Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 24-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Master
Your Personal Altar

Namaste.

If you have one, what do you have on it? I'm curious.

Mine:

I have a beautiful ceramic and stone statue of Mother Kali, (about 18 inches tall) she's in very fine detail and the colour of Her is beautiful. I got her from an Indian Bazaar in Sydney, during a one-off trip there.

I have a lovely brass statue of Shiva Nataraja that's about 12 inches in diameter and a smaller Shiva Nataraja that's carved from stone and comes from Nepal.

There's a rather large Ganesha that was a rescued 'garden ornament' and lovingly cleaned and restored to former glory.

Then there's a 3D lenticular picture of Shiva about A5 size and it seems to jump off the wall, it's so cool. I got that in an Indian spice store...I went in to get a drink and I just saw it there...it was meant to be.

I also have a very beautiful picture of Durga riding the Tiger in A4 size and framed in gold leaf...It was given to me by a friend and it is special.

I also have a ceramic statue of Quan Yin that I've had ever since I can remember and I don't know where it came from, but it's done in the very old style of Chinese sculpture and a Thai Buddha given to me by my niece who thought I was a Buddhist and would therefore appreciate it.

I have a Bhairava Yantra - a plaque to the ruler of Saturn with all these sacred inscriptions upon it.

There is a huge black candle - I like lighting black candles, as the flame arises out of darkness - or awareness comes out of ignorance - it signifies Kali again. I sometimes do trataka on it.

At the moment, there's also a crystal vase of white lilies, some almonds, a copy of the Shiva Kavacham and my Rudraksha...

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 24-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Guide

It's a room. I built a 4 foot wood on wood Nataraja silhouette for the main wall. It sort of dominates, and its in the style of my favorite Nataraja temple in real life. The shrine is on tile, and it just has Siva, Ganesha, and Murugan on it. Other stuff is scattered hither thither on walls, a bookshelf, all the puja articles etc.
Old 25-12-2016, 03:17 AM
Master
That sounds really nice, Vinayaka. Very simplistic and effective.

Mine isn't a room, but an old hollowed-out wardrobe with shelves in it and a separate desk attached so I can light candles and incense without risking burning the whole house down. lol

It's in the corner of my bedroom and I like it there, so I can gaze at it every night before I fall asleep. It's quite soothing and relaxing.

I still love my statue of Kali...I'll see if I can find a picture of a similar one:

Old 25-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Guide

'Effective' being the operative and subject to individual's taste word. Still some days its too 'effective'.
Old 25-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Master

My altar is a standard desk. In the center but towards the rear is an encapsulated plaque with images of Gaṇeśa representing eight Gaṇeśa shrines in Western India. To its left I have a picture of Rāma family and a frame with a photo of Jogeśvarī devī at a shrine in India. To the right, I have a framed photo of Siddhivināyaka from a temple in India and picture of Śiva, Pārvatī and child Gaṇeśa.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Experiencer
https://flic.kr/p/SwBnyN
Behind the box there are also a rosary, mala ? Other pics of Jesus.
I just thought altar is as a workspace and also put salt and a glass to remember to bath spiritually
Old 03-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Master

Very nice!