Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 24-07-2019, 05:47 AM
Knower
There's something within you that knows what to do.
There is a power greater than you that knows how to take care of you without your help.
All you've got to do is to surrender to it.
Surrender your thoughts, your mind, your ego, to the current that knows the way.
It will take care of you.
It will take better care of you than you can ever imagine.

Robert Adams
Old 24-07-2019, 07:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara5
I'd like to share with you an incident from Robert Adams's Life : Robert stated, "From the very beginning, as far back as I can remember, when I was in my crib a little man with a gray beard and white hair used to appear before me at the other end of the crib, about two feet tall, and speak gibberish to me."

he had had visions of a white haired, bearded man seated at the foot of his bed, who was about two feet tall, and who used to talk to him in a language which he did not understand. He told his parents but they thought he was playing games. He would later find out that this man was a vision of his future guru Sri Ramana Maharshi.

So, Robert didn't go to Ramana to study the concepts of the mind.

Wow, lucky you!
I'm curious to know more about your mom

Nothing...But, as we know, Maya (illusion) is sometimes more powerful than the Self...Maya constantly pushes us back from progressing spiritually...
So, Sangha or Satsang (The term Satsang is coined from the Sanskrit language, with sat meaning "the absolute truth" and sang meaning " company of seekers or saints...Gathering of the Truth/Oneness) is considered very important - to spend time with a group-of-same is absolutely important to help us ascend and grow

Can i observe the candle without the Me?
Yes!
I can observe the candle without any 'past knowledge'...without Naming it..
watching becomes an ego-based process when we Watch with a Conditioned-Mind....

I know I Am, without any help of my mind...

Our ego dissolves when we are sleeping, right?

So, who says, i had slept very well last night? Who says it? Who knows it?
Does ego say it? Does ego know it?

When Adams went to study and learn from a dozen teachers and he at some point like you said devoted himself to the teachings of ramana . All knowledge / teachings are concepts of the mind . All are concepts trying to explain what self is and what self isn't and what we are in reflection of our mindful reality .

I am happy to speak more about my mum if you have any specific questions . This also relates to the requirement of having certain masters or guru's in one's life . It isn't by chance or by luck that these individuals are within our lives . A lot of guidance goes on behind the scenes by non physical/s .

I am glad you agree there is nothing to learn per se . You mention terms and meanings and teachings that relate to sanskrit language . Again certain folk feel the desire and study all these terminologies and familiarise themselves with buddhist terms, and what samadhi relates to this and what samadhi relates to that . Each to their own on that score but all one is doing is filling their heads with more and more knowledge which is quite ironic when at a certain point, certain spiritual peeps say the more spiritual they are the less they actually know, but there they are filling their minds with more and more conceptual knowledge lol .

I don't need to know or have the desire to study or read other's teachings .

let me ask you again because you haven't answered me as yet .. whose knowledge is it? when teachers study other teachers and study the scriptures whose teachings are whose .

When forum members speak like guru's and are well versed in sanskrit, whose knowledge do they recite?

It's like chinese whispers passing down knowledge from someone standing to their left lol .

What is the origin of such knowledge?

The first ever self realized dude that managed to get ink to paper?

How do you know that you are observing the candle without you being present?

Our ego doesn't dissolve when you are asleep . What you are never sleeps .

You are consciously aware at all times you just don't remember it .

There is only what you are so the sense of that say's you have had a good or bad sleep .

The sense of self in reflection of what sleep is and what good and bad implies is ego related .

Like said the ego is a sense of your self, self identified . You can't identify with sleep if you don't identity with self because sleep would mean nothing to no-one .

x daz x
Old 24-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
You mention terms and meanings and teachings that relate to sanskrit language . Again certain folk feel the desire and study all these terminologies and familiarise themselves with buddhist terms, and what samadhi relates to this and what samadhi relates to that . Each to their own on that score but all one is doing is filling their heads with more and more knowledge which is quite ironic when at a certain point, certain spiritual peeps say the more spiritual they are the less they actually know, but there they are filling their minds with more and more conceptual knowledge lol .

let me ask you again because you haven't answered me as yet .. whose knowledge is it? when teachers study other teachers and study the scriptures whose teachings are whose .

When forum members speak like guru's and are well versed in sanskrit, whose knowledge do they recite?

It's like chinese whispers passing down knowledge from someone standing to their left lol .

I cannot speak for anyone else but I find the Sanskrit terms useful. There is usually no simple equivalent in English which conveys the same meaning. But my knowledge is limited to the more familiar Sanskrit terms.

You may not feel any desire to read the teachings of others, and that is fine. I happen to enjoy reading such teachings (but not all teachings - for example, I find J. Krishnamurti very dry and unreadable). Each to their own.

I don't understand your question about whose knowledge it is. There is a body of knowledge going way back. We can point to this teacher or that text, but such knowledge was taught orally long before any of it was written down. This body of knowledge is useful as a spiritual philosophy, but the philosophy comes alive through our own realisations.

