Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 13-09-2011, 10:32 PM
johnatre

Why is this author bad to follow?

I have only one wicca book and its the ultimate book of shadows by raven silverwolf, but everyone says she is very bad to read but most of what ive read in this book seems pretty legit? Help?
Old 13-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Terracotta

If her writing rings true with you, then make your own judgments about her work and her guidance. If I recall my old days among Paganism and Wicca correctly, she's sometimes looked down on because she's believed to be far too fluffy - that is, too childish, far-fetched, or cutesy to be accurate or useful.
Old 13-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Pathfinder
I'll probablly catch heat for this, but personally I like Ravenwolf's works. Now this could be because she was one of the first authors I read when I started, but I do like them (have 3 of her books).
Old 14-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatre
I have only one wicca book and its the ultimate book of shadows by raven silverwolf, but everyone says she is very bad to read but most of what ive read in this book seems pretty legit? Help?
She's generally looked at with disdain by serious pagans and Wiccans because she encourages teenagers to lie to their parents, she's rather hateful when it comes to Christianity (and makes it out like any witch should share her feelings), and she tends to make things up, or exaggerate greatly.

She's just not the best author to begin with; because it's hard to start out in a religion to begin with - and even harder when you get misinformation about it all, because you'll simply have to revisit your knowledge when you learn better. There's many other beginner-friendly authors that are much more praised for the most part - but one must keep in mind that there's a lot of shoddy "101" books (my personal theory is that they're called 101 books because they usually cost about a $1.01 and you get what you pay for ), always use critical thinking and fact checking when you read any book, sadly, especially with Wiccan/neo-pagan mass-market books.
Old 14-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Master
My top choice is ALWAYS going to be Hutton or Wilby, respected academics with books that are peer reviewed. Just a side-thought - if you wanted a book on American culture, would you go with an American writer or someone from another country ? If you want a book on wicca, go back to the source ! You need to be very selective. There is so much garbage written about wicca/witchcraft by people with dubious names/titles.
And, of course, there is so much that is not written and never will be. There are paths which can only be gained by experience and being immersed in them.
Old 14-09-2011, 07:30 AM
mattie

Broad Overview

It is often useful to read various authors on any subject to get an overview that is more than a single author can provide.
Old 14-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie
It is often useful to read various authors on any subject to get an overview that is more than a single author can provide.

True ! - providing you check, check, and double-check the background and credentials of the author first.

To those starting out, look in here as a stepping-off point
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/index.htm
Old 14-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Master
Yes use your own mind, never follow anyone, read what they have to say, take only what you want to use as your tools, then come to your own conclusions, if you don't you will always be a second-hand product.
Old 14-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Lostgirl

I agree use your own mind and make your own descisions - if you like her and what she says speaks to you then go with it if not then find something else. I personally found her fluffy and patronising but im not wiccan which might be why :)
Old 14-09-2011, 11:52 AM
mattie

Evaluating Info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
True ! - providing you check, check, and double-check the background and credentials of the author first.

We should always use our discernment even when the author has the requisite background & creds. Even the best authors who are 99% Spot On can be off base about that pesky 1%!!