Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 24-01-2018, 03:40 AM
blossomingtree blossomingtree is offline
Suspended
Ascender
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 940
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slash112
I just wanted to be clear on something. Dharma gates are basically the enlightening mental processes, right?

Ohh, looks like I've got some reading and watching material for today, Thich Nhat Hanh.

My opinion is that it is any entry way (doors) to knowing Dharma (Truth). It is said there are 84,000 gates to Buddhism. And this is a way of saying there are different entry ways and methods to help suffering beings be led towards their own salvation. There are (seemingly) different encounters to help people of different dispositions. Different ways that people can come to the door.

Then, when one is practicing, to use each and every opportunity, mental thought, feeling, encounter etc. to practice. This is what is meant by:

The Dharma gates are immeasurable: I vow to master them.


I hope that makes sense, this is my understanding anyway.

BT
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24-01-2018, 03:41 AM
blossomingtree blossomingtree is offline
Suspended
Ascender
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 940
 
Here is the Sutra book used by the Diamond Sangha, and their translation:

GREAT VOWS FOR ALL

The many beings are numberless, I vow to save them,
Greed, hatred, and ignorance rise endlessly, I vow to abandon them,
Dharma gates are countless, I vow to wake to them,
Buddha's Way is unsurpassed, I vow to embody it fully
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24-01-2018, 03:43 AM
blossomingtree blossomingtree is offline
Suspended
Ascender
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 940
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slash112
Yeah I would love to do such a thing. I think I gotta brush up on my Buddhism first though. :P

PS If you do choose to attend a Center, you can look them up first. Typically most centers will have beginners' introduction or orientation seminars.

Even if they don't - good rule of thumb. Just imitate others, it's a new form so it might feel awkward at the beginning but it's all good, all very easy once you know it. If you are chanting, there will be chanting books available for you to follow on. If you lose track, just look at the page of your neighbour so you can catch back right on. Just some more thoughts.

BT
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24-01-2018, 05:33 AM
blossomingtree blossomingtree is offline
Suspended
Ascender
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 940
 
Cross referencing a post from Jyotir on the topic of Bodhisattvas:

Quote:



Hi blossomingtree,

My understanding of the bodhisattva, is that such a being has achieved a state of permanent enlightenment, that they fully embody truth-consciousness having attained mastery of self, and have transformed all ignorance within. They are therefore the quintessence of truth and divinity.

Having realized Satchidananda within themselves, and therefore having the capacity to enter into Nirvana at will, including the possibility of a permanent conscious withdrawal from the Earth and its ignorance, conflicts, and suffering, they may exercise the full freedom of the infinite that they are by declining further cycles of reincarnation. Because they are realized and know who they are, they have fulfilled their physical evolutionary purpose for incarnation and do not need to return to find out.

However, as the embodiment of truth, compassion, and wisdom themselves, and as such truly qualified to be teachers of humanity - out of compassion for those who are still in ignorance, and importantly, as realized fully surrendered instruments of God's Will, Who they in fact are - some of these great souls 'choose' to remain, to willingly re-incarnate, thus sacrificing themselves to the pride of ignorance, the ingratitude, the resistance and the outright hostility of human ego they will encounter by doing so, as a dispensation for the possibility of awakening, nurturing, and progressing the innate spiritual aspiration in others.

In that case, they themselves embody enlightenment as an example, but also as a presence with occult influence, since they are the revealed soul-force within ignorant humanity, whether individual or collective. This physical presence is of great significance - perhaps the greatest demonstration of God’s Compassion besides the creation and sustainment of the Universe itself, since they are the concentrated manifestation of its very purpose, and why these beings are so revered for the unprecedented opportunity they provide:
Not only do they represent the highest within all, but at the same time, they ARE actually the highest within all, as an externalization of that highest truth. As such they are both the symbol of divine possibility and the very means to attain it.

It is an unfortunate but nevertheless common reactive mistake made by still predominantly ego-enmeshed seekers in trivializing or even disparaging such manifestations, as that would serve only to limit and inhibit their own potential for spiritual progression by effectively denying the inherently expedient possibility for divinization that these beings represent generically, and offer directly to individuals.

The only true avenue toward the improvement of world conditions is the divinization of individual beings who then would have a similar effect on the collective. The na´ve recycling of ignorance in the form of ego-based altruism that only superficially addresses results, not causes, is naively perpetuating the same problems by further obscuring their real origins.

~ J



http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...7&postcount=46
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24-01-2018, 11:25 AM
slash112 slash112 is offline
Knower
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sunny Scotland
Posts: 163
  slash112's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
My opinion is that it is any entry way (doors) to knowing Dharma (Truth). It is said there are 84,000 gates to Buddhism. And this is a way of saying there are different entry ways and methods to help suffering beings be led towards their own salvation. There are (seemingly) different encounters to help people of different dispositions. Different ways that people can come to the door.

Then, when one is practicing, to use each and every opportunity, mental thought, feeling, encounter etc. to practice. This is what is meant by:

The Dharma gates are immeasurable: I vow to master them.


