Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Islam Faith

Old 30-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Newbie ;)

Muslim Woman Dress

Islam holds women in very high esteem and the Islamic rules of covering are intended to protect and guard her dignity and honour. The word used most often in regard to covering is hijab. All qualified Muslim scholars throughout the history of Islam agree that fulfilling the conditions of the dress code is an obligation on all Muslim men and women.
Old 22-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeel Shah
Islam holds women in very high esteem and the Islamic rules of covering are intended to protect and guard her dignity and honour. The word used most often in regard to covering is hijab. All qualified Muslim scholars throughout the history of Islam agree that fulfilling the conditions of the dress code is an obligation on all Muslim men and women.

Dignity means the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect.
Honour means personal integrity; allegiance to moral principles.

Does an Islamic woman need to be covered up in order to be honored and respected?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:32 AM
Master
It's not a prison if it is a choice. In my case the only reason I do not wear a hijab is because I don't want to be a target of hatred. I find it empowering to believe that I am still beautiful even when I cover up. Cultivating the idea that a man should desire me for my inner beauty and not my physical.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 Cents
It's not a prison if it is a choice. In my case the only reason I do not wear a hijab is because I don't want to be a target of hatred. I find it empowering to believe that I am still beautiful even when I cover up. Cultivating the idea that a man should desire me for my inner beauty and not my physical.

My friend, I would love to share with you that I have really enjoyed ALL of your posts on your journey with Islam that I have read thus far in this category.

You embody the True Essence of Islam, the real spirit of a seeker of peace. Your life attitude is refreshing and inspirational. My well wishes to you and your family, 002 Cents.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Guide

Quote:
It might be a choice in the West. Or are you claiming that it is also a choice for woman in countries like Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan under the Taliban, etc.?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
It might be a choice in the West. Or are you claiming that it is also a choice for woman in countries like Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan under the Taliban, etc.?

I'm not sure why this is a question. There shouldn't be confusion in the statement "if it's a choice". Either you do it because it is a choice or you do it because it is a norm or you do it reluctantly out of a sense of obligation or in some cases fear.

In my thinking, like with much larger matters like fidelity, if it's not done because that is what is in your heart then the act itself doesn't mean much.

But I do live in the west and in my experience the fear is not out of what will happen if I don't wear the hijab, but what will happen if I do. And I say this as a convert, but largely in the west people seem quite content with cultivating hatred. I run into so many people in the Islamic community who have stories of people mistreating them because of their faith, even a 15 year old girl has a story of a grown man getting in her face and yelling at her calling her a terrorist. As though all humanity is lost because they are no longer regarded as human. The mosque I attend has even been attacked with moltov cocktails on more than one occasion.

To which I will ask, however righteous people feel their endevour is against Islam and Muslims, what is screaming in the face of a 15 year old girl going to accomplish? These people aren't out there fighting terrorism they are initiating attacks on those who are just attempting to live their lives in peace.

I was raised in a Christian American family. It doesn't get more "western" than that. I know every ugliness that thrives in our culture. And I promise you, sitting around juding an entire group of people off the worst of their conduct isn't any better when it' done by a westerner than when it's done by an easterner.

In parting I leave you with this quote from Thich Nhat Hanh as he has already summed it up perfectly,

"Our enemies are not man, but intolerance, fanaticism, dictatorship, cupidity, hatred and discrimination which lie within the heart of man."
Old 07-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Guide

Quote:
I'm not sure why this is a question. There shouldn't be confusion in the statement "if it's a choice".
It is my question because in many Islamic countries it is NOT a choice.
To adhere to norms, culture, obligations are not choices if other options without repercussions do not exist.

I belief that most woman in Islamic countries do not want to wear Islamic dress but prefer to wear Western dress, including revealing dress, if they would have a choice worthy of the label 'choice'.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:23 AM
Master
You do not get to assume the likes and wishes of those you do not know. Nor is it anymore right for you to impose upon them this idea that exposure is what they should want and or like.

Surely I live in a society where I can dress as I please and even still choose to cover my body. So don't assume you know.

It is no more a prison to adopt a culture of modesty than it is to wear underwear or use toilet paper. Are you a prisoner to abide by a dress code at work or school? Are people prisoners because they don't get to run around in the nude?

Furthermore, if there is a battle to be waged in defense of those who don't have a choice, that battle is not yours. It is theirs.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Master

Most people are prisoners of their social conditioning. They understand (really understand) their rituals and behaviour no more than a 1 coin understands the workings of an international bank.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:21 PM
Master
I think there is great truth in every post here, and from all sides.
It's true many women in various countries have no choice on their dress and movements and general autonomy...and many are very much aware of it.

It's also true that there is something to be said for dignity and reserve in dress and manner...I think long dress and scarves of many cultures (whether Muslim or not) are often quite beautiful and are a refreshing change from the somewhat oppressive display of horseflesh and spandex ...IF they are not mandated and if they are truly a person's choice. I personally am strongly drawn to the need for dignity and reserve, generally...in all things.

BTW I don't understand the title of this thread..."Muslim Woman Dress".
Shouldn't this be "Muslim Dress for men and women"?

The passages I truly resonate with in the Koran clearly say all of the substantive obligations fall on both men and women alike...there is no discrimination proscribed.

Quote:
"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest. That is purer for them. Lo! God is Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their chests, and not to reveal their adornment." (Quran 24:30)
Quote:
Indeed, the Muslim men and Muslim women, the believing men and believing women, the obedient men and obedient women, the truthful men and truthful women, the patient men and patient women, the humble men and humble women, the charitable men and charitable women, the fasting men and fasting women, the men who guard their private parts and the women who do so, and the men who remember Allah often and the women who do so - for them Allah has prepared forgiveness and a great reward. (Quran 33:35)

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke