Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 21-01-2017, 03:33 AM
Experiencer

Sorry folks, I’ve been enthralled with the inauguration. Such pomp and pageantry (in a very dignified way of course) so I haven’t been close to my computer.

I haven’t tried Qi Gong, but if you want to drop a link here, I’d be interested in looking at it. I do yoga regularly (but not nearly enough of course). But I’d take a look at it thanks.

I’m a little different from you folks here on the issue of the videos. When I chose the vegan lifestyle, it was because of those videos and they also keep me focused and determined to live in such a way that my health is benefited and a good example of what is possible with this style of nutrition. They’re in my mind forever

I also watch because in some small way I feel like I am a witness for them, that they are someone and that someone cared even in those awful moments. Other folks who watch, do it for the same reasons. Like all the people who are bearing witness at the Pig Saves that are popping up everywhere. Or the lady who went to court for giving water to pigs in the middle of a summer heat wave cared enough to bear witness and face the courts for her love.

It’s also encouraged me to study out the issues that have to do with them, environment, health and the ethical issues have clarified in my mind and heart. Understanding them makes me a better spokesperson and educator about them. Not that I’m saying I’m an accredited teacher, I’m not, but we can still all be teachers as long as we know the subject whatever it is. So when I see stories in Huffington Post about animal ag and its effect on the environment, etc., I can often add to the information, share links, discuss and share more info…….

By helping educate people, change can happen and is slowly happening. Case in point would be the impact on SeaWorlds orca shows. People have been working on that for years but finally some changes. Then too, there’s starting to be a reduction in the amounts of meat and dairy that are being consumed both in North America and apparently in the UK. People are becoming aware of things that go on and they’re voting with their dollars. Israel is also having a thriving vegan community starting, another group amongst Palestinians and throughout the EU. And we’re all hoping one day for heaven to be here for ALL OF US. That’s the beauty that I’m hoping for one day.
Old 21-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Master
I think the same. Well said, Debrah.
Old 21-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
I think the same. Well said, Debrah.
That being said, let me add that I think there are different 'ways' to 'heaven'. In the case of 'yoga' which means union (presumably with That Which Is All That Is) for example, there's the 'path' of Hatha (physical breathe and posture) Yoga, the 'path' of Karma (right action) Yoga, the 'path' of Bhatkti (adorational devotion) Yoga, the 'path' of Jnana (comprehensive knowledge) Yoga, etc.

The path (or combination of paths) that's functionally 'best', and therefore 'right', for anyone depends on what best suits his or her personality configuration.

Many see Jesus as having primarily been a Karma 'Yogi'. Merriam Wesbter's say that the word Yoga has a Sanskrit derivation: "literally, yoking, from yunakti: he yokes; akin to Latin jungere to join."

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew Ch.11) were Jesus' words relating to this (I think).
Old 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
If we don't have to eat animals - if NOT eating them is actually healthier - WHY ARE WE KILLING AND EATING THEM?! Had the identical epiphany years ago. Sky-opening-up-and-light-shining-down sort of thing.
I have often thought that the fundamental issue in terms of 'do no harm' etc. is the degree of the 'sentience' that is 'cannibalized' (all non-plant life on Earth lives by 'eating' life - what is normally thought of as life that is). Even 'vegetarians' 'kill' the plants they eat. Fruit-arians and nut-arians don't, but I don't 'see' the possibility of that becoming the human 'norm'.

Here's something thought-provoking along the above lines: https://www.facebook.com/InTheKnowIn...7136987245622/
Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Master
Thumbs up Veganism and Meditation...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
I haven’t tried Qi Gong, but if you want to drop a link here, I’d be interested in looking at it. I do yoga regularly (but not nearly enough of course). But I’d take a look at it thanks.
Cool Debrah. Do you also meditate with your yoga? I'm curious about your results because I can imagine a vegan body would be particularly well suited for it. @David too.. curious to hear any findings.. Personally I know it works nicely with vegetarianism, having a lighter body.. but veganism should work even better if we follow eastern thoughts on diet (although they have a heavy milk BIAS... )

And we need to look into our consumption to see where our plants come from. Ideally, all fruit, veg, and bean production should be organically produced.. or better yet, ecologically, allowing space for wildflowers and insects. I also agree that this is about the degree of sentience..
It's not good for veg people to feel indifferent about trees being felt or wildflowers being needlessly picked. The ethics are a never ending 'practice'.. one can't stand still with this.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Experiencer

Hello Altair, I don't come here so often so I'm sorry that I failed to notice your comment and question. How rude of me eh? Apologies to you.

As far as yoga, just the fact that I'm slim makes the yoga easier and yes, I'm still trying to make it a meditative practice. But those little neurons in my head keep buzzing and popping and thoughts keep coming to interfere with the focus, but like everything in life, good days and bad days right?

Ideals are wonderful but I think for the number of people on this planet, pragmatism must rule. The days of the little tribe-family, living amongst the trees and grasslands are largely gone, so it's acres of broccoli and beans instead.

Here's my thinking on the subject of 'killing plants' to consume. From a Christian perspective, in the beginning we were given the plants as our food. There's 'permission' there. To be given permission, but restricted to that which is lowest on the 'awareness' graph seems a reasonable thing to do. While I believe the atoms of everything in the Universe communicate with one another via energy pulses, at the same time plants don't have nerve endings or brains that would allow for them to feel pain and suffering in the same way that creatures who've been blessed with those, would. I'm thinking that if anything, the act of say, picking a leaf or pruning a branch results more likely in a simple change of hydraulic pressure within them and if anything, further changes within would be more along the lines of a mechanical act so to speak. An effort to prevent a continued loss of fluids.

Considering that according to a few experiments, even water/ice seems to react to our moods, it seems to me that it's a given that plants would have some sort of reaction to harvesting. But as you've suggested Altair, the fact that the awareness of plants seems to exist (but is sensibly, quite limited) it's also important not to be wasteful and frivolous when it comes to our using them.

I think when whomever or whatever created this universe and set everything in motion, the idea was that we should live in harmony and balance with no hurt to one another. Which would explain the directive to eat plants (lowest sentience, lowest appreciation of suffering, etc.). And predators like wolves and lions were put in place simply as controlling agents so that the world wouldn't get chewed bared.

Unfortunately, we humans seem to have tipped all the balances and now live in a cauldron of imbalances and crisis' that serve to make the news both 'interesting' and horrifying . (I don't know how much sense that all makes, its' very early morning here and I'm just having my first coffee of the morning so the old noggin is still a little fuzzy)