Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 12-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Well everyone has their own ideas, and 99% of them are crazy ideas, but not crazy enough to be true.

That is quite the statement.
I wonder how you came by this conviction.

The Buddha quote you shared is open for interpretation givven the context of the sutta as i understand it.

With love
Eelco
Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
That is quite the statement.
I wonder how you came by this conviction.

It's was originally physicist Neils Bohr's comment: "Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true."

Quote:
The Buddha quote you shared is open for interpretation givven the context of the sutta as i understand it.

With love
Eelco

Yes the sutta is linked for the wider context.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Master
To understand Buddha's teaching on Anatta you have to look at the broader picture, most people mistakenly think it's ' No self ' if you think it's so then it's difficult to understand rebirth/karma.
There are lots of teachings/Suttas regarding ' True self '. Here are a few if anyone's interested to delve a bit more.

Buddha, in some of his most deep-reaching sutras - such as the Tathagata-garbha Sutra, the Srimaladevi Sutra, the Surangama Sutra, and the Mahaparinirvana Sutra (amongst others) - insists that this teaching of the "Buddha-Principle" within all beings is ultimate Truth and must not be rejected.

Those who abandon the teaching given in this sutra concerning the tathagata-garbha [i.e. the Buddha-Essence in beings or True Self] are just like cattle.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Master

Interesting. @sky123 can you give a deeper understanding of what this True Self is, and how deep Buddha might have reached to come to such an idea
Old 14-02-2018, 01:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I fail to see the purpose of the abuse and contempt you seem to be spreading all over the place in subforums that do not accept your belief system.

If you want an open discussion about the differences, merrit's and similarities between christianity and buddhism I'm happy to engage in one.

If you just want to show how my beliefs are inferior to yours and therefore false I'll pass.
I did report your meme's here and in the hindu forum as rude and inappropiate.
TRUE!

I just came back to SF after a fortnight's absence and saw these...I said my bit in the Hindu Forum, but if I wanted to be proselytized to, I'd just go to Church! This is totally against forum rules.

...and me NOT being a Christian and being a Hindu, means that I don't believe in any Christian things or dogmas, so what a Christian believes will happen to my 'immortal soul', I don't believe what they do...and so even trying to discuss this with me is a total waste of time because it is and will never be my belief!

I'm done here.
Old 14-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi

...and me NOT being a Christian and being a Hindu,

Your a HINDU?

WHAT?

When did this happen .. I would never have guessed .. I'm SHOCKED

"I am your creation.
Now, as before - you criticise your own work."

- Legacy Of Kain
Old 14-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
TRUE!

I just came back to SF after a fortnight's absence and saw these...I said my bit in the Hindu Forum, but if I wanted to be proselytized to, I'd just go to Church! This is totally against forum rules.

...and me NOT being a Christian and being a Hindu, means that I don't believe in any Christian things or dogmas, so what a Christian believes will happen to my 'immortal soul', I don't believe what they do...and so even trying to discuss this with me is a total waste of time because it is and will never be my belief!

I'm done here.

Despite what you have come back to see from this member, I would like to say:

Welcome back!!! ^Pluto throws confetti, pops balloons, makes a ruckus, finally falls asleep^...

Quite honestly these have been my thoughts exactly as well, that not only are these posts highly offensive to the belief systems being targeted, but blatantly against the forums rules as well as a whole.

That being said, happy to see you back Shivani Devi, and looking forward to reading more of your posts in the Hindu section and elsewhere.

Also wanted to take time here to Thank Gem, and Sky thanks to them I have a much better idea of the word volition, and this itself will help me to understand the text that I am reading, as well as other Buddhist text.

Thank you both.
Old 15-02-2018, 02:03 AM
Master
Thanks to you both and I'm very happy to see you as well.

Yes, if I wait a while, the 'Universe' seems to kick in with a fitting response and "I" don't even have to 'do anything' or think about it...that hasn't changed one iota, my dear Knight (long time no see) and thanks for the warm welcome back as well, Saturnine...I am tending to post on a 'need to know' basis now and not as a matter of course.

I also cannot afford the internet, so it's whenever I can book a PC at the local library...which seems to work out well...and I just take a 'memory stick' along.

So, I will post what 'It' had to say about all this in the Hindu forum and link it here.
Old 15-02-2018, 02:07 AM
Master
Here we go, straight from the 'horse's mouth':
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...44&postcount=5