Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-12-2017, 05:42 AM
Shivani Devi Shivani Devi is offline
Master
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,556
  Shivani Devi's Avatar
With the population of this planet exploding out to almost 8 billion and with more people being interested in 'all things spiritual' due to an increased population alone; there are many more 'gurus' and 'teachers' and 'adepts' and 'blog writers' and 'spiritually opinionated' people who think/know they have 'seen the truth' and who also think their way is the right/only way than EVER before, in the whole history of the human race!

A Youtube search will reveal them all...millions and millions of them!

I was interested in a special program to cure my neurological seizures, caused by a kundalini awakening.

I looked at maybe a dozen videos "repair damaged nerves NOW...let me tell you" and "100% guaranteed cure for epilepsy" and "Boost your brainpower to convey electrical signals better"...yep, I watched many of these.

What they were, were just spoken videos in length from 30-45 minutes each stating what causes the condition, stating about their own personal lives and how they have developed a multi-million dollar corporation from nothing and then at the END of it, tell you about their own CD/program that costs $100- $200 to 'cure' the 'incurable'...yep, the whole thing was a bloody sales pitch - a half-hour long advertisment that did nothing to address what the title claimed the content of the video could do!...what a load of unmitigated rubbish!

So, with all of these "gurus" and with all of these "teachers" and with all of the "fakes on the spiritual money-go-round"...a lot of this 'spiritual stuff' is all lumped together within the online proliferation of mumbo-jumbo existing about it: "my 'guru said THIS'...'well, MY guru said that YOUR guru is a fraud and not to believe it"..."Well, MY guru SAID that your guru would say that because your guru is jealous that MY guru has twice as many followers as YOURS does" and on and on it goes...is it any wonder that many people go "screw the whole LOT of it! It is ALL a load of bull! So, I'm just gonna do what I do and follow nobody!" and THEN, they are on the 'outer' with everybody who does follow a guru, a tradition or a paradigm.

Back in the past, in the 'dark ages' and without global communications...without the internet, without publishing companies, without getting your idea 'out there' for the masses to reap whatever rewards/benefits come your way, there was NONE of this! Teachers were teachers, students were students who either meditated, taught, did their own thing and that is how it was.

So, it becomes easy to see, by comparison, the true nature of Maya or Illusion at work in regards.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:59 AM
hallow hallow is offline
Master
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The northwoods of the U.S.
Posts: 1,324
  hallow's Avatar
There are "real" teachers. But the real ones often not obvious in your face or about marketing skeems. Heres an example, i work with disabled people, its in my job description to teach them daily living skills. But! These people taught me more than i could ever teach them. I've learned to fallow my path, i am not following following blind i receive a lot of guidance along the way sometimes its obvious sometimes its not. I love life to much to completely shut out any part of it.
__________________
If you believe in yourself. The rest will fallow
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Shivani Devi Shivani Devi is offline
Master
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,556
  Shivani Devi's Avatar
As unfortunate as it is, there are also many of us who have been very deeply conditioned and ingrained to believe that everything out there in the material world is only designed to make us part with either our money and/or spiritual autonomy and once this has its grips around one's psyche, there's no easy way of breaking free...especially when it is being constantly reinforced through mass marketing and advertisments.

I ended up putting adblock on my Google Chrome last night...At first, a few years ago, when Youtube allowed ads, there was only one at the beginning of a segment and if the segment went for longer than 30 minutes, there was one half way through.

Last night, I watched a video that went for 20 minutes and there were SIX!!! SIX advertisments!!! through it and that was enough for me to go "Right, that's IT...adblock time!"

I can imagine it getting to the stage where there'll be like 5 minutes of advertising, one minute of actual content, followed by another 5 minutes of advertising...followed by another minute of actual content...and also, ad-hackers will work around the blocking programs of the time...until people say "what a stupid thing the Internet is". lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 AM
hallow hallow is offline
Master
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The northwoods of the U.S.
Posts: 1,324
  hallow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
As unfortunate as it is, there are also many of us who have been very deeply conditioned and ingrained to believe that everything out there in the material world is only designed to make us part with either our money and/or spiritual autonomy and once this has its grips around one's psyche, there's no easy way of breaking free...especially when it is being constantly reinforced through mass marketing and advertisments.

I ended up putting adblock on my Google Chrome last night...At first, a few years ago, when Youtube allowed ads, there was only one at the beginning of a segment and if the segment went for longer than 30 minutes, there was one half way through.

Last night, I watched a video that went for 20 minutes and there were SIX!!! SIX advertisments!!! through it and that was enough for me to go "Right, that's IT...adblock time!"

I can imagine it getting to the stage where there'll be like 5 minutes of advertising, one minute of actual content, followed by another 5 minutes of advertising...followed by another minute of actual content...and also, ad-hackers will work around the blocking programs of the time...until people say "what a stupid thing the Internet is". lol
know exactly what you mean! I pay very little attention to the garbage out there i just have no use for it. I know that way of thinking can sound cold but...... wish you the best.
__________________
If you believe in yourself. The rest will fallow
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Busby Busby is offline
Ascender
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 791
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Still we do need some sort of guidance. As far as I can see ideally we would come to be guided from within, but that's a lot trickier to set up than just blindly submitting to a dominant spiritual opinion.

Each of us is completely equipped to find our individual ways to the reason we are here. At the moment there are 8billion individuals finding their way. All of them different. There are no guides, there are only those who profess their own experiences and look upon them as being the 'truth'.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 PM
naturesflow naturesflow is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: In my cocoon.
Posts: 6,750
  naturesflow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
Can everyone you meet be a teacher in a way? I've learned from negative what not to be,do ,or think. From others mistakes they didn't even know they made.


Yep. Life is the teacher itself when and where we look and notice.

Some of us notice more, some less, some don't even notice, most just get on with their lives and live it.

Even as one might choose the path of spirituality, where they focus on things beyond this earth realm, life will keep pulling you back into it to live in some way and grow through what is here and now..
__________________
“God’s one and only voice are Silence.” ~ Herman Melville

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Kioma Kioma is offline
Guide
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 606
 
"I always wanted to be a guru. What I really mean is, that I just wanted my voice to be heard, accepted, listened to considerately, as if it mattered, was important to somebody, helpful to others. In a way, that is everyone's ideal, isn't it? But when that doesn't happen, 'guru' then becomes the derogatory term for the person who has apparently somehow prevented us from becoming a 'guru' ourselves."

~Jyotir, 2012
__________________


Willing to experience aloneness,
I discover connection everywhere;

Turning to face my fear,
I meet the warrior who lives within me;

Opening to my loss and pain and ignorance,
I remember who I am and what I'm here for.

Surrendering into emptiness,
I find fullness without end.

Each condition I flee from pursues me,
Each condition I welcome transforms me

and becomes itself transformed
into the blessing it always was.

~Jennifer Welwood~
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 13-12-2017, 05:37 AM
Shivani Devi Shivani Devi is offline
Master
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,556
  Shivani Devi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioma
"I always wanted to be a guru. What I really mean is, that I just wanted my voice to be heard, accepted, listened to considerately, as if it mattered, was important to somebody, helpful to others. In a way, that is everyone's ideal, isn't it? But when that doesn't happen, 'guru' then becomes the derogatory term for the person who has apparently somehow prevented us from becoming a 'guru' ourselves."

~Jyotir, 2012
Following on from this, I have always wondered what it is that makes two people who have the same knowledge and experience totally different in terms of 'guru status'.

They may write a book each...go on talk shows...have a few 'followers' and one will go on to further their 'guru career', making millions, writing more books, building temples and hospitals and having countless followers, whilst the other will flop and fail miserably.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 13-12-2017, 07:35 AM
hallow hallow is offline
Master
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The northwoods of the U.S.
Posts: 1,324
  hallow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Following on from this, I have always wondered what it is that makes two people who have the same knowledge and experience totally different in terms of 'guru status'.

They may write a book each...go on talk shows...have a few 'followers' and one will go on to further their 'guru career', making millions, writing more books, building temples and hospitals and having countless followers, whilst the other will flop and fail miserably.
The pioneer is the one who rarely gets the credit for the work. The ones who are recognized are the ones who take the work from the pioneers and market it. But thats ok, i would rather put the work in an find something. The marketer's also put there work in and no matter how the idea gets out least you can have pride in yourself in being the original one.
__________________
If you believe in yourself. The rest will fallow
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 13-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Gem Gem is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,292
  Gem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
I think there's a fine line between someone who genuinely has something that needs to be shared about spirituality and someone who just wants their opinion to be dominant.

Submitting to someone elses idea of what is right without thoroughly examining the basis of their teaching seems inherently wrong to me, I admire the Buddha saying to examine what he taught to see if it was true, not just to accept it, slavish acceptance is what the Christians and the muslims demand, I suspect Buddhists don't require slavish acceptance.

Exactly.

Quote:
Still we do need some sort of guidance. As far as I can see ideally we would come to be guided from within, but that's a lot trickier to set up than just blindly submitting to a dominant spiritual opinion.

Indeed, as the former requires truthfulness, and latter mere obedience.
__________________
.
Check out my signature.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums