Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 17-02-2019, 06:09 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
We don’t meditate to see heaven, but to end suffering.

Don’t be attached to visions or lights in meditation, don’t rise or fall with them. What’s so great about brightness? My flashlight has it. It can’t help us rid ourselves of our suffering.

- Ajahn Chah

If I never glimpsed heaven I would never now how much I was suffering.

Quote:
If you want a chicken to be a duck, and a duck to be a chicken, you will suffer.

Ajahn Chah
Old 17-02-2019, 09:28 PM
janielee

Peace within oneself is to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It’s not found in a forest or on a hill top, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run towards it.

If you let go a little, you will have a little peace. If you let go a lot, you will have a lot of peace. If you let go completely, you will have complete peace.

Ajahn Chah
Old 17-02-2019, 09:30 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImthatIm
If I never glimpsed heaven I would never now how much I was suffering.

And yet, there are many legitimate traditions, Buddhism included, where countless people have moved away from suffering.

Just because you do not understand, doesn't mean it is wrong.

JL
Old 19-02-2019, 07:02 AM
Master

Quote:
We don’t meditate to see heaven, but to end suffering.

Don’t be attached to visions or lights in meditation, don’t rise or fall with them. What’s so great about brightness? My flashlight has it. It can’t help us rid ourselves of our suffering.

- Ajahn Chah

Thank you for sharing. I remember getting a copy of Ajahn Sumedho's book, The Way It Is, during the most intense period of suffering in my life. I read it as there was nothing else left in my life and i was sleeping on someone's floor and was in an intense state of pure elation and depression. I read it each day and meditated for a few weeks at least. Looking back perhaps I should have went to Amaravati and become a monk. Anyway here I am still as crazy as ever. Sadhu ! Thank you for the opportunity.
In relation to the thread, this was a period of very ordinary suffering !!

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 19-02-2019, 02:30 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:
And yet, there are many legitimate traditions, Buddhism included, where countless people have moved away from suffering.

Just because you do not understand, doesn't mean it is wrong.

JL

There are many thing I do not understand.
^

Last edited by ImthatIm : 19-02-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 20-02-2019, 05:11 PM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
Thank you for sharing. I remember getting a copy of Ajahn Sumedho's book, The Way It Is, during the most intense period of suffering in my life. I read it as there was nothing else left in my life and i was sleeping on someone's floor and was in an intense state of pure elation and depression. I read it each day and meditated for a few weeks at least. Looking back perhaps I should have went to Amaravati and become a monk. Anyway here I am still as crazy as ever. Sadhu ! Thank you for the opportunity.
In relation to the thread, this was a period of very ordinary suffering !!

Ajahn Sumedho is great.

Thanks for sharing that..

Yes, suffering. I know that path well.

Sadhu
Old 20-02-2019, 10:25 PM
janielee

the path to enlightenment is to pay attention to the ordinary qualities of our likes and dislikes, our loves and attachments.How do these things work and how do they affect us? How do they obstruct us and bind us? How can we be free from them? It's through questioning and seeing clearly that we find our way through. This is the path of knowing..

Knowing oneself and seeing clearly does not mean attaining some ethereal height of renunciation. One uses one's circumstances for understanding oneself. That's the same thing as the aspiration for freedom. It's very ordinary. We tend to look at the Buddha or other great spiritual teachers and believe that we are separate from them. That is not what the Buddha taught. The Dhamma is imminent here and now. It is present for everyone's access and realization. This is the legacy of the Buddha.

Ajahn Pasanno
https://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha287.htm