Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27-05-2017, 05:16 PM
A human Being A human Being is offline
Master
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 2,054
  A human Being's Avatar
What are people's views on St John's Wort?

I've been experiencing a lot of anxiety at times recently and I had an especially difficult day today after a fairly unpleasant encounter with a paranoid schizophrenic (he's the cousin of a friend I was visiting, I had no idea he'd be there). I didn't hang around any longer than I had to, but it still shook me up pretty badly and it brought a lot of anxiety right to the surface. Anyway, so I went to the pharmacy and asked what the lady recommended for anxiety and she suggested St John's Wort (she also suggested a trip to my GP if that doesn't do the trip, but I'll see how it goes - I want to avoid prescription drugs if I possibly can, anyway), so I'm just interested to hear of people's experiences with it. How effective was it for you? How soon did it take you to notice a difference?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Tobi Tobi is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,972
  Tobi's Avatar
I don't know if my reply will be helpful enough for you as I didn't take St John's Wort for depression/anxiety. But during menopause I found I was waking in the night and too early in the morning for no apparent reason. For one or two nights it was bearable though tiring. When it started to happen every night it was torture. Sleep has always been my saving grace! lol
I took St John's Wort (among other things) but I really did sense that St J W helped me tremendously to get a little more natural sleep -although it is NOT listed as a "sedative" at all. I felt it re-balanced me and I was extremely grateful.
There are some contra-indications with St J W so please do get advice or do some research. One effect is that it can make the skin very sensitive to sunlight. And of course it may not combine safely with other medications.
__________________
A Dog's Life After Death
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29-05-2017, 10:28 AM
A human Being A human Being is offline
Master
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 2,054
  A human Being's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
I don't know if my reply will be helpful enough for you as I didn't take St John's Wort for depression/anxiety. But during menopause I found I was waking in the night and too early in the morning for no apparent reason. For one or two nights it was bearable though tiring. When it started to happen every night it was torture. Sleep has always been my saving grace! lol
I took St John's Wort (among other things) but I really did sense that St J W helped me tremendously to get a little more natural sleep -although it is NOT listed as a "sedative" at all. I felt it re-balanced me and I was extremely grateful.
There are some contra-indications with St J W so please do get advice or do some research. One effect is that it can make the skin very sensitive to sunlight. And of course it may not combine safely with other medications.
Thanks for your input :) That's interesting, actually, because my sleep's been disturbed for a while now (been experiencing ever-more energy recently, I don't generally feel tired but it's still a little annoying waking up between 4 and 5 every morning), and it hasn't helped in that respect, thus far. Glad it did the trick for you though :)

I use an inhaler but the pharmacist said that shouldn't be a problem. I've been taking SJW for a couple of days now and I do think it's helped a little, though I do also wonder if it's the placebo effect; I'll keep taking it, though, see how I get on with it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31-05-2017, 10:43 PM
soul.cimmerian soul.cimmerian is offline
Pathfinder
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 88
  soul.cimmerian's Avatar
Quote:
How effective was it for you? How soon did it take you to notice a difference?


Hi, I took it about 10 years ago and it helped my depression immediately but for only a few weeks. Then I became so moody I had to stop taking it, so I'm not sure what happened there. Best of luck with it. I dislike prescription drugs too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2017, 10:19 AM
A human Being A human Being is offline
Master
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 2,054
  A human Being's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul.cimmerian
Hi, I took it about 10 years ago and it helped my depression immediately but for only a few weeks. Then I became so moody I had to stop taking it, so I'm not sure what happened there. Best of luck with it. I dislike prescription drugs too.
That's interesting, I can be moody enough as it is so maybe I should stop right now Does seem to be having a positive effect, though :)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2017, 05:43 AM
RedEmbers RedEmbers is offline
Deactivated Account
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 1,567
  RedEmbers's Avatar
I found it ineffective for my anxiety unfortunately.

I used to buy a strong (pure) peppermint and licorice tea though which calmed me right down.
It was almost like a subtle sedative without making me tired.
__________________
The land is in my heart and my heart is in the land.

Ginuwine safetea :)

"We are that to which we pray"... Jewel.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Golden Eagle Golden Eagle is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 357
 
St. Johns Wort extract , Rhodiola Root Extract , Lemon Balm , Peppermint, Catnip, Yerba Mate , Valerian Root , Scullcap ......... these will aid far better than anti-depressants ~! As they strengthen and not just treat symptoms.

Simplify ~ Simplify ~ Simplify ~

Daily Walks in Nature ...... just get up and do it consistently each day .... 3 hours if you can ~ or work your way up to 3 hours if you cannot immediately.

The Secret to completely OVERCOMING anxiety is WITHIN you ..... not outside you. Talk to your Divine Source as you walk in Nature ...... IT wants you to know IT not merely believe in it. though it is INVISIBLE ..... the results can be seen , experienced and felt.

Eat easy to digest Raw Foods ..... at least 50% of the diet should be Raw to get the benefits ~
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Pagandell Pagandell is offline
Guide
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London.
Posts: 643
  Pagandell's Avatar
Fish BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
I've been experiencing a lot of anxiety at times recently and I had an especially difficult day today after a fairly unpleasant encounter with a paranoid schizophrenic (he's the cousin of a friend I was visiting, I had no idea he'd be there). I didn't hang around any longer than I had to, but it still shook me up pretty badly and it brought a lot of anxiety right to the surface. Anyway, so I went to the pharmacy and asked what the lady recommended for anxiety and she suggested St John's Wort (she also suggested a trip to my GP if that doesn't do the trip, but I'll see how it goes - I want to avoid prescription drugs if I possibly can, anyway), so I'm just interested to hear of people's experiences with it. How effective was it for you? How soon did it take you to notice a difference?

A god send, life saver, magic herb, really
__________________
All are part of the evolution the unfolding the oneness that god is.

Quote Spirit Guide Sparrow
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums