Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Dreams

Old 09-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawnrr
Oh...and I should note, that there is also a distinct possibility it is simply just random neurons firing in the brain as we start to rest or wake up........the gears of the mind shutting down (or starting) with a sputter.
does the mind ever "shut down"?
i've seen people, on this forum and elsewhere, postulate that they may be a
'brain in a jar', and all of their supposed physical (or other) experiences are
merely projections of the mind... which implies that they don't recognize
having any experiences without mind being actively present [constantly "on"].
Old 09-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Guide
True...maybe "shut down" was not the right analogy.....maybe just "switching modes" would have been better ;)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Master
Quote:
True...maybe "shut down" was not the right analogy.....maybe just "switching modes" would have been better ;)
maybe. i guess i was trying to get at the possibility of experiencing/knowing
something 'outside' the realm of mind. like, are my emotions independent of
intellect, and can i recognize navigating through an 'emotional field' without
relying on mental facilities to 'make sense' of things?
for people to sometimes feel "trapped in the mind" seems awful... it'd be
nice to to have other spheres of reality to explore in such a case.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by H:O:R:A:C:E
maybe. i guess i was trying to get at the possibility of experiencing/knowing
something 'outside' the realm of mind. like, are my emotions independent of
intellect, and can i recognize navigating through an 'emotional field' without
relying on mental facilities to 'make sense' of things?
for people to sometimes feel "trapped in the mind" seems awful... it'd be
nice to to have other spheres of reality to explore in such a case.

The problem with that scenario is that sense and understanding are faculties of the mind. Emotions can be experienced at a emotional level without the mind, but the experience is more of "a wild ride" rather than something that can build understanding of the experience.
Many people attempt to shut down one faculty to experience another, but we are whole beings, all the faculties we have are there to give us the full experience of life. The trick I believe is to learn to use them all for what they were designed for, and in harmony with each other, not independently.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Master
Quote:
The problem with that scenario is that sense and understanding are faculties of the mind. Emotions can be experienced at a emotional level without the mind, but the experience is more of "a wild ride" rather than something that can build understanding of the experience.
Many people attempt to shut down one faculty to experience another, but we are whole beings, all the faculties we have are there to give us the full experience of life. The trick I believe is to learn to use them all for what they were designed for, and in harmony with each other, not independently.
'using the faculties in harmony' is something i think important too...
that's a way to understand what 'healthy living' is i reckon.
i don't know that i'd agree about 'mindless' explorations in the emotional
field as being "a wild ride" necessarily... that seems to imply that emotions
are jumbled and unpredictable without the guidance of the mind to keep
them in order (which i doubt to be the case).
meditation is sometimes described as "quieting the mind", so i suppose
it possible to do that exploration i've proposed, with little if any mental
processes involved.
the "trick" played by many people who've come to believe that 'everything
is thought' may be that they've cranked their emotional meter to a specific
value, and if they feel "trapped" that reading won't be 'peaceful'.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Guide
Quote:
'using the faculties in harmony' is something i think important too...
that's a way to understand what 'healthy living' is i reckon.
i don't know that i'd agree about 'mindless' explorations in the emotional
field as being "a wild ride" necessarily... that seems to imply that emotions
are jumbled and unpredictable without the guidance of the mind to keep
them in order (which i doubt to be the case).
meditation is sometimes described as "quieting the mind", so i suppose
it possible to do that exploration i've proposed, with little if any mental
processes involved.
the "trick" played by many people who've come to believe that 'everything
is thought' may be that they've cranked their emotional meter to a specific
value, and if they feel "trapped" that reading won't be 'peaceful'.

The trouble with emotions is that it is hard to define where they begin or where they end. We all feel emotions, but alot of the emotional experience is reactive, it can be triggered by life situations, However life situations are interpreted by the mind, so that would make the mind the trigger to them.
Then they are also stimulated by chemical reactions in the body, whether natural hormones, or artificial stimulants (my son had a really bad reaction to some medication the doctor gave him and spent all Thursday crying, even he could not figure out why, and that really bothered him).
So are emotions then really a part of our psyche?...or are they just reactionary experiences based on the mind or chemicals, and have no real form of their own?

(I know we are going way beyond the original dream topic...sorry Lolly)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Master
Quote:
The trouble with emotions is that it is hard to define where they begin or where they end. We all feel emotions, but alot of the emotional experience is reactive, it can be triggered by life situations, However life situations are interpreted by the mind, so that would make the mind the trigger to them.
Then they are also stimulated by chemical reactions in the body, whether natural hormones, or artificial stimulants (my son had a really bad reaction to some medication the doctor gave him and spent all Thursday crying, even he could not figure out why, and that really bothered him).
So are emotions then really a part of our psyche?...or are they just reactionary experiences based on the mind or chemicals, and have no real form of their own?

hah. can we easily define where the mind begins or ends?
i agree that much of human experience has involved using emotions as
'reactionary devices'... but i figure we don't need to do that. then there's
the times when you might get a "bad feeling" about something, before
the fact of it (like before you turn a corner), so that seems 'premonitory'.
i have the idea, from "law of attraction" and such, that emotional states
can precede an events occurrence... by bringing us into the vibration
which would allow it to manifest.

i'm sorry for your son's uncomfortable reaction, but i figure Lolly
doesn't mind our going off topic so i won't apologize for it. :P
Old 11-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Guide
Quote:
hah. can we easily define where the mind begins or ends?
i agree that much of human experience has involved using emotions as
'reactionary devices'... but i figure we don't need to do that. then there's
the times when you might get a "bad feeling" about something, before
the fact of it (like before you turn a corner), so that seems 'premonitory'.
i have the idea, from "law of attraction" and such, that emotional states
can precede an events occurrence... by bringing us into the vibration
which would allow it to manifest.

i'm sorry for your son's uncomfortable reaction, but i figure Lolly
doesn't mind our going off topic so i won't apologize for it. :P

I am not sure I would even put "bad feelings" into the category of emotions either. It really does not come as any particular emotion (at least not in my experience), I see it more as a sensory perception we get that our mind does not have a good label for, so we we call it simply a "bad feeling". There are many senses that the body has apart from the 5 commonly perceived ones. It is easy to label any of the 5 common senses in our mind, but the others we just dont have the "words" yet for them.
In one analogy I see the movement of life as a stream of space/time, in this movement our individual experiences create ripples of movement in the stream around us. If the ripples of another person (or even an upcoming natural event...since all aspects of life, not just people can cause ripples) disrupt the ripples we have around us, we can feel the feedback of that wave as it intersects ours. If the wave is completely at odds with ours, then it would be a "bad feeling".

At least that is one of my current views on such things.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Master
Quote:
I am not sure I would even put "bad feelings" into the category of emotions either. It really does not come as any particular emotion (at least not in my experience), I see it more as a sensory perception we get that our mind does not have a good label for, so we we call it simply a "bad feeling". There are many senses that the body has apart from the 5 commonly perceived ones. It is easy to label any of the 5 common senses in our mind, but the others we just dont have the "words" yet for them.
In one analogy I see the movement of life as a stream of space/time, in this movement our individual experiences create ripples of movement in the stream around us. If the ripples of another person (or even an upcoming natural event...since all aspects of life, not just people can cause ripples) disrupt the ripples we have around us, we can feel the feedback of that wave as it intersects ours. If the wave is completely at odds with ours, then it would be a "bad feeling".

At least that is one of my current views on such things.
this is perceptive of you.
the 'ominous feeling' may be how someone interprets a bit of information
which reaches them via an emotional field... it might be like receiving a
phone call from a bully, saying he's coming over to talk (which would
trigger mental processes into considering the possibilities).
of course, there may also be times when a person might have a 'feeling of
expectation' for something desirable too... without knowing what it is to be.

noticing a "tug" on the emotional field could be a sense that's overlooked
in most textbooks.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Guide

Quote:

No worries Rawnrr, I like good healthy debates. Great to see interesting opinions no matter what the topic or how different, it's all good