Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18-02-2018, 08:09 PM
olhosdeamendoa olhosdeamendoa is offline
Knower
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 237
 
What do you think of pin-up tattoos on a man?

I've separated from the father of my son years ago and have been on an online dating site.

So I've met this guy, we talked a bit and then decided to meet for a coffee. I was enjoying the time with him, but then at one point he showed me a tattoo in his forearm of a motorbike piston with a naked pin-up girl with high heels on it.

I was quite shocked, especially when he told me that he's done it only a month ago (he's 47).

I like tattoos and I have 3 myself, but I find this pin-up naked thing very tacky, trashy and also is objectifying women. Purely sexist.

It just put me off him immediately. I mean, how would I even explain to my 6 year old son that kind of thing?
He doesn't have children, so I guess that's not an issue for him.

What do you think about this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18-02-2018, 09:07 PM
OEN34 OEN34 is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: England
Posts: 265
  OEN34's Avatar
Tattoo's are creative art and a very personal thing to some. They can have meaning. I have a half sleeve from elbow to wrist on my forearm, it is not offensive to others, but it has meaning to me.

He obviously got it for a reason and perhaps in his mind he feels it is not offensive? Have you asked him the reason he got it; what it means? I often get that, especially when chatting to ladies

But seriously, it's part of who he is, and if you like who he is - his complete character - then this needs accepting IMO. His tattoo being tacky etc is your opinion, which you're entitled to, but it doesn't mean he on a whole is.

Put it this way. If I met a lady who absolutely blew my socks off and she had a visible tattoo that I deemed offensive - apart from asking her what her reason was for getting it and what it means to her, I'd absolutely not let it be the reason for not continuing dating her.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18-02-2018, 09:11 PM
olhosdeamendoa olhosdeamendoa is offline
Knower
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 237
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
Tattoo's are creative art and a very personal thing to some. They can have meaning. I have a half sleeve from elbow to wrist on my forearm, it is not offensive to others, but it has meaning to me.

He obviously got it for a reason and perhaps in his mind he feels it is not offensive? Have you asked him the reason he got it; what it means? I often get that, especially when chatting to ladies

But seriously, it's part of who he is, and if you like who he is - his complete character - then this needs accepting IMO. His tattoo being tacky etc is your opinion, which you're entitled to, but it doesn't mean he on a whole is.

Put it this way. If I met a lady who absolutely blew my socks off and she had a visible tattoo that I deemed offensive - apart from asking her what her reason was for getting it and what it means to her, I'd absolutely not let it be the reason for not continuing dating her.

Thank you.

Yes I did ask him and he said he just likes it. Didn't say any meaning behind it.

I like tattoos too, I've got 3 myself. It was this specific tattoo that made me cringe.

I did like him, after all we were together talking non-stop for 3 and a half hours on our first date! So maybe I am being a bit judgemental and will at least see him for a second date. Will think about it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19-02-2018, 08:28 AM
OEN34 OEN34 is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: England
Posts: 265
  OEN34's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by olhosdeamendoa
Thank you.

Yes I did ask him and he said he just likes it. Didn't say any meaning behind it.

I like tattoos too, I've got 3 myself. It was this specific tattoo that made me cringe.

I did like him, after all we were together talking non-stop for 3 and a half hours on our first date! So maybe I am being a bit judgemental and will at least see him for a second date. Will think about it.

That sounds like a good first date!

I imagine you will start to not even notice it is on him the more you see him. It'll just be there, without any thought

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Lorelyen Lorelyen is offline
Master
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 7,078
 
If it really bugs you then have no further dealings with him. He's himself. He decided to have the tattoo. It signifies something you don't like and it will always be there unless he has it overwritten.

No point in continuing with someone if you can't resolve in your mind what other connotations the tattoo might also signify. Have you asked yourself why you responded adversely? I mean deeply, beyond the superficial "I don't like that." If you like tattoos - why?

Silly for him to say there's no meaning behind it. Unless he popped in the parlour and said "I want tatooing. Any design will do," he had some impetus to choose this design. As is increasingly well known, most men aren't in touch with their emotions. However, scantily clad girls in high heels are often associated with motor bikes through monotonously repetitive advertising. Something to do with supporting the male libido, But to me he's saying "he likes bikes and he likes to conform".

Freud would have said something about the piston design.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19-02-2018, 11:16 AM
olhosdeamendoa olhosdeamendoa is offline
Knower
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 237
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEN34
That sounds like a good first date!

I imagine you will start to not even notice it is on him the more you see him. It'll just be there, without any thought

Best of luck!

Yes it was a good first date. Conversation was easy and flowing between us and I felt comfortable with him. And yes, also felt attracted to him.

It was just when I saw the tat I was like WOOOO!! What the f***? lol

He asked me on a second date right away when we were still together on the first one, so I guess I'll go on a second date with him and see how I feel about him (without considering the tattoo).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Clover Clover is offline
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pacific Coast
Posts: 10,096
  Clover's Avatar
We are definitely in a more open minded time right now as far as self expression, so the tattoo really doesn't surprise me. There is a tattoo from a well known Miami artists that I absolutely love, it has a naked female with a fox mask on LOL. It's beautiful art to me. I have no desire to have it, I just like the uniqueness and artistic value and of course anyone that knows me knows I loves foxes...

I do have to say, I feel a big aspect in our choice in art and tattoos is a reflection of our deep subconscious emotions/desires/beliefs. Perhaps, your friend has an 'acquired' taste on women and metal LOL. Who knows! But what I think really doesn't matter. If your having a good time with the person and he is treating you with respect, than that is all that should matter in my opinion. In short, have fun!

Good luck on your second date, keep us updated; I'd be interested to know if the tattoo is in any way a reflection of his character or not. I mean, none of us know, right?! At any case, I believe in giving everyone a fair chance, as we are so much more than the physical
__________________
"You and I are all as much continuous with the physical universe as a wave is continuous with the ocean." ~ Alan Watts

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19-02-2018, 01:38 PM
Ladyrose92 Ladyrose92 is offline
Master
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,402
  Ladyrose92's Avatar
I have a pin up tattoo on my thigh and I am female, to me it represents empowerment of sexuality <3
__________________
God is Love, Love is all
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums