house and everything is all wine and roses. They are brought together for the good of humanity and they have a purpose-whether it is together or apart.''

The dawn of creation? What was there before?
Two aspects that are 'one', yet have traumatic experiences. That sounds cruel to me, just like the idea of the split. Why was this ''ray of energy'' split in two aspects? (what's your source for this information?)

Lady wrote: ''Yes. I believe they are one soul cut in half. That is why you hear people say "They are the guy/girl version of me, there are tons of similarities and their lives have many parallels.''

''That is why..'' Perhaps there could be another explanation. There will always be people around that look like us physically, emotionally and mentally. Since the twin flame concept is not widely accepted and only few believe in it, these experiences of meeting that 'special one' could be coincidental.

Lady wrote: ''Those who have found their twin flame have one thing in common--they are all "old souls."''

What's an ''old soul''?

Lady wrote: ''I think this is more a matter of opinion. Its not a cultural thing because twin soul love disregards racial/cultural barriers.''

Sounds like a western and social Christian idea, where all humans are one and race is unimportant. It does relate to culture. And still it's mostly western women who believe in it. Why isn't there evidence of rainforest shaman, Inuit, or Taoists believing in it? We can find out about their beliefs, but so far I haven't found anything about twin flames.

Cheers.

Chrys, lighten up a bit mate, LOL...I will say as Kaere alluded to, there are multiple references to the concept of a greater soul, comprised of masculine and feminine, being split into two complete souls which are nonetheless bonded throughout the ages. The Vedic texts reference the concept extensively, as do mystical Islamic (Sufi) and Jewish texts (i.e., the Zohar). This same concept underlies Taoism, a philosophy or worldview considered foundational in the East. You can also find it in Hermetic texts from ancient Near East and Egypt, from which we see the later Greek variant which was mentioned earlier.

Now...having said that, I never gave it any thought aside from a passing awareness at the philosophical level, more in the sense of balance, as in the logical extension we see in much of Taoist philosophy. I in no way had a full understanding of the concept, and I didn't know what it was commonly "named". And I had no idea that there were many who'd experienced what I had. Nor did I go seeking it out for quite some time.

People generally just want to live in denial for a while, then they want to understand, and when they can't understand (LOL), then they just want to know they're not mad. At least that describes me pretty well...

Anyway Lady's post was generally spot on. Including the metaphysical description, though mystical texts describe an "adam kadmon" of both male and female, later split into two complete souls which are bonded to one other.

We all just need to keep an open mind abt things we haven't experienced for ourselves.

Cheers!
7L
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Rah nam Rah nam is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,841
  Rah nam's Avatar
From what I know, and learned, souls can have multiple extensions, and the amount will vary depending on the soul.
Can those extensions meet?
They can. My mother and a great cousin of mine (the daughter of my cousin) are part of the same soul. They have meet once or twice, not sure if there was a particular recognition. But then, there are many ways to set up a life time, depending what the intended outcome might be.
The soul, having a romantic relationship with itself? Not sure what could be accomplished by it.
It would be much easier to unit energetically outside of this reality, and with greater rewards.
Only if we over emphasize the physical, can we come to the conclusion, a physical union of two aspects of the same soul could be of any importance.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Chrysaetos Chrysaetos is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,110
  Chrysaetos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyImpreza1111

I've read this in multiple articles. I guess there are people out there who always want to prove/disprove anything related to metaphysics or even religion if it isn't something they believe in. All I know is that what I've experienced is real. Definitely not something I've manufactured myself. My imagination was never this good.
And when I say "traumatic" what I am referring to is that those who have found their twin go through a roller coaster of emotions. We don't just feel our emotions. We feel theirs too. And when our emotions go to them and then come back to us, they are magnified. Be it good or bad. Thats probably where the term "twin flame/soul came from. Because just like identical twins come from one egg split in two, twin souls come from one soul split in two and the bond is just like that of identical twins-Telepathic and empathic.
Hi,

I'm not here about proving or disproving stuff. I want to know why people believe in the twin flame concept, and I want to look at it from different angles. It would be boring if we would just accept every belief out there. You state it like twin flames are a fact (last sentence above), should it go unchallenged?
Quote:
Few believe in it because few experience it. I don't remember where the heck it was I read it, but I read somewhere that mayb 2% of the global population has experienced this. That could explain why few "believe" in it.
Possibly.
Quote:
An old soul is one soul that has incarnated multiple times and has learned the many lessons they are meant to learn. Think of each lifetime as a grade in school. Younger souls start out in kindergarten and each lifetime gives you so many karmic lessons you have to learn. If your lifetime ends and you didn't learn what you were meant to learn, that lesson carries over into the next lifetime and in that case, its like you "repeat" the grade. Older souls are those who are nearing "graduation." And they are closer to leaving this earth, without needing to return again.
But why is a soul meant to learn lessons? Again, you state all of the above as if it's a fact. Learning lessons, incarnating, graduating. It's very linear and I read it everywhere. However, never is there any explanation for this 'progress'. It's just belief.
Quote:
You can tell the difference between an older soul and a younger one. Younger ones are more focused on money or status. Alot of the way they live is ego-driven. Older souls are more focused on careers or jobs that might not be as financially lucrative, but they help other people.Older souls are more compassionate, and many have psychic gifts(I have abilities too though I'd say the visions I get are very sporadic.) and in my opinion, they probably just look at the world and life in general differently.
Sounds all nice and well (bit politically leftist though), but what you're basically saying here is that old souls are all goodness and pureness, and younger souls are egoistic. What makes a soul 'young' or 'old'? Don't you think a linear view on ''soul's progress'' is shaped by matter and time?
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "western." Are you referring to the U.S.? Because I've talked to people both on this forum AND other websites from different countries worldwide who have experienced this phenomenon.
The west is the economically developed world. In the west, the most popular forms of spirituality are Christianity and New Age beliefs (mostly a mix of theosophy and Hinduism). I have not seen a rainforest shaman, Inuit or Jain talk about twin flames. I can find out about many of their beliefs, but nothing about twin flames.
Quote:
If you look at religious figures like H.H. the Dalai Lama, and maybe even historical figures like Mother Theresa.........some of those are called Botsivattas (and I'm sure I spelled that wrong because I almost always do.) They are the rare souls that have reached high levels of enlightenment and THOSE people incarnate with both souls within. And in that case, they don't experience earthly desires therefore they don't feel the need to seek love.

In Theravada Buddhism, Bodhisattva is the enlightened Buddha. In Mahayana Buddhism, Bodhisattva is one who aims for enlightenment. There is enlightenment or not, not ''high levels of enlightenment'', and I have found no information about these bodhisattva's having ''both souls''. In fact, Buddhism denies the existence of the soul. Of course they experience earthly desires (look at Siddharta Gautama himself), but they want to give it up because it only brings temporary pleasure and happiness.
Quote:
I USED to be Christian but I actually walked away from religion this year because it doesn't match my beliefs about what happens when this life is over.My twin is Catholic. With the twin flame belief, there is alot of focus on reincarnation and in Christianity, they teach people that when you die, you go to heaven or hell. Not reincarnate. So I'm pretty sure Christianity would go against the grain of the whole Twin soul phenomenon.

I used to be a Christian as well, but that doesn't mean that I gave up all Christian beliefs and concepts. You can't just drop every belief cold turkey. What I meant was that many Christians believe in one human race under one God. You said twin flames go beyond racial differences, this is a modern idea (which I support) but was not usual in the ancient world. I'm not saying Christianity preaches the twin flame phenomenon, but it can be compatible with Christian way of thinking.
Quote:
I happen to live in Alaska but I don't make a point of asking Inuits what their beliefs are because everyone is different and I hardly talk about it to even people I see on a daily basis because the bottom line is, if they haven't experienced it, they don't understand. So there is no way I'm going to seek out people I don't even know just to see what they believe. Just because you don't always find shamans, Inuits, etc. that believe in it, that doesn't mean they don't. It just means you probably haven't spoken to enough to get enough opinions.
Point taken. The fact remains that I can find out about many beliefs of communities and cultures all around the world, but so far I have found the twin flame concept (just as Indigos, Crystals etc.) are very popular among western women, and beyond that there's little to be heard about it.
I am not saying you are wrong, or I am right. I'm sceptical and I want to find out why people believe stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Chrysaetos Chrysaetos is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,110
  Chrysaetos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Chrys, lighten up a bit mate, LOL...I will say as Kaere alluded to, there are multiple references to the concept of a greater soul, comprised of masculine and feminine, being split into two complete souls which are nonetheless bonded throughout the ages. The Vedic texts reference the concept extensively, as do mystical Islamic (Sufi) and Jewish texts (i.e., the Zohar). This same concept underlies Taoism, a philosophy or worldview considered foundational in the East. You can also find it in Hermetic texts from ancient Near East and Egypt, from which we see the later Greek variant which was mentioned earlier.
''The Vedic texts reference the concept extensively''

Please point me out which of the Vedas speak about twin flames being ''split into two complete souls.'' Where can I find this?
I'd like to see ancient sources that speak about the twin flame concept. New interpretations and additions of 20th century spiritualists won't do, as they are influenced by their own time and cultural beliefs. The Zohar speaks about different parts of the human soul, but not about twin flames, or a split. Besides that, the 'parts' of the human soul as described in the Kabbalah and Zohar relate also to earthly qualities like instincts and morals. Quite different from the idea of an independent, non-physical soul most of us believe in.
Quote:
Anyway Lady's post was generally spot on. Including the metaphysical description, though mystical texts describe an "adam kadmon" of both male and female, later split into two complete souls which are bonded to one other.
Which ''mystical texts''?
Quote:
We all just need to keep an open mind abt things we haven't experienced for ourselves.
Which is why we discuss it.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Falling Star Falling Star is offline
Ascender
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Eastbourne England
Posts: 822
  Falling Star's Avatar
To my way of thinking....And experience, Twinflames have not been allowed to recognise each other in any previous incarnation prior to this one. So it is all very confusing. The only way to understand it is through acceptance, this will eventually bring understanding. It is an experience of the soul, an awakening of the soul if you like. It cannot be understood by logic.....only by the heart.

__________________
*ONLY LOVE IS REAL*

*We find the path of wisdom....along the trail of tears*

*Your vision will become clear only when YOU look into YOUR heart. who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside AWAKENS*- Carl Jung
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums