Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 15-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Paci Bera

Question Shaman? You?

Who of you members of this forums claim (frankly) to be a Shaman???????
(No matter if female or male)

It's up to you to respond !
Old 15-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Experiencer

I'm not a Shaman, but I do know someone of that kind ... he's an amazing person and yes he's not white. He's a mystic with elements of Louisiana Voodoo and all sorts of elements in his "magic" ... tho it's not really magic it's animisis and stuff like that
Old 15-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Master

I would say shamanic elements, from previous incarnations perhaps as my soul soars when I meet with the shamanic "stuff" or some of it.
Old 20-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Experiencer
Well I feel like I've been a shaman - medicine healer in a past life and I am also one in this life.. I have to learn how to manifest my potential though..

Why?
Old 20-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Ivy

What qualifies a person to be a shaman?
Old 20-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Am I right with this? This is what I always thought a Shaman was...

A Shaman does not decide to become a Shaman. You don't just decide to become one. A Shaman is chosen to be one, by the spirits.
There is the survival of some life-threatening event -either a near death experience, or a grave illness, something pretty serious. This could also be a mental illness, or breakdown, so I have heard.
The survivor receives the spirits' help in overcoming this event, and gains the confidence of the spirits, and partakes in spiritual knowledge and awareness, may be able to access knowledge of healing etc. or restoring balance and health to people, animals, or the community, by asking the spirits to help. He/she is a go-between for the spirits and spiritual realms, and the people/tribe/community.
He/she then lives in service, using skills gained for the good of the community, group, Earth life in general, etc.
This is a life of self sacrifice. No romantic "trip" at all.
Old 21-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Paci Bera

Not really, Tobi. You forgot something:

A Shaman can either decide to become one or he/she is chosen to be one (by the spirits or other spiritual powers)

Shamans mostly experience(d) their initiation in caves or dark, lonely places where they face(d) "rebirth". They do not die, however, spirits come and, for instance, cut their body into pieces and then fix it ( or also give crystals or any powers to the newborn Shaman). The duration of the initiation is different: hours, days... (some claim a couple of years) were the participant is unconscious.
This "cave initiation" can be seen as a near death experience as the Shaman feels pain and torture. He recovers later.

People can become Shamans in all ages. In some ancient Asian cultures, the chosen Shamans were chiefly old and ill persons. When you are seriously ill, you get so close to the spirit world.

All the other things you wrote are correct apart from one point I just cannot agree with you, Tobi.
A life of a Shaman is no life of self sacrifice. Not really.
A Shaman helps himself as much as his tribe/family/community.
Shamans are necessary for humanbeings as they are the only connection to spirit world. People, who really understand signs from spirits, who have the ability to heal and help.
I have to confess, there are certainly people who do not enjoy to be one, but most do!
You happen to experience great journeys, get to know wonderful spirits and places.

Anyway, that is what I know and believe.

Greetings and peace
Old 21-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Master
Cunning Folk is a shamanic path and has been since neolithic times in Europe. We still are !
The "rebirth" ceremony was practiced by Bronze/Iron Age Celts. A candidate for Initiation re-enters the "womb of the Mother" [ in Celtic Britain this was a long barrow tomb ]. The candidate was to enact a symbolic death in the darkness, then wait for a Vision of Illumination - an expression of the unity of the cosmos. Afterwards they would crawl out of the tunnel at the front of the barrow [representing the birth canal and the symbolic rebirth from the Mother. In symbolism, this is represented by a double spiral - the inward spiral being the death spiral to the point of initiation and renewal. The outward spiral being Rebirth.

Last edited by norseman : 21-04-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 21-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Experiencer
Sounds great Paci,

How would one who decided for himself to become one start?

Spend time in nature?
Old 21-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Suspended
Why do you need a Shaman? Why are you reaching out for one?