Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 17-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Kenneth

What it means to be a Spiritual person

Philosophy was derived from the Greek word “philosophia” which means "love of wisdom". Since then people have coined the name "philosophy" to express views on the wisdom of various aspects of human living like politics, religious views, etc.

But the word "spirituality" is much much higher. Philosophy is subjective. Spirituality is beyond Ego or personal views. It is not a subject of just mankind. It encompasses the whole of life - man, women, our soul, animals, the earth, the sun, the planets and all other things that we are yet to know and the numerous ways in which each interact with the other, controlled by that Vast wholeness or GOD.

So, what it means to be a spiritual person? I would like to get views on the subject before I give my views.
Old 17-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Master
I don't see myself as a spiritual person, I see myself as a natural person, one who simply lives naturally, one who goes with the flow of life. I was once interested in philosophy until I found out that it was just mind games, minds trying to out do each other.
Old 17-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Simon Karlos

Fish

Hi brother, I really enjoyed your post in the Christianity Forum and responded with my thanks. Glad to meet you here. I will state here with deep appreciation that "being a spiritual person," in terms of being AWARE that one is a spiritual being, is exemplified in the example that you are sharing here, seeing all of creation as emcompassed in Divine Wholeness, and gracefully sharing this message.
Old 17-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth

So, what it means to be a spiritual person? I would like to get views on the subject before I give my views.
Hi Kenneth
Welcome to the community first up :) ...

I am unsure how to explain what it means to be a spiritual person .. I feel we are all spiritual by our very nature. I sense my spiritual nature when I act from a place of kindness and love and compassion. It is then that i can truly feel/experience my spiritual self being revealed. Alternatively when I act from a place of selfishness and intolerance and 'dont give a damn' then spirituality seems like the furthest thing from my heart and my experience and, ultimately, generates fear and self loathing and feelings of 'being' insincere and 'disconnected' ...
Old 17-04-2011, 01:02 PM
breath

The Answer to this question depends entirely on what the 'spirit' is and if you believe in it.

I'm what most would call spiritual, but I don't even believe in the spirit - it's not a part of the lessons I've learnt. Nor do I believe in God as the creator of the universe, or that there is a sentient 'spirit' at the top creating everything below it. I don't even believe in divinite
some other words with very similar meanings according to thesaurus.com are

airy, asomatous, devotional, discarnate, disembodied, divine, ethereal, extramundane, ghostly, holy, immaterial, incorporeal, intangible, metaphysical, nonmaterial, nonphysical, platonic, pure, rarefied, refined, sacred, supernal, unfleshly, unphysical.

My favorite word here is 'extramundane' - where spirituality is the belief that mundane things simply aren't divine enough to explain the way things are.

So I guess my definition for spiritual is 'the disbelief that mundane things are all there is'.
Old 17-04-2011, 07:07 PM
unus supra

This is an interesting question. Ive wondered about that myself, just recently with one of my good buddies, and the thing we came to is that spirituality is a very amorphous term. its a little bit tough to pin down.

So in my opinion, as Psychoslice said, just being natural, being real, no pretense. That, and i consider spiritualizing your life is putting your mind body and soul into whatever you do, small or large.

just doing your best.
Old 18-04-2011, 03:49 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth
But the word "spirituality" is much much higher. Philosophy is subjective. Spirituality is beyond Ego or personal views. It is not a subject of just mankind. It encompasses the whole of life - man, women, our soul, animals, the earth, the sun, the planets and all other things that we are yet to know and the numerous ways in which each interact with the other, controlled by that Vast wholeness or GOD.

So, what it means to be a spiritual person?
It means being aware of, and living, these connections and interactions.
It does not necessarily mean being nice or accommodating.
Old 18-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Master
i don't know what it means. i do get the impression that i might not be very "spiritual" because i kinda like my mind. i tend "think too much" and too logically. and what i tend to think is that some of what's considered "spiritual" is rather silly and/or cruel and i'm likely to express what i think. oops!

oh well ... i've never been very good at fitting in with the "in crowd". lol
Old 18-04-2011, 04:14 AM
nightowl

To me personally being spiritual is connecting with the Divine. Spirit to spirit, the seen to the unseen, essence to essence. Infusing me and flowing out of me, interacting with others giving and growing, living and loving...and more and more and more
Old 18-04-2011, 01:38 PM
HBuck72

I think being a spiritual person involves reconnecting with what you are. I believe that we are all created by God, and are therefore all children of God. So being "spiritual" involves awakening to your true-self, and reconnecting with the divine energy that surrounds each of us.