Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 31-10-2017, 07:00 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,409
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Sky, by dharma I mean the truth, the path, 'the teaching'. I probably should have used another word because I wasn't referring only to the ideas taught in Buddhism, but spiritual teaching in general.

Markings, basically, the idea is that we're ALREADY aware, and when we deeply recognize that, mindfulness happens naturally and effortlessly. Of course, he goes into great detail, being a full length book. But that's the main idea in a nutshell.

BT, I was just trying to emphasize how highly I recommend the book. And I basically agree that there are no shortcuts. On the other hand, certain practices are more effective than others, although as sky noted, not every practice is right for everyone.

Thanks HS, I understand what you mean now. You will find in Buddhism that they usually use Dharma ( capital D ) for the Buddha's teachings, I will check your book later now I have a sample
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31-10-2017, 07:10 PM
blossomingtree blossomingtree is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 341
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Markings, basically, the idea is that we're ALREADY aware, and when we deeply recognize that, mindfulness happens naturally and effortlessly. Of course, he goes into great detail, being a full length book. But that's the main idea in a nutshell.

BT, I was just trying to emphasize how highly I recommend the book. And I basically agree that there are no shortcuts. On the other hand, certain practices are more effective than others, although as sky noted, not every practice is right for everyone.

It's an idea? Wow it's effortless? Go Marketing! Whatever helps you sell the books, Stephen.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31-10-2017, 07:43 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,409
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
It's an idea? Wow it's effortless? Go Marketing! Whatever helps you sell the books, Stephen.


Yes sometimes people change their names
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-2017, 04:47 AM
happy soul happy soul is offline
Seeker
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 37
 
I didn't write it. My name is David.

I just wanted to recommend it because it really helped me.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 AM
markings markings is offline
Guide
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 503
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Sky, by dharma I mean the truth, the path, 'the teaching'. I probably should have used another word because I wasn't referring only to the ideas taught in Buddhism, but spiritual teaching in general.

Markings, basically, the idea is that we're ALREADY aware, and when we deeply recognize that, mindfulness happens naturally and effortlessly. Of course, he goes into great detail, being a full length book. But that's the main idea in a nutshell.

BT, I was just trying to emphasize how highly I recommend the book. And I basically agree that there are no shortcuts. On the other hand, certain practices are more effective than others, although as sky noted, not every practice is right for everyone.
Aren't we ALREADY aware that we are ALREADY aware? Isn't that a Buddhist core idea going back centuries, if not millennia?
But then, spelling that out would not be a good marketing plot for a new book.

What really gets to me is that we use the internet, the greatest global communications system we ever had, to disseminate a huge amount of information but very little that contains some substance.

It just becomes more noise in an already noisy world.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 AM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,409
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
I didn't write it. My name is David.

I just wanted to recommend it because it really helped me.

As they only give you a little taster in a sample I can't judge this book, but from what I got it's like any other, different ways of looking at things which is what is normal, if it works for you HS that's good.

As for the Author.... he certainly has quite a good business going. I noticed his very expensive Courses & Retreats. His 'School for Awakening ' made me
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM
happy soul happy soul is offline
Seeker
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 37
 
Markings, I agree probably any sane person knows they're aware. It's more like a conscious noting. With mindfulness, you note the objects of awareness. But it may be easier to note awareness itself.

Sky, well, it's not like ANY other, it's just like SOME other books. Before reading this book I was already familiar with the teaching to 'be aware of awareness', and I knew of teachers who taught that. So yes, there's definitely similar material out there. I found this book particularly readable though.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:47 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,409
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Markings, I agree probably any sane person knows they're aware. It's more like a conscious noting. With mindfulness, you note the objects of awareness. But it may be easier to note awareness itself.

Sky, well, it's not like ANY other, it's just like SOME other books. Before reading this book I was already familiar with the teaching to 'be aware of awareness', and I knew of teachers who taught that. So yes, there's definitely similar material out there. I found this book particularly readable though.

The book is about mindfulness so it's like any other book about mindfulness, same basic ideas, that's what I meant.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-11-2017, 06:05 PM
blossomingtree blossomingtree is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 341
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
Aren't we ALREADY aware that we are ALREADY aware? Isn't that a Buddhist core idea going back centuries, if not millennia?
But then, spelling that out would not be a good marketing plot for a new book.

What really gets to me is that we use the internet, the greatest global communications system we ever had, to disseminate a huge amount of information but very little that contains some substance.

It just becomes more noise in an already noisy world.

+1

There are plenty of free Buddhist books which point simply and concisely to awareness/enlightenment.

Luang Por Sumedho in particular comes to mind: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/in...-awareness.pdf

I have nothing against books and authors but this idea that it is some new butter on a stick, or makes things "easier", is marketing intended to line the pockets of the author. Ergo, I am not a fan
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-11-2017, 06:14 PM
blossomingtree blossomingtree is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 341
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy soul
Markings, I agree probably any sane person knows they're aware. It's more like a conscious noting. With mindfulness, you note the objects of awareness. But it may be easier to note awareness itself.

Hi happy soul

Please forgive my assertion yesterday that you are the author.

I wrote hastily but I had felt that many of the phrases you referenced sounded like a marketing ploy. I use the word "ploy" because I felt that it sounds like you are saying this book introduces something new, when in fact, like sky123/markings allude to, these concepts are centuries old and there are many thousands of teachers who have spoken/written about it, some - such as from Luang Por Sumedho - who are genuinely realized/advanced teachers {a much safer bet, as there are nuances to Buddhist practice which only a genuinely realized teacher can know}.

Also, your use of the phrase "notes awareness" leads me to believe that, if this is what the author references, he is misleading in his guidance. There is no greater oxymoron in Zen Buddhism so I urge any other readers to refrain from such a great marketing book. I am glad it worked for you however.

Thanks for listening,
BT
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums