Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 16-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Time

NDE are more then likely Lucid Dreams

The article is pretty self explanitory

http://news.yahoo.com/near-death-exp...161001473.html
Old 16-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Eudaimonist

This is important research. Thanks for sharing the article.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 16-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Experiencer
Because an experience correlates to a particular brain state doesn't mean it is CAUSED by a particular brain state. I experience a particular brain state when I see a red rose. That doesn't make the rose a mere produce of my imagination.
Old 16-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Eudaimonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Keith
Because an experience correlates to a particular brain state doesn't mean it is CAUSED by a particular brain state. I experience a particular brain state when I see a red rose. That doesn't make the rose a mere produce of my imagination.

Correlation in this case weakens the case for supernaturally caused NDEs considerably, even if it doesn't completely prove that NDEs are lucid dreams.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 16-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Experiencer
I don't actually think so.

In the first place, the research indicated that the participants were basically conditioned to incubate a particular experience - one that is all too much a part of most people's expectations at this point. On the other hand, the thing that was striking about Raymond Moody's original work - long before people had heard of light and tunnels - was that the experiences had so many common elements across demographic lines, and weren't really what the people who reported them were expecting.

Secondly, one not uncommon feature of NDE's is the perception of things that would not have been visible or perceptable to the person in their physical body. There are a number of examples collected here: http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research11.html

In one of the cases mentioned (Pam Reynolds) the body had been chilled to about 60 degrees and all blood drained from the head (for brain surgery) , leaving the brain basically flat-lined. Yet pam's experience included detailed recollections of the surgery and some of the unique tools used.
Old 16-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Keith
I don't actually think so.

In the first place, the research indicated that the participants were basically conditioned to incubate a particular experience - one that is all too much a part of most people's expectations at this point. On the other hand, the thing that was striking about Raymond Moody's original work - long before people had heard of light and tunnels - was that the experiences had so many common elements across demographic lines, and weren't really what the people who reported them were expecting.

Just like people who have NDE have experienced through culture?
Old 19-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Time

bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Master
If you read many personal accounts of lucid dreams and many NDE true stories you'll find very little similarity.

Xan

Old 20-03-2012, 04:16 AM
contentest

The conclusions sound kind of ridiculous. Am I misinterpreting the article? It sounds like they are saying that the fact that I can experience a certain scenario in a lucid dream, indicates that every experience of that scenario is also lucid dreaming?

I once talked to my grandmother in a lucid dream, ergo I have never talked to her in real life?