Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 11-05-2020, 04:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple
Broadband sensing evolved for the purpose of being receptive to and aware of sudden movements and changes with smells, sounds and sights, in the immediate environment. - With reference to seeing :

'Looking with two eyes', is an idea which may help you get into the feeling quickly. Put your hands up between your eyes, so you block the central area. You will get an impression of how it is to see with eyes on both sides of your face. Then take your hands away and just imagine you have two separate eyes on the sides of your face. Then forget you've got two eyes and just look.

Look at everything you can see and see everything you're looking at. Wait until it all merges into the oval shape of your field of vision, then look at the whole picture – if you are outside, you will see lots of things moving, but don't look at them, just notice them, keep looking at the whole picture.

My experience is that instead of looking at the world like a T.V. screen, it feels as though i'm right up inside the T.V.. The normal feeling of subject looking at object is considerably different, it's a 'being with' what i'm seeing, instead of looking at it.

Source : The Perfect Blind Spot
howtobenow.online/links.html

I can understand more now after reading this. Did you have to keep something in front of your face to start with? I've been having a go, but of course as soon as I take my hands down I just refocus in front of me again. Would take a lot of practice? Can I ask you what benefits you've found?
Old 11-05-2020, 04:40 PM
ketzer

Quote:
hello fellow animal lovers,
i am 68 yr.old, English, and living in Germany. I'm new to this forum and i have a whole series of ideas and no-one to talk with.

My interest is something i call broadband sensing. Animals use it all the time.

Broadband sensing evolved for the purpose of being receptive to and aware of sudden movements and changes with smells, sounds and sights, in the immediate environment.

Non-selective sensing is not a good word to describe it, because this fails to describe the actual activity of being on the watch or ready to be watchful.

Peripheral sensing, refers to the peripheries, humans use this to support a central focus point when driving or cycling, but animals sense everything, nearby and central as well.

I believe our culture dosen't have any word for this, ... So my question is, is there an official name for what i call broadband sensing?

And a couple of ideas to finish with :
Broadband sensing is a vital part of the oldest, original, most natural form of being awake and staying alive. We believe to find peace of mind and be awake in the present moment we need a mental shift of perspective. We only rarely associate this shift of perspective directly with our senses and how we use them.

more on howtobenow.online (not allowed to post links as newbie - hope its ok like that)

have an inspiring day ... and keepitsimple

They say our subconscious mind is often aware of many things during the day that our attention is never focused on and so it goes unnoticed. The senses sense, but the conscious mind does not always know what is sensed unless the subconscious mind decides to tell it. Usually, my thinker is off somewhere else, thinking about something else, so my subconscious mind has to yell that much louder to get its attention. It is an interesting exercise when meditating to not just try and refocus ones awareness away from thoughts, but to do so outside and try to allow all of the sensory input to just stream in without trying to put a label on anything or decide what it is or means. That thinker is a useful fellow most of the time, but he can be a bit of an attention hog, sometimes I can't hear the movie over the sound of him analyzing the plot and characters.

https://time.com/3937351/consciousne...ousness-brain/
The one Morsella and his colleagues came up with is something they call “Passive Frame Theory,” and their provocative idea goes like this: nearly all of your brain’s work is conducted in different lobes and regions at the unconscious level, completely without your knowledge. When the processing is done and there is a decision to make or a physical act to perform, that very small job is served up to the conscious mind, which executes the work and then flatters itself that it was in charge all the time.
The conscious you, in effect, is like a not terribly bright CEO, whose subordinates do all of the research, draft all of the documents, then lay them out and say, “Sign here, sir.” The CEO does—and takes the credit.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:20 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineBloggs
I can understand more now after reading this. Did you have to keep something in front of your face to start with? I've been having a go, but of course as soon as I take my hands down I just refocus in front of me again. Would take a lot of practice? Can I ask you what benefits you've found?

Hi again,
thanks for trying it out.
i don't know how much practice it could take for different individuals with the right method. And i almost always combine it with listening. ...

And don't try and do it like meditation, it's just a minute (to start with). Just enough to bring any focussed activity in balance and make it safe.

i didn't start with the two eye method, and i never exerimented with it, it just seems the easiest way to start ... but i think a variety of methods may be best.

It would make this post too long to explain how i started, but that is on howtobenow.online/2020/mobile/1_seeing-listening.html ... and all the following ideas come from there.

I've tried to pick out the best ideas, but if you're in lockdown most will be hard do. ... do you wear glasses or contact lenses? - the rims of glasses make it difficult ...

People often spontaneously experience a short moment of broadband seeing, looking into the distance with a landscape or seascape - so a panorama is the most natural stimulus.

It helps if there is a monotonous wall straight in front, anything which has no focal point.

Ideal is to lie down in the centre of a clearing in the woods, look at a clear sky, and watch the leaves on the trees moving all around the peripheries.

A good idea to achieve a degree of success, is it go somewhere where lots is happening, sit outside where cars and people are moving - by the street or in a pedestrian zone, ...

Look upwards where nothing's moving, find a roof top chimney pot to focus on, but then look at the people, push-bikes and cars which are passing by in the bottom half of your field of vision. Notice when new objects come into your field of vision - follow them till they are out of sight.

Then look down at the pavement, or your knees, and 'massage' the upper half of your field of vision.

Another good idea is, sitting in a train, facing in the direction of travel, focus on something infront, and then watch the world going by on both sides.

---
The first main benefit is that it stops or slows down all the pointless abstract thought and i'm now ... i need to qualify that : The religious experience of eternity is often connected with some awesome mind blowing sense of being now, - but it's not the simple sense of now which every animal has.

It difficult to summarise the benefits in a sentance or two - but they are similar to any method of meditation or prayer, the main difference is that this is a direct and natural way, and it's reliable, and i reckon it could be combined with - and is best combined with - any focussed method.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
They say our subconscious mind is often aware of many things during the day that our attention is never focused on and so it goes unnoticed. The senses sense, but the conscious mind does not always know what is sensed unless the subconscious mind decides to tell it. Usually, my thinker is off somewhere else, thinking about something else, so my subconscious mind has to yell that much louder to get its attention. It is an interesting exercise when meditating to not just try and refocus ones awareness away from thoughts, but to do so outside and try to allow all of the sensory input to just stream in without trying to put a label on anything or decide what it is or means. That thinker is a useful fellow most of the time, but he can be a bit of an attention hog, sometimes I can't hear the movie over the sound of him analyzing the plot and characters.

time.com/3937351/consciousness-unconsciousness-brain/
The one Morsella and his colleagues came up with is something they call “Passive Frame Theory,” and their provocative idea goes like this: nearly all of your brain’s work is conducted in different lobes and regions at the unconscious level, completely without your knowledge. When the processing is done and there is a decision to make or a physical act to perform, that very small job is served up to the conscious mind, which executes the work and then flatters itself that it was in charge all the time.
The conscious you, in effect, is like a not terribly bright CEO, whose subordinates do all of the research, draft all of the documents, then lay them out and say, “Sign here, sir.” The CEO does—and takes the credit.

I like the story, its a good analogy.

"my thinker is off somewhere else, thinking about something else,"

You and Morsella describe the problems with focussing - you can focus on something and think about other things. Focussing was built that way, to evaluate, learn, and do things with a doer and a done to, a subject and object. So life is about coordination and the challenge is to concentrate. And the CEO takes the credit (or feels like a failure). ...

But then you come to the turning point:
"It is an interesting exercise when meditating to not just try and refocus ones awareness away from thoughts, but to do so outside and try to allow all of the sensory input to just stream in without trying to put a label on anything or decide what it is or means."

yes inside the only moving things are on the tele or in the fish tank ... the subordinates can have more fun outside, and once they start enjoying it they could actually turn the tables on the bosses ... i call it broadband sensing ... Our senses are being used and forced to only focus, forced to work for the bosses, and their natural inborn abilities are being ignored and denied. ... FREEDOM
Old 13-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Hi again,
thanks for trying it out.
i don't know how much practice it could take for different individuals with the right method. And i almost always combine it with listening. ...

And don't try and do it like meditation, it's just a minute (to start with). Just enough to bring any focussed activity in balance and make it safe.

i didn't start with the two eye method, and i never exerimented with it, it just seems the easiest way to start ... but i think a variety of methods may be best.

It would make this post too long to explain how i started, but that is on howtobenow.online/2020/mobile/1_seeing-listening.html ... and all the following ideas come from there.

I've tried to pick out the best ideas, but if you're in lockdown most will be hard do. ... do you wear glasses or contact lenses? - the rims of glasses make it difficult ...

People often spontaneously experience a short moment of broadband seeing, looking into the distance with a landscape or seascape - so a panorama is the most natural stimulus.

It helps if there is a monotonous wall straight in front, anything which has no focal point.

Ideal is to lie down in the centre of a clearing in the woods, look at a clear sky, and watch the leaves on the trees moving all around the peripheries.

A good idea to achieve a degree of success, is it go somewhere where lots is happening, sit outside where cars and people are moving - by the street or in a pedestrian zone, ...

Look upwards where nothing's moving, find a roof top chimney pot to focus on, but then look at the people, push-bikes and cars which are passing by in the bottom half of your field of vision. Notice when new objects come into your field of vision - follow them till they are out of sight.

Then look down at the pavement, or your knees, and 'massage' the upper half of your field of vision.

Another good idea is, sitting in a train, facing in the direction of travel, focus on something infront, and then watch the world going by on both sides.

---
The first main benefit is that it stops or slows down all the pointless abstract thought and i'm now ... i need to qualify that : The religious experience of eternity is often connected with some awesome mind blowing sense of being now, - but it's not the simple sense of now which every animal has.

It difficult to summarise the benefits in a sentance or two - but they are similar to any method of meditation or prayer, the main difference is that this is a direct and natural way, and it's reliable, and i reckon it could be combined with - and is best combined with - any focussed method.

I'll give it a go. Not sure when though. Thanks for explaining.