I hope that makes sense, this is my understanding anyway.

BT


Ah yeah that makes sense.

Is "the witness" one of the gates? I know the witness is more of a Vedanta thing, but is it recognized in Buddhism as a gate? I'm thinking perhaps there are several gates relating to the witness. Or perhaps all the gates basically point to the witness? To the stillness. To the eternal awareness. ? I feel completely stupid for needing to ask this :P

Also, the gates kinda remind me of the Vij˝āna Bhairava Tantra, which goes over 112 ways a person can become enlightened. 112 ways connecting to 112 chakras. That was a pretty cool read and really expanded my idea of enlightenment. Now we're talking about 84,000 ways! I'm immediately hungry to penetrate every one of them.

Thank you again for all your help BT.


EDIT: Oh yeah I saw that post by Jyotir, it's awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24-01-2018, 12:59 PM
slash112 slash112 is offline
Knower
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sunny Scotland
Posts: 163
  slash112's Avatar
I'm undergoing a transformation at the moment. For the past 6 months I've been in a cocoon, transfiguring myself into the butterfly I want to be. I have never known exactly what kind of person I want to be, but since enlightenment came into my life a year ago, I have known that I wanted to embody it AND share it. But the details have been beyond me. I've just been looking at everything and picking things up that look nice on me.

The Boddhisattva vows have come unexpectedly into my life, thanks to you, and they are already serving a big part in my transmutation. 2 nights in a row I have dreamed of the vows. I repeat the vows throughout the day. I feel the vows drive me.

I am starting to more clearly see the person I want to become, as I become it. I've still got a ways to go before I'm really on a roll, but things are taking nice shape. I just had to post this, because I had a sudden full appreciation for it.

I actually can't thank you enough!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24-01-2018, 02:12 PM
markings markings is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 570
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Here's a beautiful version from TNH.


However innumerable beings are, I vow to meet them with kindness and interest.
However inexhaustible the states of suffering are, I vow to touch them with patience and love.
However immeasurable the Dharmas are, I vow to explore them deeply.
However incomparable the mystery of interbeing, I vow to surrender to it freely.
Westernised, clumsy, New Agey, long-winded, non-poetic.
There is no reason to use that.

What is lacking in most other versions quoted here is the word 'all' at the end of every line.
There are no exceptions, the job is not done until every single line item is done in it entirety. There is no option to leave anything out for whatever reason.

Innumerable are sentient beings, I vow to save them all.
Inexhaustible are our deluded passions, I vow to extinguish them all.
Immeasurable are the Dharma gates, I vow to enter them all.
Unsurpassed are the Buddha's teaching, vow to master them all.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 24-01-2018, 02:40 PM
slash112 slash112 is offline
Knower
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sunny Scotland
Posts: 163
  slash112's Avatar
Funny you say that, when I repeat the vows I automatically whisper "all" at the end in my mind. I'm gunna solidify that actually. Thanks for pointing that out!

Reminds me of my original vow to myself when I went totally nuts and ended up in mental hospital. I kept saying "every person.... every person... EVERY person!". My entire trip (it was like dreaming while awake) was based around me wanting to save every soul.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24-01-2018, 03:43 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,954
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
Westernised, clumsy, New Agey, long-winded, non-poetic.
There is no reason to use that.

What is lacking in most other versions quoted here is the word 'all' at the end of every line.
There are no exceptions, the job is not done until every single line item is done in it entirety. There is no option to leave anything out for whatever reason.

Innumerable are sentient beings, I vow to save them all.
Inexhaustible are our deluded passions, I vow to extinguish them all.
Immeasurable are the Dharma gates, I vow to enter them all.
Unsurpassed are the Buddha's teaching, vow to master them all.



It's beautiful, spoken from a man who has dedicated his life from the age of sixteen to others, actions speak louder than words.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 24-01-2018, 04:50 PM
blossomingtree blossomingtree is offline
Suspended
Ascender
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 940
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slash112
I'm undergoing a transformation at the moment. For the past 6 months I've been in a cocoon, transfiguring myself into the butterfly I want to be. I have never known exactly what kind of person I want to be, but since enlightenment came into my life a year ago, I have known that I wanted to embody it AND share it. But the details have been beyond me. I've just been looking at everything and picking things up that look nice on me.

The Boddhisattva vows have come unexpectedly into my life, thanks to you, and they are already serving a big part in my transmutation. 2 nights in a row I have dreamed of the vows. I repeat the vows throughout the day. I feel the vows drive me.

I am starting to more clearly see the person I want to become, as I become it. I've still got a ways to go before I'm really on a roll, but things are taking nice shape. I just had to post this, because I had a sudden full appreciation for it.

I actually can't thank you enough!

One time, after months of intensive practice, I walked into the washroom and heard the Four Great Vows - it sounded like angels singing. I never found out what it was, but it was very beautiful.

BT

PS You're welcome - I didn't do much - we all help each other in equal measure. And in the case of Buddhism, no-one can give you what you don't already have.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums