Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 14-09-2017, 12:53 PM
markings markings is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 495
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Ah well - I vigorously disagree with that - mainly because the Buddha man said repeatedly to find out every answer for yourself - each individual with questions needs to ferret out the answers instead of following blindly - even his own (the Buddha's) findings. No, no one has to throw a thing out. Jes' saying.

The Buddha man threw everything out himself. That is why he the teachers he studies with for tears and decided to discover for himself.
For himself but not 'for himself in the light of what he has learned'. Whatever is kept will contaminate the new that comes because we will tend to us it to interpret what is happening.
Learn Buddhism, and not Buddhism interpreted through Christianity or whatever else.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14-09-2017, 05:20 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,181
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
The Buddha man threw everything out himself. That is why he the teachers he studies with for tears and decided to discover for himself.
For himself but not 'for himself in the light of what he has learned'. Whatever is kept will contaminate the new that comes because we will tend to us it to interpret what is happening.
Learn Buddhism, and not Buddhism interpreted through Christianity or whatever else.


If you do a little research markings you will see that the Buddha did not throw away everything from his former religion.
Buddha's teachings contain many ancient Vedic beliefs.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15-09-2017, 07:09 AM
markings markings is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 495
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
If you do a little research markings you will see that the Buddha did not throw away everything from his former religion.
Buddha's teachings contain many ancient Vedic beliefs.
So when exploring something entirely new you, and clearly some others, belief that it is a good foundation and well thought out strategy to start with something old.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Silver Silver is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 21,526
  Silver's Avatar
Markings, Buddhism isn't a 'belief' or a 'belief system'. It's not belief in any sort of god or icon or token figurehead. Not even Buddha wanted people to recognize him as a leader.

You can't dissolve your individual personal experiences. There has never been anything that even came close to what you're saying - to uproot any prior opinions, thoughts, etc. You're seeming to make it sound like some sort of cult and it's not...Buddhism is not a cult, but any 'belief' can be used to draw people in to take advantage of them. That's why the Buddha always said NOT to follow anyone or anything blindly. Bottom line. What's the big deal with that and how can anyone think they can clear out 'the old'? That just sounds cultish.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 15-09-2017, 08:05 AM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,181
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
So when exploring something entirely new you, and clearly some others, belief that it is a good foundation and well thought out strategy to start with something old.

It worked for the Buddha didn't it...
Do a little research markings, it will help you understand.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15-09-2017, 08:19 AM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,181
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Markings, Buddhism isn't a 'belief' or a 'belief system'. It's not belief in any sort of god or icon or token figurehead. Not even Buddha wanted people to recognize him as a leader.

You can't dissolve your individual personal experiences. There has never been anything that even came close to what you're saying - to uproot any prior opinions, thoughts, etc. You're seeming to make it sound like some sort of cult and it's not...Buddhism is not a cult, but any 'belief' can be used to draw people in to take advantage of them. That's why the Buddha always said NOT to follow anyone or anything blindly. Bottom line. What's the big deal with that and how can anyone think they can clear out 'the old'? That just sounds cultish.


I understand Buddhism to be a belief system but not blind beliefs. I would say it's more about knowing before believing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15-09-2017, 10:24 AM
markings markings is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 495
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I understand Buddhism to be a belief system but not blind beliefs. I would say it's more about knowing before believing.
How do you know that you know?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15-09-2017, 11:02 AM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,181
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
How do you know that you know?



Well experience is a good way also thinking your way through, arguing and rationalizing and if you create something yourself then it's true to you.

You have beliefs in Buddha's teachings when you try them out yourself and realize that they work, then they become your beliefs.... Buddhism does not require blind faith.

Buddha kept a lot of his old beliefs ' Ancient Vedic ' but the ones that didn't work for him he dropped and found his new system.... that is why Hindus and Buddhist have some beliefs that are the same. It wasn't just throw out the old and bring in the new.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Jeremy Bong Jeremy Bong is offline
Master
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 3,995
  Jeremy Bong's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I understand Buddhism to be a belief system but not blind beliefs. I would say it's more about knowing before believing.


It seems that you are right. I paste this quote from Wikipedia:

[the belief that there is an afterlife and not everything ends with death, that Buddha taught and followed a successful path to nirvana; according to Peter Harvey, the right view is held in Buddhism as a belief in the Buddhist principles of karma and rebirth, and the importance of the Four Noble Truths and the True ...]

Buddhism - Wikipedia

Just to find," Buddhism is a belief".
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 15-09-2017, 11:05 AM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,181
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bong
It seems that you are right. I paste this quote from Wikipedia:

[the belief that there is an afterlife and not everything ends with death, that Buddha taught and followed a successful path to nirvana; according to Peter Harvey, the right view is held in Buddhism as a belief in the Buddhist principles of karma and rebirth, and the importance of the Four Noble Truths and the True ...]

Buddhism - Wikipedia

Just to find," Buddhism is a belief".

Yes, thanks Jeremy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums