Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 03-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Seeker

Meditate on God

Hi,
I have very little experience with meditation; What does it mean to "meditate on God", for example ? Is it to hold your idea of God in your mind...to focus on it, while breathing is evenly?

Is this a proper way of meditation ?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Master

Hi xmode

The simple answer is that we cannot meditate on God because God is beyond our comprehension and our senses.

Having said that, there are still meditation practices we can do.

For example, the bhakti yogi who practices devotion may take a person or an object who symbolises the Divine, and meditation becomes an act of devotion to that symbol. This is their path to union.

Or the jnana yogi who adopts a more mental approach may meditate on the mental understanding that the Atman (or the individual Self) is one with the Brahman (the Supreme Self). This is their path to union.

Or a natural mystic may take some perceived attribute of the Divine - eg love, peace, joy, etc and meditate on these qualities to become closer to God.

The Advaitist (non-dualist) may seek to know the true nature of the Self, and thus realises that there is only the Self.

The Buddhist may deny the existence of any supreme deity while still doing practices which may be similar to any of the above.

Meditation practices usually involve some type of relaxation, focus and concentration, and deep regular breathing is a part of this. We are all different and we will be drawn to whichever type of meditation resonates with us, and this may also change over the years.

Peace.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Hi xmode

The simple answer is that we cannot meditate on God because God is beyond our comprehension and our senses.

Having said that, there are still meditation practices we can do.

For example, the bhakti yogi who practices devotion may take a person or an object who symbolises the Divine, and meditation becomes an act of devotion to that symbol. This is their path to union.

Or the jnana yogi who adopts a more mental approach may meditate on the mental understanding that the Atman (or the individual Self) is one with the Brahman (the Supreme Self). This is their path to union.

Or a natural mystic may take some perceived attribute of the Divine - eg love, peace, joy, etc and meditate on these qualities to become closer to God.

The Advaitist (non-dualist) may seek to know the true nature of the Self, and thus realises that there is only the Self.

The Buddhist may deny the existence of any supreme deity while still doing practices which may be similar to any of the above.

Meditation practices usually involve some type of relaxation, focus and concentration, and deep regular breathing is a part of this. We are all different and we will be drawn to whichever type of meditation resonates with us, and this may also change over the years.

Peace.

Thank you.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Seeker

Is it proper to include atmandjali mudra while meditating ?
Old 25-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Newbie ;)

Just focus on your breathing. In, out. In, out. Feel your lungs filling up and deflating. After a while you'll get in a rhythm.

Do that long enough and God will come to you. :)
Old 26-01-2018, 04:39 AM
Suspended
Ascender

My advice: find a (genuine) tradition/lineage and practice it. The particulars don't matter so much, but listening to too many different opinions can counter one's objectives. Many others have good advice in this thread.

My 2c and best wishes.

BT
Old 26-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Badcopyinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmode
Hi,
I have very little experience with meditation; What does it mean to "meditate on God", for example ? Is it to hold your idea of God in your mind...to focus on it, while breathing is evenly?

The book of secrets list's 112 different ways to meditate on god/self, reach enlightenment. Pm me ill send it to you if you like.

There's a million ways to meditate. You can do it while driving while working while cooking while having intercourse. the possibilities are endless. Try as many ways as you can till you find your way.
Old 28-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Meditation on God?

Well, now you're talkin' my language !
Without a Guru, that may teach you exactly how to focus the Mind on
that which is Infinite and Eternal, yet, is within you...and accessible...
by yourself, I could tell you where to start !

You don't know me, so why listen to anything I have to say, tho...
...so listen to your intuition and follow what rings true for you.

There are many techniques that help calm the Mind...which is necessary.
Anything that calms or slows down thoughts is great...so I am not knocking them.
But, I would suggest a more direct route.

First, whenever you sit...your intention set is so very important.
In your heart, set the clear, sincere intention to connect with 'God'...
whatever idea you have of 'the All That Is'.
Anything else...drop it...example: to relieve stress, find an answer to a problem, find some peace...
Nope, your focus is on God Himself (Who has no gender), the Divine, the Godhead, the Creator,
Father, Higher Self, the One Consciousness that creates Universes and lies within all that exists, That Which
always was and will ever be...am I right?

So, Practice the Presence.

Sit in stillness and silence...open your mind, expand your awareness to the subtle...this is a place (the Secret Place of Psalm 91)
to not be aware of the body, thoughts or the world...
Tho, you may start becoming aware of sounds in the world not heard before, sensations not felt before...this is why it is called 'Practice'.
(Even baseball players warm up their muscles to prepare themselves.)

I would suggest later, big time, to place comfy, good earplugs in.
There will be a world of endless of sounds within, called Divine music, Music of the Spheres, Celestial Harmonies...Kabir writes about the
'unstruck strings'....you will find that within...once the thoughts are stilled...and your focus is within.

I could go on and on....but, this is a good start.
Be filled with wonder and expectation...know that this God... this profound experience
of this Spiritual Being can be experienced within beyond the mind and senses...we as humans were built for this intimacy with our Creator.

This is my experience of 44 years of deep meditation of hours and hours
and hours and hours and hours and hours of sitting in one session.

This is not a 10 minutes a day 'thing'...and during the day...keep the mind
and thoughts pure and kind.
As Paul said in Col 3:2....'..focus on the things above and not the things on the earth.'

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 30-01-2018, 03:35 AM
Each person clicks with diff things...this may be something that strikes a note with someone...
Say, you want to meditate on God...how would you do that?
Focusing on being aware of Awareness...no thoughts, not on the body ,not on the world...
Only Awareness Itself, yes...but for 2 weeks you may get a small headache.
Not so easy.

Try this...focus on that which is making your fingernails grow this second and in your sleep...
The Infinite Intelligence behind everything.
See how you do with that...it may start as more of a contemplation...that's ok, too.

I believe Ramana would approve of that technique.
Works well for me...it is not an easy practice...not for the dabbler.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 26-02-2018, 04:28 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmode
Hi,

Some mystics are meditating on the name of God or the Goddess to make a visible manifestation. Hindu bhaktiyogis - see for example Ramakrishna and his vision mother Kali, Hebrew kabbalists, see Sefer Raziel ha-malach, some christian
mystics, See book Comte de Gabalis by abbe de Villars, or it was practice ancient mysteries, see Theurgy by Iamblichus.......... etc