For example, we can read countless texts on Advaita, but Advaita takes on practical meaning through the words of teachers such as Ramana Maharshi or Nisargadatta. It then becomes a living reality through our own realisations. We may then read the teachings and they reflect our own experience.

Peace.
Old 25-07-2019, 06:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I cannot speak for anyone else but I find the Sanskrit terms useful. There is usually no simple equivalent in English which conveys the same meaning. But my knowledge is limited to the more familiar Sanskrit terms.

You may not feel any desire to read the teachings of others, and that is fine. I happen to enjoy reading such teachings (but not all teachings - for example, I find J. Krishnamurti very dry and unreadable). Each to their own.

I don't understand your question about whose knowledge it is. There is a body of knowledge going way back. We can point to this teacher or that text, but such knowledge was taught orally long before any of it was written down. This body of knowledge is useful as a spiritual philosophy, but the philosophy comes alive through our own realisations.

For example, we can read countless texts on Advaita, but Advaita takes on practical meaning through the words of teachers such as Ramana Maharshi or Nisargadatta. It then becomes a living reality through our own realisations. We may then read the teachings and they reflect our own experience.

Peace.

Sure, knowledge is useful, sanskrit meanings are, even instructions on how to build an ikea wardrobe is useful .

I am more leaning towards teachers that teach who have attained a wealth of knowledge by the hands of other's .

And these other's have the teaching's of other's and so forth .

All good on that score, I am not knocking learning and teaching, I was trying to illustrate however that it's easy to fall in love and become devoted because of what someone say's .. even when the knowledge is second or third hand to infinity .

If we perhaps speak on behalf on engineers, bridge builders, car engine designers then there is a sign of the times that is involved in regards to authenticity .

No one can 200 years later say that they have now designed the first bridge or car engine but spiritual types can attain knowledge and speak as if it is their way of life .

Any forum member can write a book using all the data from all the posts .. One can speak about unconditional love and one can talk about non duality and be seen by other's to be some super duper guru type without even having looked at oneself in reflection of what the teachings refer too .

I am not negating Adams realization or anyones just to be clear, I was more so trying to establish that learning concepts from a dozen teachers is what has happened in his case .

What would self realized individuals talk about if there was no scriptures to fall back on .. I said to Tara what could be said about the realization of Self itself could be written on paper the size of a postage stamp . Declaring that reality is a dream and such likes is a conclusion of the mind, so then you have someone read that and believe that and be influenced by that in equal measure to their devotion of the teacher. It can be a dangerous game .

All you have to do is say to certain teacher's 'did you realize that'?

Then watch the reply ..

In regards to your enquiry into what does my question mean regarding whose knowledge is it you have illustrated my point in meaning .

Scripture's written from way back and before that teachings through word of mouth . All second, third hand knowledge to infinity .

Living reality through our own realizations in reflections of other teachings is what exactly?

What I mean, is some might say that they have nothing to do with this world or the body like Adams has pointed out .

This is not realized . This is a conclusion of the mind, so all that happens is peeps can resonate by means of coming to the same conclusion .

Then you have to see if these conclusions are met by how they live their life . It goes way deep . Peeps that say they have nothing to do with this world and with the body carry on as if they have . They even teach other's this lol to what means? to other's that have nothing to do with this world or the body?.

x daz x
Old 25-07-2019, 06:52 AM
Knower
Quote:
When Adams went to study and learn from a dozen teachers

Robert Adams NEVER went to study and learn from a dozen teachers..
He was a self-realized jnani.

Sufi saint Rumi had once famously said: “Sit with lovers and choose their state. Do not stay long with those who are not living in the heart.”

So, he was sitting with lovers....they were like birds of a feather flocking together.

Quote:
All knowledge / teachings are concepts of the mind .

Yes, all knowledge is mental...concepts of the mind....because knowledge is borrowed...but not WISDOM (knowing)...

knowledge is not the same as wisdom.

Wisdom is inner-flowering, wisdom comes when we go beyond the mind...

Ramana based his teaching on his own direct realization

Quote:
I am happy to speak more about my mum if you have any specific questions .

I want to know everything about this divine Being ...but it's a public forum...so, i'm a bit confused...

Quote:
It isn't by chance or by luck that these individuals are within our lives . A lot of guidance goes on behind the scenes by non physical/s .

We carefully choose our parents/family before we are born to master certain life lessons...

Quote:

There is no OTHER...there is only THAT

I'm a passionate reader...I grew up in a book-filed home, so, reading comes as naturally to me as breathing....

Quote:
let me ask you again because you haven't answered me as yet .. whose knowledge is it? when teachers study other teachers and study the scriptures whose teachings are whose

The first ever self realized dude that managed to get ink to paper?

You are confused between knowledge and wisdom...

Quote:
How do you know that you are observing the candle without you being present?

"You being present" means what?

Witnessing happens spontaneously and effortlessly, without naming or labelling (neutral witnessing)

I without the i'm.....is ever-present...

Quote:

You are consciously aware at all times you just don't remember it .

There is only what you are so the sense of that say's you have had a good or bad sleep .

The sense of self in reflection of what sleep is and what good and bad implies is ego related .

Like said the ego is a sense of your self, self identified . You can't identify with sleep if you don't identity with self because sleep would mean nothing to no-one .

x daz x

wrong perception of ego....
if you don't want to read Ramana and Robert...read/listen to Rupert Spira.....just a suggestion. Take it or leave it
Old 25-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat

I studied Sanskrit at school but I've forgotten most of it now.
Sanskrit is the language of the Vedas, the most ancient sacred hindu scripts.

Quote:

J.krishnamurti is dry as a desert...but the desert has its own beauty....I've spent a lot of time reading JK's work...his teachings left an imprint on me.

Quote:
For example, we can read countless texts on Advaita, but Advaita takes on practical meaning through the words of teachers such as Ramana Maharshi or Nisargadatta. It then becomes a living reality through our own realisations. We may then read the teachings and they reflect our own experience. Peace.

Old 25-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Robert Adams NEVER went to study and learn from a dozen teachers..
He was a self-realized jnani.

Sufi saint Rumi had once famously said: “Sit with lovers and choose their state. Do not stay long with those who are not living in the heart.”

So, he was sitting with lovers....they were like birds of a feather flocking together.

Yes, all knowledge is mental...concepts of the mind....because knowledge is borrowed...but not WISDOM (knowing)...

Ramana based his teaching on his own direct realization
:

J. Goldsmith was his first mentor . You don't have a mentor and not learn anything from them ..

You don't become a devotee of Ramana and not learn anything .

I could go on and on with the list of other teachers .

By his own admission Adams say's there was no such thing as a new teaching. This knowledge could be found in the Upanishads, the Vedas and other Hindu scriptures .

Why didn't all this knowledge come to Adams during his realization episode .

Why is there the reason to have confirmation by reading all these scriptures .

The reason is because there is no knowledge that pertains to concepts of the mind that is of the realization itself .

So when Adams says he has nothing to do with this world or this body, is that wisdom or mental knowledge .

Lets take this step by step and then I will address your other thoughts / comments .

x daz x
Old 25-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Can i observe the candle without the Me?
Yes!
I can observe the candle without any 'past knowledge'...without Naming it..
watching becomes an ego-based process when we Watch with a Conditioned-Mind....

Quote:

Quote:

Thoughts come, stay and go but it isn't YOU that comes and goes with your thoughts....Something is aware of COMING staying and Going.... Who is he? Because of Self/Consciousness/Awareness thinking is known to be happening. And that Awareness is like empty space or screen upon which everything is seen...coming going everything...Go inwards

Great observations , Tara. Found it insightful.

Thanks also for this highly informative thread of yours. Robert Adams is indeed a great master in his own right.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 25-07-2019, 11:26 PM
Quote:
J. Goldsmith was his first mentor . You don't have a mentor and not learn anything from them ..

You don't become a devotee of Ramana and not learn anything .

I could go on and on with the list of other teachers .

By his own admission Adams say's there was no such thing as a new teaching.

This knowledge could be found in the Upanishads, the Vedas and other Hindu scriptures.

Why didn't all this knowledge come to Adams during his realization episode .Why is there the reason to have confirmation by reading all these scriptures .
The reason is because there is no knowledge that pertains to concepts of the mind that is of the realization itself.

So when Adams says he has nothing to do with this world or this body, is that wisdom or mental knowledge.
Lets take this step by step and then I will address your other thoughts / comments .
What exactly is the point you want to get to, daz?
I don't understand the need, almost like a grilling, that you're doing to sweet Tara.
And why do you put a space before each of your periods?
Of course, you could then ask me.. 'Why do you feel a need to correct them all, Miss H"..I stopped, btw. LOL

I love Joel S. Goldsmith!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 26-07-2019, 05:16 AM
Knower
Quote:
At the age of 14, Robert had a deep experience of One-Ness. And...
At the age of 16, Robert met Joel. Goldsmith.
So,
Robert had a direct experience of ONENESS much before meeting Goldsmith...
J Goldsmith helped Robert to understand Robert's experience better....Awakening is not always Bliss...it's a painful and complex process...And, he was too young to understand that, merely 14 years old.... In fact, J.Goldsmith advised him to see Yogananda Paramhamsa...And, later Yogananda realized that Robert had his own path and sent him to India to meet Ramana...
Quote:
By his own admission Adams say's there was no such thing as a new teaching. This knowledge could be found in the Upanishads, the Vedas and other Hindu scriptures .
he is absolutely right....Advaita philosophy is taught by the Vedas, the most ancient scriptures of India.
Teaching/philosophy is not new...
But, the self-realisation comes through our own personal experiences, thus, always NEW....Awakening is not something one can learn from others...

Quote:
So when Adams says he has nothing to do with this world or this body, is that wisdom or mental knowledge .
I think you know my answer

Quote:
x daz x
Anytime